Olive

Weekend Numbers (4 day estimates pg 35)

I was gonna see Ghostbusters with a friend last night until we realized the tickets were 12 bucks for a freakin' 30 year old movie. :mellow:  If it were IMAX or something that would be one thing, but c'mon now.

I think movie theaters should regularly stagger ticket prices. Not just for re-releases but smaller indies and even mid budget movies.  I think they'd wind up doing more business, especially where a ticket costs $14 (not including 3D or IMAX).  People who'd normally just wait for TV or Netflix might decide the movie is worth $7 or $10 in the theater but not $14. Just looks at the jumps we get from cheap Tues in Canada.

The big problem would be security and people buying cheaper tickets to get into more expensive movies.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

I was gonna see Ghostbusters with a friend last night until we realized the tickets were 12 bucks for a freakin' 30 year old movie. :mellow: If it were IMAX or something that would be one thing, but c'mon now.

$15 for the theater closest to where I live. Still I'm going to catch it. Hopefully my brother will come along
  • Like 1

I was gonna see Ghostbusters with a friend last night until we realized the tickets were 12 bucks for a freakin' 30 year old movie. :mellow: If it were IMAX or something that would be one thing, but c'mon now.

$15 for the theater closest to where I live. Still I'm going to catch it. Hopefully my brother will come along
  • Like 1

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/guardians-of-the-galaxy-box-office-win-1201294355/

August 29, 2014 | 06:15PM PT

The Marvel-Disney tentpole grossed $3.5 million on Friday — its 29th day of release — for a projected $19 million weekend at the U.S. box office.

That matched Pierce Brosnan’s actioner “The November Man” in its third day for Relativity and Universal’s found-footage thriller “As Above, So Below” with $3.2 million on its opening day.

“November Man” was performing above recent forecasts and was projected to gross around $15 million for the four-day weekend, followed by the fourth weekend of Paramount’s “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” at about $13 millon.

“As Above” is likely to finish the frame at the upper end of projections with $11 million, edging out Fox’s third weekend of “Let’s Be Cops” at about $10.4 million and Warner’s second weekend of weeper “If I Stay.”

Sony’s re-release of “Ghostbusters,” aimed to coincide with the 30th anniversary of its opening, showed life with $1 million at 784 locations Friday and appears headed for $3.8 million over the weekend.

The original “Ghostbusters” was a smash hit in 1984 with $238 million — although its opening weekend was a modest $13.6 million. It won the weekend nine times, including in its 13th weekend.

GOTG steams toward $300m.  November Man bounces back up and Variety unlike Deadline knows Ghostbusters wasn't just a  cult hit.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

I think movie theaters should regularly stagger ticket prices. Not just for re-releases but smaller indies and even mid budget movies.  I think they'd wind up doing more business, especially where a ticket costs $14 (not including 3D or IMAX).  People who'd normally just wait for TV or Netflix might decide the movie is worth $7 or $10 in the theater but not $14. Just looks at the jumps we get from cheap Tues in Canada.

The big problem would be security and people buying cheaper tickets to get into more expensive movies.

Show Ghostbusters on discount Tuesdays then. :P

I really don't see why an old film re-release should be the same price as a new one in the theaters though. It just takes away so much of the incentive to see it. I mean second run movies aren't the same price as when they're in first run. It doesn't make sense (aside from greed that is).

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

I really don't see why an old film re-release should be the same price as a new one in the theaters though. It just takes away so much of the incentive to see it. I mean second run movies aren't the same price as when they're in first run. It doesn't make sense (aside from greed that is).

The price is fine if the fans are willing to pay for it.

I remember going to see Star Trek Best of Both Worlds a while back at a theater with tickets being sold for $10. It was an only one day event. It was really fun and I thought it was worth it.

I also saw TPM, The Lion King, and Jurassic Park rereleases since I never saw them in theaters before. I went to those on discount Tuesdays though.

I don't consider Ghostbusters worth it for the same price, but to be fair there are very few movie rereleases that I am willing to pay to go see. ;)

Edited by Mojoguy

Is all about that

Posted Image

• Like 3

For re-released as 'is' I understand that, not sure about remastered or 3D or... versions. Still, a bit of reduce should be possible for that too

There are fans, like myself, who would pay for the experience of watching it on the big screen. Yeah I've seen it more times than I could count but there's something about watching it in a theater. Much like JP, I know I'm going to enjoy every minute.

There are fans, like myself, who would pay for the experience of watching it on the big screen. Yeah I've seen it more times than I could count but there's something about watching it in a theater. Much like JP, I know I'm going to enjoy every minute.

I love seeing re-release in theaters too. But the price of a new movie is completely unnecessary and reeks of studio greed. Unless like terrestrial said and there's something new/remastered about it or it has a premium (3d/imax). Though even then it shouldn't be as much as a brand new imax 3d movie.

I love seeing re-release in theaters too. But the price of a new movie is completely unnecessary and reeks of studio greed. Unless like terrestrial said and there's something new/remastered about it or it has a premium (3d/imax). Though even then it shouldn't be as much as a brand new imax 3d movie.

I'm sure percentages have changed given all the new revenue options, but earning money over the long term (through multiple re-releases) was key to budgets being green-lit back in the day. It's how the business has operated ever since movies first became popular public entertainment.

• Like 1

I'm sure percentages have changed given all the new revenue options, but earning money over the long term (through multiple re-releases) was key to budgets being green-lit back in the day. It's how the business has operated ever since movies first became popular public entertainment.

Except 95% of movies that even get re-released are ones that were hugely successful back in their original release or have long since made profit through other ways. So yeah I don't really accept that as a reason these re-releases have to be the same price as a new movie.

• Like 1

GOTG Fri- 3.5mSat-5.5mSun-5.8m. 3 day weekend - 14.8M Mon-5m. 4 day weekend - 19.8M. Total- 278M I think it will earn between 305-315m when all said and done, enough to become the leggiest MCU movie.

Edited by jessie

GOTG Fri- 3.5mSat-5.5mSun-5.8m. 3 day weekend - 14.8M Mon-5m. 4 day weekend - 19.8M. Total- 278M I think it will earn between 305-310m when all said and done, enough to become the leggiest MCU movie.

To think this will surpass Superman but the MCU is an unstoppable machine at this point.
  • Like 1

To think this will surpass Superman but the MCU is an unstoppable machine at this point.

Superman had the potential to go much higher. It made 289m and it was shit. If it was great, the potential was there for 400m.
  • Like 3

Except 95% of movies that even get re-released are ones that were hugely successful back in their original release or have long since made profit through other ways. So yeah I don't really accept that as a reason these re-releases have to be the same price as a new movie.

Movies like Disney's Sleeping Beauty only made a profit through its rereleases.