grim22

Weekend Estimates: Annabelle - 37.2M | Gone Girl - 38M | Equalizer - 19M | Maze Runner - 12M | Left Behind - 6.8M

I dont think people really dislike him personally. Just the majority of his movies enforce stereotypes about black people. That all of them are religious, country/southern, involved in some type of crime, etc. He has a very narrow, niche audience and i dont think he's a versatile filmmaker. However, he's been so successful and i applaud that. But as a black person who isnt religious or southern, I want more films that tell different stories about black people. Whether its' romance, sci-fi, action. I'd be happier if/when more upcoming black filmmakers like Ava Duvernay, Ryan Coogler get their shine. Gina Prince-Bythewood is also another black filmaker that i enjoy, she has Beyond the Lights coming out in November, which has been getting great reviews.

Pretty much this.

Also A lot of the "black" entertainment from America always feels as if they're made by a person who hates black people. I remember when we got BET in the UK, i couldn't believe it. How is this the stuff you're trying to aim at me and my family? Movies and shows that constantly come out with all this stereotypical shit, like their meant to insult me rather than entertain me.

• Like 5

You guys realize that some of Tyler Perry's loudest critics are also black, right? Larry the Cable Guy and Duck Dynasty have fans, too, but a lot of Southerners aren't thrilled with the images they trade in. It's the same sort of thing with Tyler Perry; people aren't jealous or haters, they just think his material is loaded with outdated, regrettable stereotypes.

He's good in Gone Girl, though... maybe being around Fincher will rub off on him, or he'll let himself be directed by other filmmakers more often.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 7

Annabelle

Domestic: $37,200,000   61.8%

+ Foreign: $23,000,000   38.2%

= Worldwide: $60,200,000

Good for Annabelle... will probably check it out on Netflix, or On Demand, before I see Conjuring 2!

I don't think you can compare being Canadian to being black.

I have no time for people who get offended by stereotypes.  Stereotypes are there because there's truth to it.  It's funny how people get offended by his comedic portrayal of black people but they conveniently develop amnesia when it comes to all the successful black characters in his films.  

• Like 6

People mainly hate him for his movies, enforcing stereotypes, shoving religion down people's throats, and not listening to critics. Or at least that's what I've been told. He seems like a nice guy, and I've heard he's good in Gone Girl, but I won't know until 20 minutes or so when I'm at the cinema. But frankly, I'm not a guy who focuses on ranting or complaining about stuff. I'd rather promote what I love than showcase what I hate. But hey, what do I know?

I don't really get how he shoves religion down anyone's throats. His movies deal with broad stereotypes within the culture he grew up in... and said culture has a strong religious component. If you disagree with that or any message/theme associated with it, then just don't watch his movies. It's not like he's going around proselytizing.

A lot of people feel as if his movies are built around negative black stereotypes and find his work fairly insulting. In some cases I agree. It's like watching 90 minutes of the worst BET has to offer.

And yet all sorts of other black comedians deal with similar stereotypes and in similar ways: Eddie Murphy (cross-dressing, multiple characters, fat-suits, etc), In Living Color, etc.

I guess as a Canadian I should be offended with Trey Parker and Matt Stone.  In fact, I'm mentally scarred.

Exactly.

• Like 3

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/goldstandard/la-et-mn-gone-girl-academy-oscars-20141004-column.html

“What did I just see?” one Oscar-nominated producer asked, walking along Wilshire Boulevard to his car. "That's it? Really? I've seen better social commentary in a good episode of 'Bob's Burgers.'"

Fuck these people.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 7

I don't really get how he shoves religion down anyone's throats. His movies deal with broad stereotypes within the culture he grew up in... and said culture has a strong religious component. If you disagree with that or any message/theme associated with it, then just don't watch his movies. It's not like he's going around proselytizing.

Well, that's what I've been told by people. I honestly have seen only one, maybe two of his movies, and they were just more boring than insulting to me. And in terms of Gone Girl, well, he was pretty great in the movie, but could have been better.

• Like 1