A Marvel Fanboy

Friday 12/23/11 Numbers

Hugo's more like an episode of a TV period drama than a crowd-pleasing kids film; and if you're not a cinephile, it's not likely you'll find much of interest in it. I can see why it looked less appealing to casual moviegoers.

Edited by tribefan695

Jolie's movie bombed. The Artist had a surprisingly bad expansion, Marilyn had a terrible expansion.This is not the year of limited releases. Or wide releases, for that matter.

The Artist still doesn't have much mainstream buzz, I haven't seen a single TV ad, but once it starts cleaning up at the Golden Globes and the Oscars I imagine it will have a very good run- though I doubt it can reach King's Speech heights, simply because of the fact that it's a silent film.Blood & Honey, well it's only in 3 theaters but I can't imagine the studio was expecting a different result. Foreign language film about Bosnian war and rape camps released on Christmas weekend... who is gonna go see that? No award buzz either. The budget was tiny though so it won't be another Hugo-bomb for GK Films.I dunno about Marilyn. It's gotten some decent promotion, unlike the other 2 films I've seen ads all over TV for it, but I don't think it looks all that interesting. Edited by rockNrollaDIM

The Artist still doesn't have much mainstream buzz, I haven't seen a single TV ad, but once it starts cleaning up at the Golden Globes and the Oscars I imagine it will have a very good run- though I doubt it can reach King's Speech heights, simply because of the fact that it's a silent film.Blood & Honey, well it's only in 3 theaters but I can't imagine the studio was expecting a different result. Foreign language film about Bosnian war and rape camps released on Christmas weekend... who is gonna go see that? No award buzz either. The budget was tiny though so it won't be another Hugo-bomb for GK Films.I dunno about Marilyn. It's gotten some decent promotion, unlike the other 2 films I've seen ads all over TV for it, but I don't think it looks all that interesting.

Here's the thing...if The Artist doesn't make enough money before the Globes and Oscars arrive, it won't win anything. The market is down, and there's zero mainstream buzz for it right now, so in all likelihood it'll make 10-15mil between now and those awards shows. It didn't matter for The Hurt Locker, but it might matter for The Artist. Edited by tonytr87

The Artist still doesn't have much mainstream buzz, I haven't seen a single TV ad, but once it starts cleaning up at the Golden Globes and the Oscars I imagine it will have a very good run- though I doubt it can reach King's Speech heights, simply because of the fact that it's a silent film.Blood & Honey, well it's only in 3 theaters but I can't imagine the studio was expecting a different result. Foreign language film about Bosnian war and rape camps released on Christmas weekend... who is gonna go see that? No award buzz either. The budget was tiny though so it won't be another Hugo-bomb for GK Films.I dunno about Marilyn. It's gotten some decent promotion, unlike the other 2 films I've seen ads all over TV for it, but I don't think it looks all that interesting.

I don't know why anyone would want to see The Artist. It's a silent fucking film for pete sake. I don't get it. Those movies went by by 80 years ago.

Jolie movie deserved to bomb for being such a piece of CNN shit.

Fishnets, I'm assuming you haven't seen it anyway, but what were you expecting? Serbs aren't going to be portrayed as cookie baking pacifists but do you want to pretend that the genocide and mass-rape didn't happen? The film should show the acts of aggression/atrocities committed by Bosnians too but the film seems pretty focused on the rape camps. Journalists that covered the war and victim groups that lived through it that saw the film are calling it authentic. More than that it sounds like this is a criticism of non-intervention by NATO more than it is a vilification of Serbs.

What the heck is the "Jolie" movie, are we talking about Angelina Jolie? And if yes, her last movie was the Tourist, How did that bomb, it did 278 million worldwide. I'm sure you are talking about something else. lol

She directed a movie "In the Land of Blood and Honey" about the Bosnian war. Nobody is going to see it so I wouldn't worry too much about it :lol:

Does anyone think that the new Dragon Tattoo movie was hampered by the original film being released just 2 years earlier?

Internationally, yes. DOM, probably not but movies based on books have to be widely accessible to have mainstream success. This is a R rated movie with limited appeal and if it makes 80-90 million DOM and another 140-150 OS it has done well. The whole 100 million budget thing is an entirely different topic. I have no idea what Fincher did with that kind of budget in a movie that didn't have any genuine A-list actors and no CGI.

She directed a movie "In the Land of Blood and Honey" about the Bosnian war. Nobody is going to see it so I wouldn't worry too much about it :lol:

Oh ok thanks! I thought u guys were talking about the Tourist since it didn't do as well as expected in the USA, but I'm like "look at the overseas numbers!" lolOk well I don't know much about the movie but I went to make a search and it debuted on friday in only 3 theaters, and even though its average per theater is not good at all, I don't think it's a movie that can be considered a bomb since it's almost as if they didn't plan to release it in theaters at least not seriously. Unless I'm missing something... She can't even be seen in the movie so frankly not many people know about it anyways, I certainly didn't.

Fishnets, I'm assuming you haven't seen it anyway, but what were you expecting? Serbs aren't going to be portrayed as cookie baking pacifists but do you want to pretend that the genocide and mass-rape didn't happen?

The movie, CNN,etc pretend that all those things didn`t happen on all sides. I`m sorry but you people just don`t know the real situation. Everyone goes apeshit over Bosnian Muslims because they make oil lobby look good since jihad brethren like Al Qaida, Hamas,Hezbollah,etc gave them a really bad rep and rightly so (where do you think money they receive comes from?). OTOH, nobody mentions the fact that Serbs from Croatia were kicked out an masse during the same war and that all 3 sides (Serbs, Croats and Muslims) were copying each others way of retaliation. There`s a huge focus on Arkan Tigers paramilitary on Serb side while the fact that Muslims imported the mujahedeen and Croats Legionaires and other mercs to fight for them was totally swept under the rug. The movie is biased simply because it paints a totlaly inaccurate picture of some kind of Nazi/Jews situation where there was none. Muslims weren`t Jews in that war. They were aggressors where applicable and victims where applicable and the same goes for other two sides. yet everyone is,like, Serbs are eeeeeeeeeeeeevil. Fuck that shit. Is The Crusader eeeeeevil? Search your feelings, young padawan.

The film should show the acts of aggression/atrocities committed by Bosnians too but the film seems pretty focused on the rape camps.

That existed on all sides! I know this sounds like a major news but Serbs don`t have patent to rape camps so Muslims (that`s how "Bosnians" call themselves) and Croats had them too. In fact, nobody know who started it and it`s beside the point. Everyone practiced it so stop making just Serbs exclusive holders of the patent.

Journalists that covered the war and victim groups that lived through it that saw the film are calling it authentic. More than that it sounds like this is a criticism of non-intervention by NATO more than it is a vilification of Serbs.

Thgere was this woman who claimed she got pregnant in a rape camp. It was a huge brouhahah, she was to gave birth in Switzerland to protect her identity from evil Serbs. Bosnian government made a huge fuss. So baby comes and she`s black. True story.

That existed on all sides! I know this sounds like a major news but Serbs don`t have patent to rape camps so Muslims (that`s how "Bosnians" call themselves) and Croats had them too. In fact, nobody know who started it and it`s beside the point. Everyone practiced it so stop making just Serbs exclusive holders of the patent.Thgere was this woman who claimed she got pregnant in a rape camp. It was a huge brouhahah, she was to gave birth in Switzerland to protect her identity from evil Serbs. Bosnian government made a huge fuss. So baby comes and she`s black. True story.

So what are you saying, because one woman lied about being raped that the other however many thousand are lying too? I didn't say Serbs were evil or that Serbs are the only ones who showed aggression or had rape camps, I know there's 2 sides to everything, and (I haven't seen it) but I agree all films about the subject should be more balanced. But the statistics speak for themselves- there were far more victims on the "Bosniak" side and the scale of the rapes was larger against Muslim women too. That doesn't make it ok or any less bad about what happened to Serbian victims but this movie chose to focus on that issue of war crimes against women, so it makes sense that it would be about the Muslim rape victims because of the sheer numbers. I don't know why you're so hostile about them, it's undeniable. But it's really not worth arguing over.

So what are you saying, because one woman lied about being raped that the other however many thousand are lying too? I didn't say Serbs were evil or that Serbs are the only ones who showed aggression or had rape camps, I know there's 2 sides to everything, and (I haven't seen it) but I agree all films about the subject should be more balanced. But the statistics speak for themselves- there were far more victims on the "Bosniak" side and the scale of the rapes was larger against Muslim women too. That doesn't make it ok or any less bad about what happened to Serbian victims but this movie chose to focus on that issue of war crimes against women, so it makes sense that it would be about the Muslim rape victims because of the sheer numbers. I don't know why you're so hostile about them, it's undeniable. But it's really not worth arguing over.

And who made statistics? Same people who beat the "Serbs are the new Nazi" drum. Jolie never bothered to go to Serb Republic (which is within Bosnia) or to Serbia and hear the other side and meet people. She only knows actors who sure enough will do anything to be in a Hollywood movie. Not the most averige Serbs you can find.And the example with that woman wasn`t that she lied. It`s that the government lied. It isn`t like she duped everyone. They just didn`t know, and most likely she didn`t either, that a black UN soldier scored. Out of other candidates. Edited by fishnets

Blood & Honey, well it's only in 3 theaters but I can't imagine the studio was expecting a different result. Foreign language film about Bosnian war and rape camps released on Christmas weekend... who is gonna go see that? No award buzz either. The budget was tiny though so it won't be another Hugo-bomb for GK Films.

Interesting how two of the biggest female household names/superstars in showbiz-women whose names alone guarantee tons and tons of free press-directed and released films on the same year, only to receive generally mediocre reviews and cold box office. Goes to show that both Jolie and Madonna should stick to what they do best.

Tron had a solid marketing campaign. Tintin...I can't even begin to describe how awful Paramount has handled the film. Shame, too, because its quite good for the mo-cap animation genre.Then again, they probably saved some money by cutting back on the marketing...which might in turn help decide its fate when it comes to profitability. Still, chances of seeing that sequel aren't too good...and that kinda sucks, because this might have been the last best hope for mo-cap animated films.

I hope Home Media sales are good, because now they should decide the sequel IMO.