The Drop (2014)

13 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Excellent film. It has some maddening plot holes/confusion, but the acting/tone/directing makes up for it. Hardy is spectacular. Gandolfini will be missed The Belgian guy is a standout. The final twist/climatic reveal is one of the best moments on film this year. Really stuck with me. Worth a watch.

I dug this, its a seedy slow burn that feels almost unusually realistic.  This might build too slow for the attention deficit disorder that plagues a lot of modern audiences, its way more of a character rooted drama than a thriller(there are no big shootout scenes, car chases, gratuitous sex, etc).  Aside from being well written with great acting across the board, it reminded me of those classic crime dramas/underworld tales of the 1970s.  And seeing James Gandolfini kill it again a year after he died was pretty haunting... and it made some of his dialogue pretty ironic.

Also, is it just me, or was that an ambiguous ending? Like, either Bob and Nadia started a real friendship/romance or she set a trap for him.  When she went back inside to get her jacket she didn't go in the front door, she went around to the back and the last scene of the film is the sound of footsteps walking torwards him which could've been her or the cops?  Probably overthinking this.

A

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 3

I think some of it is fantastic (Gandolfini's monologue on the couch and Hardy's monologue in the climax were really well written), some of it is by the numbers (everything with Rapace and her ex feels like it's out of a lesser film). But this was a good watching experience. Hardy is a fucking incredible actor. He's never played a more pathetic character and his squirminess is irresistible. 

• Like 3

I loved the sense of humor this movie had, it made the characters feel alive and you don't see this kind of thing much nowadays. Anyway, great pacing and directing with some stellar performances in there, especially Hardy. That man is killing it right now. In my top 5 of 2014 :)

9/10

• Like 1

It's a very solid movie, in large part because of Hardy, Gandolfini, and Rapace. It's not a new story at all, but it's well-told and the reveal at the climax is very well done.

As a random aside, Hardy is a huge dog lover in real life and adopted two of the dogs in the movie.

B+

Overall a B+.

If you're a dog lover this film will make you want to hug your dog immediately.

giphy.gif

Oh Numbers and Tele, you B+'ers do know you can give an A-/A to a movie that doesn't really do anything new as long as it does it better than most of them? ;)

• Like 3

Very good slow burn movie. It is admirable how it sustains tension throughout without any action or violence, it makes the final act much more powerful because of it. Gandolfini was expectedly great in a role he probably can (could :( ) play in his sleep and all the other supporting players from Rapace to the slimy detective were pretty solid too. But Hardy is the standout, he's once more incredible and steals the show even from the adorable puppy, which is no easy feat in my book.

B+.

giphy.gif

Oh Numbers and Tele, you B+'ers do know you can give an A-/A to a movie that doesn't really do anything new as long as it does it better than most of them? ;)

It felt like it needed an extra jolt to cross that barrier.

• Like 1