Olive

Weekend Numbers (4 day estimates pg 35)

Except 95% of movies that even get re-released are ones that were hugely successful back in their original release or have long since made profit through other ways. So yeah I don't really accept that as a reason these re-releases have to be the same price as a new movie.

You're talking at this point in time. I'm talking historically.

The price of a ticket is the price of a ticket. I don't really see the issue with re-releases costing the same as a current release.

• Like 3

Those widespread and common re-releases happened before the advent of VHS, DVD, VOD, Netflix.  It took years for them even to show up television, in some cases decades and in the case of Disney's animated classics - never.  Now people can already stream or own them for the entire family for less than one ticket.   So charging like they did for the decades out of date business model doesn't make much sense.

But I still paid $14 to see Raiders Of The Lost Ark during it's last re-release. :P

Video releases killed off the movie re-releases in theaters. Disney used to do it all the time back then.Piracy is killing video sales. Video sales for movies now suck, with the exceptions of mega hits like Avatar, Frozen, and the Avengers.

Video releases killed off the movie re-releases in theaters. Disney used to do it all the time back then.Piracy is killing video sales. Video sales for movies now suck, with the exceptions of mega hits like Avatar, Frozen, and the Avengers.

When I was younger and lived in a rougher neighborhood, I use to get DVDs bootleg at the same quality as the originals. Sometimes they have HD during their theater runs. Looking back I wish I wouldn't have bought a single movie.
  • Like 1

So I'm visiting friends this weekend, and they've got one of the coolest theaters in Canada where they live IMHO ("just Canda" but hey, it's my home) should we see one of the new releases, or Guardians? As Above/So Below, or November Man worth it???

GOTG crossing 300m DOM will be the story of the year, no doubt. I even havent seen the movie, will wait for the bluray. But the fact it's outgrossing the already very successful Winter Soldier by a wide margin is incredible.  August can carry blockbusters, 12 years after Signs. Good news for Hollywood, i guess.

• Like 1

Maybe to some they were Z list but Marvel characters always had movie potential. When I first heard Iron Man was getting a movie, I jumped around all over my house.

so what did you do after that post-credit scene...?  :)

You're talking at this point in time. I'm talking historically.The price of a ticket is the price of a ticket. I don't really see the issue with re-releases costing the same as a current release.

If it's a movie people are really wanting to see, they will see it no matter what. If the original, unaltered SW trilogy got re-released again nobody would complain about ticket prices.
  • Like 3

I love seeing re-release in theaters too. But the price of a new movie is completely unnecessary and reeks of studio greed. Unless like terrestrial said and there's something new/remastered about it or it has a premium (3d/imax). Though even then it shouldn't be as much as a brand new imax 3d movie.

Maybe but its simple supply and demand.  Will lowering the prices increase interest.  Likely.  But will it be enough to offset the lost dollars per ticket?  We won't know for sure but by the early numbers it looks like it's doing alright for a straight release with no enhancements.