CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Gone Girl - 26.8M | Dracula Untold - 23.5M | Alexander - 19.1M | Annabelle - 16.4M | The Judge - 13.3M

I'd see it too. Unless it didn't have a better RT score than The Judge's 47%.

I'd question an opening higher than 13 million with less than 47%. I mean, AT&T girl is not a draw outside of commercials peddling data plans

• Like 3

So both this weekend and the last have been much bigger than 2014's 4th of July weekend. And if this weekend gets adjusted up by 600k both these weekends would be bigger than any weekend in July. Guess it goes to show how strong the October's been, and also how weak July was.

• Like 1

Gone Girl has the 9th smallest second-weekend drop for a 3,000-location #1 opener that repeated at #1, and didn't have its second frame on a MAJOR holiday weekend (I will still count Columbus Day and Veteran's Day, just nothing else). And out of only live-action releases, it's 5th.

I missed you BOM :)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

So both this weekend and the last have been much bigger than 2014's 4th of July weekend. And if this weekend gets adjusted up by 600k both these weekends would be bigger than any weekend in July. Guess it goes to show how strong the October's been, and also how weak July was.

The studios really dropped the ball this summer, there was really nothing appealing to audiences so they  stayed away. The weak slate in July/August with the exception of GOTG/TMNT has allowed more breakouts for the fall. The Equalizer, The Maze Runner, and Gone Girl will all be 100m+ grossers with the possibility of Annabelle, Fury joining that group. Some Mid-budget family fare will be taking a piece of the pie too: Alexander,and Boxtrolls should both pass 50m+ comfortably. 

I have a feeling that November and December will be huge too. 

Why did Fincher seemingly hit a box-office home run with Gone Girl and struck out with Dragon Tattoo?

Dragon Tattoo should have been released in October, not in Christmas.

• Like 4

Why did Fincher seemingly hit a box-office home run with Gone Girl and struck out with Dragon Tattoo?

I don't know the baseball term for "doing well for what it is" but that's what happened. $100M isn't called striking out for that kind of movie.

• Like 2

Dragon Tattoo should have been released in October, not in Christmas.

I was just going to say that. Way too much competition. But it still did ok considering the circumstances. 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 1

I get great amusement that out of all four big new releases, Addicted has the highest PTA

All Hail Amazing Amy!

I really want to write a parody song from a musical I was in for Gone Girl... but no one here would get the parody... so yeah :lol:

It doesn't mean anything for Reese. The studio for some reason decided to completely dump on the market with no advertising. Hard for a movie to do well when hardly anyone knows it exists.

What are you talking about? I got a trailer for The Good Lie in front of The Identical!

Hold on a second