Dark Jedi Master 007

Film Critics

So this thread has two purposes:1. Who are your favorite film critics?2. What makes a film critic good?I know a lot of you think that film critics are snobs or stupid, but I'm really not interested in having that discussion in this thread. I mean, I can't stop you from having it, but I myself just don't care. I just want to ask these two questions at the top.I can't really answer the 2nd question. But my answers to the first question include: Matt Zoller Seitz, Film Crit Hulk, The AV Club (the entire site), The Dissolve (most of the site), Todd VanDerWerff, and Dana Stevens.

Not really a "fan" of any particular film critic, but I think a good critic is somebody who can make you want to see a movie without explaining the plot and/or spoiling the movie, there are way too may critics now that do pretty much just that.  There are some critics though I can safely say I don't like such as Rex Reed, Devin Faraci and his e-clique at BAD, and master troll Armond White.

• Like 1

MaryAnn Johanson is my favorite, but I think most major publication critics are fairy respectable. I always like reading Variety and THR's writeups.

I think any critic that fulfills the basic requirements of giving and defending their opinion on a film is worthy of being listened to. What I don't like are the ones that use their reviews to attack the opposing perspective.

Edited by tribefan695

Thoughts on a few of the critics posted:Mary Ann Johansson-Her writing style bugs me.Drew McWeeny-He is good. His reviews sometimes seem to worry to much about his emotions, as opposed to explaining how the film created those emotions.Richard Roeper-IDK how to feel about him. He has a lot of passion, but rarely any valuable observations, imo.

Even critics that I really like, I don't ALWAYS agree with...

Given that, I really like JeremyJahns, Schmoes Know and Chris Stuckmann on youtube

I like reading Scott Mendelson's reviews on forbes, and Roger Ebert's reviews for older movies

I'm also a fan of AMC Movie Talk, so when they do their reviews, I'm generally excited to watch them  :)

• Like 1

I read Berardinelli more than anyone else. He was the second critic whose writing I started to read regularly (after Ebert), so I've stuck around as a loyal reader since the mid-2000s. Among the professionals, I most enjoy A.O. Scott, the rotating group at The Hollywood Reporter, and Michael Phillips.

I'm still partial to his "inside the studio" review of Dukes of Hazzard.  :lol: His detractors are correct in saying that his writing is mostly dry and formulaic (although that's going to be true of many critics, so whatever), but I love it when he cranks one out that is just dripping with cynicism.

I read Berardinelli more than anyone else. He was the second critic whose writing I started to read regularly (after Ebert), so I've stuck around as a loyal reader since the mid-2000s. Among the professionals, I most enjoy A.O. Scott, the rotating group at The Hollywood Reporter, and Michael Phillips.

I don't read critic reviews but my fave is probably Berardinelli since he started off as one of us, a regular fan, whose reviews started getting picked up by the trades.