Olive

Weekend Numbers (4 day estimates pg 35)

How did you make this

I took the budget from the BoxOffice.com entries for each movie, because they include both production and marketing. I took the gross box office from Box Office Mojo, because they split out the foreign box office by country, so I could tell what came from China and what didn't. Then, like I said, I calculated the net as 55% of the US gross + 25% of the China gross + 40% of the other foreign gross, and subtracted the budget from that.

Or were you asking about the HTML coding for the table? You can see that by quoting the post in a reply, then selecting "Enable HTML".

• Like 1

Also Sin City 2 Thursday (7th day of release) $422k, Friday (8th day of release) $610k LOL what more can you say (that has to be a historically awful increase)??? The carnage on how many theaters will dump this next Thursday will be hilarious. Whenever you bring up biggest bomb (even with ridiculously low expectations already) this has to be up there. Makes RIPD look like Avatar.

Edited by GiantCALBears

Earlier in this thread people were talking about the biggest bombs of the year. Calculating losses strictly as box office revenue minus production and marketing, and calculating revenue using the "55% US, 25% China, 40% other" formula, none of the movies mentioned was a bigger bomb than Transcendence. Even if the Expendables and Sin City had been pulled from all theaters after Thursday, they still would have lost slightly less than Transcendence did:

Not sure about the 40% anymore, the last few years it seems to have increased a bit.

Also some articles seem to take into account the taxes to pay in the countries where the results come from, and some not. And the advertising.....

Before taxes the studios/distributors get e.g. in Germany 53.5% (in Germany a 2.5% of all results gets into a general movie supporting pot) and in the Netherlands 55%.

I prefer to use the 40% for calculation too, but with the awareness about change....

• Like 1

As Above, So Below - really good.  never seen anything like it before.  its brand new like Lucy.  best found footage film since Blairwitch. 

and to brag a bit, after HTTYD2 opened, I recognized Maleficent and jumped on the TMNT bandwagon 150M+ and i was theorizing about 275+ spectacular reviews etc for Guardians after that second trailer was updated on its forum some months ago.  :ph34r:

As Above, So Below - really good.  never seen anything like it before.  its brand new like Lucy.  best found footage film since Blairwitch. 

and to brag a bit, after HTTYD2 opened, I recognized Maleficent and jumped on the TMNT bandwagon 150M+ and i was theorizing about 275+ spectacular reviews etc for Guardians after that second trailer was updated on its forum some months ago.  :ph34r:

now Galaxy = better #'s for Jupiter.  lets hope this life in film does not get oversaturated and lead to less quality movies in the future when space movies become bigger bucks (kind of like everything into darkness oversaturated but nothing like the dark knight)

As Above, So Below - really good. never seen anything like it before. its brand new like Lucy. best found footage film since Blairwitch. and to brag a bit, after HTTYD2 opened, I recognized Maleficent and jumped on the TMNT bandwagon 150M+ and i was theorizing about 275+ spectacular reviews etc for Guardians after that second trailer was updated on its forum some months ago. :ph34r:

Yet no quote to be found :P

LOL.  pessimistic, but oh well...

Posted Image Posted by Dominic Cobbrey on 22 May 2014 - 05:20 PM in Box Office Discussion (Please Hide Spoilers)

After seeing the second trailer, this thread becomes more interesting.  It could be #1 for 3 weekends in a row depending on how Ninja Turtles does.  It could go up to 300M and if it gets better than Avengers reviews and it is Americanized, unfortunately a BP nomination.

8/1-8/3

1. GOTG - 90.0

8/8-8/10

1. Turtles - 50

2. GOTG - 50 - 185

3. Storm - 35

8/15-8/17

1. Expendables 3 - 33

2. GOTG - 32 - 242

3. Turtles - 25 - 103

4. Storm - 15 - 68

and complete honesty...

Guardians of the Galaxy | Now in Theaters! 92% on RT! Higher on Metac...

Posted Image Posted by Dominic Cobbrey on 15 June 2014 - 12:38 AM in Box Office Discussion (Please Hide Spoilers)

for a month I have been convinced this movie will open north of 90M.  I just do not want to become delusional about this leading up to its OW and have a wayy off prediction

but anyways, surprisingly strong for November Man and decent for As Above.  When watching As Above, i thought it was a neat way to top off the summer (very deep, good for returning schools).  I sat in the front row with eyes wide open.  I wonder if back to school WOM will soften any drops next week????? Does anyone know how or why x-men, chef, and dragon will loose so many theaters despite there being one movie being released in 1,800 screens, one expansion of 1,000 screens, and about 500 screens of other expansions plus some IMAX losses?  it still should not justify some movies completely falling off.  for instance, Into the Storm should not loose too many theaters and get good back to school WOM for a couple more weekends above 1M,

• Like 1

Kinda funny how a tree and a raccoon are gonna beat Superman at the BO, a movie that was 15 times easier to screw up than the original Superhero. Posted Image

More nonsense from a childish DC and MoS hater. That also forgets GotG has beaten HULK,Iron Man 1 and 2,Thor 1+2, Cap 1+2

Edited by mredman

Posted Image Posted by Dominic Cobbrey on 22 June 2014 - 04:47 PM in Box Office Discussion (Please Hide Spoilers)

I am going to hop on the bandwagon. Kids own the box office right now. It may have not shown from HTTYD2, but this may counterprogram Apes when Apes underperforms and both movies push it to 190.

That was some pretty good predictong.

More nonsense from a childish DC and MoS hater. That also forgets GotG has beaten HULK,Iron Man 1 and 2,Thor 1+2, Cap 1+2

lol at comparing Superman to D-list superheroes (except maybe Hulk) 

Edited by ban1o