RyneOh1040

Weekend Numbers (NGD 24.5M)

Of course Scarjo is a star but the success of a movie is always a combination of multiple factors.Her fame did nothing for a difficult art house film like Under the Skin and she actually promoted this one a little bit.But there s no doubt Scarjo ´s star is burning bright right now

Without her Under the Skin might not have been made. 

• Like 1

Posted Image

Mmm I said second highest grossing. Obviously MJ1 will win the year. That's a forgone conclusion.  I was saying only Hobbit3 has a chance to beat GOTG for second highest grossing film. 

Edited by ban1o

SO if Guardians gets to 320 million it has a decent chance of being the 2nd highest grossing film of the year (domestically of course). Only film that imo has a chance to beat it is The Hobbit. 

There's no IF about that. GOTG is a stone cold lock for 320. It's got a very good shot at 325 now too. And more and more people are going to jump on the 330 train.

That said, new movies will finally be making a decent dent at the box office over the next few weekends. Though No Good Deed did impressively well this weekend, but that's a movie that appeals to a very specific demographic, one that likely isn't GOTG's strongest. Tons of movies had a drop in the 20% range this week. So expect bigger drops for everything, including GOTG, in the weeks ahead. The combination of theater drops and movies that people actually want to see will slow it down a little.

SO if Guardians gets to 320 million it has a decent chance of being the 2nd highest grossing film of the year (domestically of course). Only film that imo has a chance to beat it is The Hobbit.

Interstellar has a better chance than The Hobbit
  • Like 2

And yes, that's a super number for Lucy too.

That's an example of the perfect trailer at the perfect time. Not only was it a great trailer that caught everybody off guard and impressed nearly everyone (except for the sad people who couldn't get over the % of brain thing, as if every other movie they've ever enjoyed was perfectly realistic and didn't require any leaps of imagination or science), but it was in the perfect position too, being caught by millions of people right before they saw CATWS (the #1 movie of the year for a long time). The fact that it starred ScarJo and was attached to CATWS made it a trailer that everyone remembered seeing and lots of people talked about afterwards.

• Like 3

Cap 3 will likely decrease in a lot of markets. I think Cap 2 kind of hit its zeitgeist. I dont see it increasing. And I loved Cap2 so this is not hater talk.

A part of me agrees with you, but another part of me feels like Cap 3 will get the huge Avengers bump that Iron Man 3 did.

(Ant-Man will be partially affected, but not to the same level as Cap)

• Like 1

Im about to see The Captive....Atom Egoyans latest film starring Ryan Reynolds. Its only in Canada right now. Yheres also a sold out 11 AM showing of Shrek Forever. Cineplex has kids movies for 4 $ on Saturday mornings.

You guys charge for kids movies? My local theaters always have those programs for free (but then insanely jack up the popcorn prices for those shows)

Just saw a trailer for Whiplash. Miles Teller and JK Simmons. Got chills. Might be some Oscar noms. I liked Teller instantly after Spectacular Now.

Yeah, I saw that trailer for the first time with Magic in the Moonlight, and it honestly looked like the best or second best movie of the bunch (Birdman looked great too, but I essentially got every major Oscar contender as a trailer)

• Like 4