eXtacy

Weekend Estimates: GotG 17.6m | TMNT 16.8m | If I Stay 16.4m | WGST 9.0m | Sin City 6.5m

Disney will rule the box office every year for the next fifty years, that is fucking scary, between pixar, disney animation, disney films like Tomorrow Land, Marvel and Lucasfilm, jeez, they have become the monster, the mother of all studios.

Disney has made so much goddamn money they should just become the US Mint because of all the money they have right now.

Hell, put Mickey on the $1 bill. I don't care, fuck George Washington.

• Like 3

Lol....those guys at comicbookmovie will be very happy that GoTG is number 1 again.I remember someone quoting some guys trying to mobilize people to get the movie to number 1 again, I guess their wishes have been answered.Anyways, I'm pretty satisfied that the two movies I enjoyed the most in the theatre this year (Cap 2 and GoTG) are the most successful domestically. Marvel have really found a way to connect with audiences and I hope they can keep the quality and not make any other mediocre movies like Thor 2 ever again.

That same guy also spammed SHH with links to buy some sort of superhero jacket or something. No one takes them seriously, LOL!

And yeah, agreed with Marvel. When they have somehow managed to go two-for-two with crowd (and critic) pleasing movies in a year, that's some magical movie touch. The GA has spoken, and they are absolutely enamored with the products Marvel is producing.

While this summer's been underwhelming, if solely going by the downward trend of movie grosses and lack of $100mil. openers, GOTG pulling out potentially $300million shouldn't be snuffed at. Wouldn't we be cheering $300mil. for any new, unproven franchise starter in a normal, burgeoning box office year? That should mean the movie connected with the GA in a big way.

• Like 3

I wonder which other studio they will buy first : Warner, Paramount, Fox, Universal or Sony Pictures, maybe lionsgate/summit to have all that YA money.

I always felt that Columbia Pictures was a natural take over target. However, Columbia doesn't have a lot of IP. The only company that would make sense would be WB because of the Looney Tunes and Hanna-Barbara libraries and the DC Comics Universe. Plus, the massive library of older films from RKO and MGM. However, I don't think that will happen.

I really don't see any studio out there that makes sense for Disney to buy. Classic Media was the company to buy, but DWA bought them.

WB would be too big. Disney would just be saddled with a shitload of debt. Also, DC would be a complete redundancy.I believe that Kazuo Hirai has said on multiple occasions that Sony has absolutely no intention of ever selling off their film division. I think the only thing Disney would truly want from Sony is the film rights to Spider-Man...

Edited by TServo2049

Looking at the numbers, I think this might be the first weekend GOTG was overpredicted for the weekend. Sunday's 29.6% might be a bit on the optimistic side, seeing how the weekday drops (and by extension, Sunday to an extent) are getting bigger along with the Friday/Saturday boosts, we might be looking more towards a 33-35% drop (for Sunday). That's still a fantastic hold for the weekend though.

You just want to suck the joy out of everything.

:P 

• Like 1

WB would be too big. Disney would just be saddled with a shitload of debt. Also, DC would be a complete redundancy.I believe that Kazuo Hirai has said on multiple occasions that Sony has absolutely no intention of ever selling off their film division. I think the only thing Disney would truly want from Sony is the film rights to Spider-Man...

Sony is already destroying Spiderman. Is only a matter of time before they beg Marvel to buy Spidey.
  • Like 1

I wonder which other studio they will buy first : Warner, Paramount, Fox, Universal or Sony Pictures, maybe lionsgate/summit to have all that YA money.

Fox is way too big (and I wouldn't put my hands on them, too fast grown with money not owned), WB just fought of a FOX buy try...

=> I do not see one of the big ones even match to their portfolio for the moment

Disney seems to work in a growing teams slowly manner, not sure if they want to add as early a new big project. They also seem for now rather concentrated on the strengthening of their distribution and merchandise system/contracts, have to fight of Amazon's black-mail tries and so on

I always felt that Columbia Pictures was a natural take over target. However, Columbia doesn't have a lot of IP. The only company that would make sense would be WB because of the Looney Tunes and Hanna-Barbara libraries and the DC Comics Universe. Plus, the massive library of older films from RKO and MGM. However, I don't think that will happen.

I really don't see any studio out there that makes sense for Disney to buy. Classic Media was the company to buy, but DWA bought them.

As long as no new news get released, for now I also do not see anything like that = agree

Edited by terrestrial

Well Disney can't really buy out a whole bunch of studios, that would create a monopoly. Also eventually, the superhero movie explosion will slow down. The studios are already going to speed up the fatigue with the amount being released in the next five years. Edited by babz06

Speaking of Disney, he played one of the best Walt "expies" ever put on film...My generation will mourn him for that role alone. Farewell, John Hammond.(We had better get a dedication to him on Jurassic World...)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1