CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Gone Girl - 26.8M | Dracula Untold - 23.5M | Alexander - 19.1M | Annabelle - 16.4M | The Judge - 13.3M

Going to see Gone Girl during lunch tomorrow. Hearing great things about it.

I really enjoyed it.

You know you're a movie nerd when people at school come ask you about a certain movie in theaters in it's any good. Today I had my science teacher from last year and my french teacher ask if I'd recommend Gone Girl. (I never told them I saw it, but they know obviously cause "oh look! It's the movie guy!"

• Like 5

How much of the U.S. population has a holiday for Columbus Day?

It's a federal holiday which means federal employees, banks and bond markets are closed. 23 states give their state workers the day off. With schools, it varies.

It is a little bizarre that the U.S. still celebrates Columbus Day on a federal level and local/state level like we do.  Columbus was a pretty brutal guy.  He consistently promoted the rape of innocent women by his crew on his ships and was one of the earliest proponents of bringing slavery to the New World.  Not to mention that he didn't even land on American soil.  No historical person is perfect - they all have flaws - but Columbus was a major a-hole.

• Like 2

It is a little bizarre that the U.S. still celebrates Columbus Day on a federal level and local/state level like we do.  Columbus was a pretty brutal guy.  He consistently promoted the rape of innocent women by his crew on his ships and was one of the earliest proponents of bringing slavery to the New World.  Not to mention that he didn't even land on American soil.  No historical person is perfect - they all have flaws - but Columbus was a major a-hole.

635347412552170157waitwhatgif.gif

• Like 1

I got Columbus Day off for a couple of grades, then it just stopped (though I honestly can't remember when). I definitely know that by the time I was in high school, the public school system around here was not letting us out.

From the reaction of disgust I got from another student when I mused about how we never got Columbus Day off anymore, I am willing to bet that the stuff you mentioned is exactly WHY public schools around here (San Francisco Bay Area) don't observe it as a school holiday.

I know that the studios used to actually report it as a 4-day weekend, but some time in the 90s (still before daily numbers were widely available) they stopped doing so.

(EDIT: I just pulled up BOM on archive.org - 1995 was the last year that Columbus Day wknd was reported as a 4-day.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2