rukaio101

Box Office.com's Top 100 films of All Time (2014 edition)- List Complete! Everyone is Disappointed!

Well it looks like I have to get on the TDK bandwagon as its the only film I see that can deny me getting really pissed off when ROTK, ANH or ESB wins this.

(Please let there be a disney animation left which can come in and shock us all)

Well it looks like I have to get on the TDK bandwagon as its the only film I see that can deny me getting really pissed off when ROTK, ANH or ESB wins this.

(Please let there be a disney animation left which can come in and shock us all)

Sorry buddy, but it looks like ESB will be winning this like it should. :)
  • Like 1

6. The Godfather (1972) 53 points- 17 votes

"Only don't tell me you're innocent. Because it insults my intelligence and makes me very angry."

The-Godfather-Poster.jpg

The story begins as "Don" Vito Corleone, the head of a New York Mafia "family", oversees his daughter's wedding with his wife Carmela. His beloved son Michael has just come home from the war, but does not intend to become part of his father's business. Through Michael's life the nature of the family business becomes clear. The business of the family is just like the head of the family, kind and benevolent to those who give respect, but given to ruthless violence whenever anything stands against the good of the family. Don Vito lives his life in the way of the old country, but times are changing and some don't want to follow the old ways and look out for community and "family". An up and coming rival of the Corleone family wants to start selling drugs in New York, and needs the Don's influence to further his plan. The clash of the Don's fading old world values and the new ways will demand a terrible price, especially from Michael, all for the sake of the family.

Trivia: Sergio Leone was approached to direct the film, but turned it down since he felt the story, which glorified the Mafia, was not interesting enough. He later regretted refusing the offer, but would go on to direct his own critically acclaimed gangster film, Once Upon a Time in America (1984).

Ruk's Comments

"Everyone clear why this is here? I don't need to explain it? Good."

• Like 16

5. The Lion King (1994) 54 points- 20 votes

"Yes. Well, forgive me for not leaping for joy. Bad back, you know."

lion_king_ver4_xlg.jpg

A young lion prince is born in Africa, thus making his uncle Scar the second in line to the throne. Scar plots with the hyenas to kill King Mufasa and Prince Simba, thus making himself King. The King is killed and Simba is led to believe by Scar that it was his fault, and so flees the kingdom in shame. After years of exile he is persuaded to return home to overthrow the usurper and claim the kingdom as his own thus completing the "Circle of Life".

Trivia: The lyric for the opening chant of "The Circle of Life" is: "Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba / Sithi uhm ingonyama / Nants ingonyama bagithi baba / Sithi uhhmm ingonyama / Ingonyama Siyo Nqoba / Ingonyama Ingonyama nengw enamabala". This translates as: "Here comes a lion, Father / Oh yes, it's a lion / Here comes a lion, Father / Oh yes, it's a lion / A lion We're going to conquer / A lion A lion and a leopard come to this open place".

Ruk's Comments

"Probably the best known film adaptation of Hamlet.... rather oddly, this is considered by many to be not only the peak of Disney's Renaissance but the best Disney film period. Personally, I prefer Beauty and the Beast, but there's no denying this has a hell of a lot going for it, with a great soundtrack, awe-inspiring visuals and Jeremy Irons in full-on Ham mode." 

• Like 13

4. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) 55.3 points- 18 votes

"That still only counts as one."

the-lord-of-the-rings-the-return-of-the-

While Frodo & Sam continue to approach Mount Doom to destroy the One Ring, unaware of the path Gollum is leading them, the former Fellowship aid Rohan & Gondor in a great battle in the Pelennor Fields, Minas Tirith and the Black Gates as Sauron wages his last war against Middle-Earth.

Trivia: Fans of the film often speculate why the characters didn't just fly on the giant eagles into Mordor and drop the ring into Mount Doom. This is not, in fact, a plot hole. This was explained in the book but the film makers didn't think there would have been a need to because they felt it was obvious why they didn't do this. The eye of Sauron would have been a major obstacle. Even Tolkien vetoed the abuse of eagles' intervention when presented an early project of a movie from his book.

Ruk's Comments

"Good thing this film made it onto the list what with it being good and all... with its goodness and... stuff.

It doesn't have singing orcs though. Check and mate there, Peter Jackson."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y

• Like 10

4. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) 55.3 points- 18 votes

"That still only counts as one."

the-lord-of-the-rings-the-return-of-the-

While Frodo & Sam continue to approach Mount Doom to destroy the One Ring, unaware of the path Gollum is leading them, the former Fellowship aid Rohan & Gondor in a great battle in the Pelennor Fields, Minas Tirith and the Black Gates as Sauron wages his last war against Middle-Earth.

Trivia: Fans of the film often speculate why the characters didn't just fly on the giant eagles into Mordor and drop the ring into Mount Doom. This is not, in fact, a plot hole. This was explained in the book but the film makers didn't think there would have been a need to because they felt it was obvious why they didn't do this. The eye of Sauron would have been a major obstacle. Even Tolkien vetoed the abuse of eagles' intervention when presented an early project of a movie from his book.

Ruk's Comments

"Good thing this film made it onto the list what with it being good and all... with its goodness and... stuff.

It doesn't have singing orcs though. Check and mate there, Peter Jackson."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y

Ah, fuck! I was hoping this would win. :(

3. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977) 60.3 points- 22 votes

"Boring conversation anyway."

star-wars-iv-a-new-hope-poster1.jpg

A young boy from Tatooine sets out on an adventure with an old Jedi named Obi-Wan Kenobi as his mentor to save Princess Leia from the ruthless Darth Vader and Destroy the Death Star built by the Empire which has the power to destroy the entire galaxy.

Trivia: Peter Cushing found the boots that came with his costume extremely uncomfortable to wear because they were too small for his feet. Thus he only wore them in the few shots in which Tarkin's feet could be seen. In all other shots, Peter Cushing wore a pair of fuzzy slippers.

Ruk's Comments

"The film that began it all*, Star Wars has had a humongous effect on the entertainment industry as we know it and, along with Jaws, helped cement the Summer Blockbuster. Whether you believe this was George Lucas's one shot wonder or whether you think it rips off Akira Kurosawa (BTW, you all should be ashamed none of his films made it onto this list) or whether you think this film is ranked too highly**, there's no denying Star Wars helped to revolutionise the sci-fi movie. So many scenes and shots in it are ingrained into popular consciousness, to a level unmatched by any other movie series.

So, here's to Star Wars being awesome. And now we can watch Ethan and James embarrass themselves in the comments."

*It all being decades of nerdrage, over-merchandising and terrifyingly bad cosplay.

** A movie on this list being ranked too high/low? What spore of madness is this?!

• Like 11

The final two movies (which we've all guessed by now) will be revealed tomorrow. Interestingly, there's less than 2 points of difference between them.