72 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Thor

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

*1/2 out of *****

Aside from feeling like Beauty and the Beast if you subtracted 95% of its plot and character development, it also featured one of my most despised, cliched villain tropes, 'threatening the romantic interest of the hero, thus turning the battle in the hero's favor", hated it in Spider-Man and hated it here.

Edited by Squaremaster316
  • Like 3

I liked it more than the first time. Loved the visuals, score and father/son/brother relationship. Hated the third act, Branagh doesn't know how to film action, Erik Selvig was annoying, more conveniences than normal for Superhero films, the Destroyer itself was greatly done but all action scene with him was very underwhelming. B (70)

interesting trivia: In April 2006, screenwriter and "Thor" fan Mark Protosevich wrote a script for the film, which he described as "an Old Testament God who becomes a New Testament God." However, the script was so laden with VFX-worthy sequences that it would require $300 million to film, so when Matthew Vaughn signed on, he rewrote and trimmed the script to bring the budget down to a more agreeable $150 million.

• Like 1

I think it was quite a novelty at first.

A fantasy, Norse typed superhero film.

It was unique and Thor was quite likeable and Loki is very likeable.

However the newer efforts from Marvel make diminish this film a bit. 

Haven't watched this since 2011. I found it terribly mediocre back then but I think I appreciate it more on second viewing.

Things that I remembered being bad and still are:

-The story is very slight, it kind of feels like it takes place in a day and a half.

-Every character that isn't Thor or Loki is white noise (pretty common for a Marvel origin movie).

-Portman's character isn't just bad, it's hilariously bad. She pretty much goes from a "tough" "smart" woman to a 13 year old school girl everytime she's on screen with Thor. It was jarring that pretty much from the very first scene she stares at him moon-eyed and giggles!!! She giggles like 5 different times in this movie for no apparent reason other than "she's in loooooove". And then she has a scene with someone else and she's back again in "my life's work" "einstein-rosenberg bridge" mode. I know a female character must be more than one thing but this one is literally a split personality.

Things that surprised me the second time:

-Hemsworth/Hiddleston: I never really thought much of Thor/Hemsworth in all those Marvel movies and I hoped on the Loki's awesome train after the Avengers. But they are both very good in the first movie. Hemsworth is really good both in the kitschy/theatrical dialogue of Asgard and the fish out of water comedy on earth. Hiddleston is great too. His character starts complex and devolves to cackling villain by the end and he's not Avengers Loki yet, but he'll still be the best Marvel villain just from this movie (not exactly a high bar but still).

-The bizzare tonal shift between the Asgard and the desert small town. It's definately strange, but I think it kind of works and gives the movie an identity.

B-.

-

• Like 1

Thor has a soft spot in my heart, it may not be the best film ever, but it just hit all the right chords for me, Hemsworth is great as Thor, the humor unlike some marvel films is fresh and downright hilarious in parts, Kenneth Branagh's charm really shines through here. and it is visually gorgeous. and the final battle is really good with lots of emotional impact, something many of the final showdowns in marvel films seem to fail short of, right up there with First Avenger for me. ~A

Too bad Dark World fell so flat. hopefully Ragnarok will bring Thor back to his former glory. 

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

Thor is much weaker upon a rewatch. Nearly all the flaws of Marvel are on display here, with a bland visual style, an unnecessary need to connect to a larger world, and an unwillingness to commit to a genre. The straight fantasy elements are dull, while the fish-out-of-water segments can be fun, but are more often generic. Doyle's score is admittedly quite lovely, and might be the MCU's best, if only it was mixed and utilized better. Hemsworth is charming, but the script gives him surprisingly little to do. Hiddleston remains the film's bright spot, a charismatic, if a tad benign, villain with more depth than expected from these films. Branagh attempts to elevate the proceedings, but all he brings are Dutch angles and an overabundance of ham. The latter is welcome, but it's not enough to make it an entertaining movie. Thor is one of the weaker MCU origin stories, failing to tell a compelling tale despite the talent assembled. D+

Used to think of this as one of the lesser MCU films, but on a rewatch, it's honestly one of the better ones and perhaps the best of the origin stories. The Thor/Jane romance is a little odd and seems forced, the visuals are decent but nothing unprecedented (other than the phenomenal end credits) but the story is strong and earnest, the humor works and is different from the usual Marvel style, the lead performances are great, and the dialogue is pretty sharp. There are a lot of well-done emotional moments, Hemsworth is charismatic and charming as Thor, and Loki was already one of the best onscreen supervillains in one appearance. Another point that I really appreciated was the efficiency of the action scenes, none dragged on too long, and all were impactful and entertaining without needing to provide empty spectacle. A very strong film and not that far behind Ragnarok as the best of the trilogy. A-

Edited by Menor
  • Like 2