grim22

The Box Office Mojo issues thread. Brad Brevet is the new editor, the Simanton reign is over.

Perhaps they have code in place that when the entire server goes down, it automatically redirects to IMDB? It did go down at just about the time when the Thursday numbers would have been plugged in yesterday (around noon Pacific time)...maybe executing the update on the already fucked-up server caused it to COMPLETELY go down? I seem to recall that for about a minute around that time, the site did load - then it loaded the maintenance message again - then it loaded IMDB.

IMDB, you should have explained instead of being silent. (The anecdote about an IMDB rep hanging up the phone when asked about BOM is even more bizarre knowing they AREN'T killing it. If you're not engaging in a cover-up, don't make it look like you're engaging in a cover-up.)

Public relations. You're doing it wrong.

FWIW I was having trouble navigating to any page outside of the main page since Wednesday, before this whole fiasco.

If you are still being directed to IMDB, you may need to clear your history/cache. Your browser could be remembering the redirect. I've been getting BOM correctly since it returned.

As I said, it appears that either they put it in as a temporary stopgap (which is stupid, because they didn't tell anyone why and it sent exactly the wrong message), or it was an existing fallback measure in case of total server failure (which is also stupid, for the reasons previously stated). Either way, bravo to BOM, IMDB and Amazon, by explaining nothing you allowed a mundane temporary outage to turn into one of the bigger Internet freak-outs I've personally witnessed, complete with people proclaiming their intent to completely boycott you.

And this falls into the same pattern I've witnessed in my time as an IMDb contributor, of random changes, insufficient explanation, and unnecessarily allowing rumor-mongering to flourish by failing to quickly and concisely set the record straight.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

The Wrap's updated story is brilliant. Look at the bolded sentence, they didn't report it redirected, they reported that it was absorbed into imdb

UPDATE Oct. 11, 2017 7:04 p.m PT: Box Office Mojo has mysteriously returned without explanation just one day after TheWrap was first to report it had been redirected to parent site IMDb.com.

Previous story:

Box Office Mojo website has been shut down, as the site currently redirects to IMDb.

Box Office Mojo was acquired by IMDb in 2008 and seems to have been absorbed by its parent company, which itself is owned by Amazon. At the time, Box Office Mojo said it would remain a stand alone company.

Box Office Mojo is a critical tool for movie industry executives in Hollywood who look to the site for real-time box office results and historical and comparative data. It was founded in 1999 by Brandon Gray as a three-person company headquartered in Burbank.

IMDb has a vast collection of data on films, but is lacking in detailed data on box office metrics. It is unknown how IMDB will incorporate the Box Office Mojo data into its system. The layout for Box Office Mojo is set up solely for an in-depth look at box office metrics, while IMDb fills many roles, highlighting trailers, movie stills, cast lists and fan commentary.

IMDb has not yet responded to TheWrap's request for comment and there has been no official word or message posted from IMDB or Box Office Mojo's official Twitter accounts.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 2

I'm thinking this has been a system failure itself given that the timeclock on the linux server it obviously runs on has been reset.

It is strange that there has been nothing from BOM on twitter or facebook thru all of this ?

I'm inclined to believe a glitch and i'm sure if they are tell us, that is the official line, but conspiracy theorists will think otherwise... was it a test to see what kind of backlash they would get should they decide to remove BOM ?

• Like 2

Yesterday, so much data was a click away,

Now it seems that they're lost in the fray,

Oh I believe in yesterday.

Suddenly, box office has gone to misery,

Due to assholes at IMdB,

Oh yesterday, came so suddenly.

Why did they have to go?

I don't know, Brad wouldn't say,

We have gotten all shut out

In the clout of yesterday.

Yesterday, box office was easier to play,

Now we need web archives just to stay,

Oh, I, believe in Yesterday...

I still "Like" this, but it's seriously missing a rhyme with "Ray" for Subers ;)

• Like 2

Okay, here is the deal.  This really fucking sucks.  

I first visited Mojo back in either '99 or 2000 and I was enthralled.  I love numbers and stats and movies, so that site was like crack.  I amazed my friends that I knew what the highest grossing movies ever were.  I checked it all the time.  

I remember before boxoffice.com it was boxofficereport.com and the site was black and kinda dull. Boxofficeguru was(and still is, I guess)okay, but there was nothing like Mojo!  

It was simple and clean and you could spend hours clicking on one thing to take you to another and then you keep on clicking going further and further down the rabbit hole!  

Remember the Hangman game?  I do!  

I never attempted the Derby because my predictions were(and still are)shit.  

I still don't know why I never noticed the forums until Avatar!  I would have made friends so much sooner and learned a lot more.

Now, this is what I'm wondering.  There are thousands of users that are registered to this forum.  I am willing to bet that not a single legit user came here without knowledge of BOM.  Obviously this was impossible when they were together, but that has been a few years now.  I still bet that everyone that would register on a forum about box office, visited BOM regularly beforehand.

That's thousands of users that will be missing out on that daily fix.  Thousands of users that will need something to take it's place.  

I don't know dick about what it takes to start something up like that.  I imagine it would be a helluva lot more than what Shawn did to get us this new(and improved)home.  But I have to believe there are many, many people that would be willing to help out in some way, no matter how big or small.  

I wasn't really in a place to help out the last time we got kicked to the curb, but I am now.  

So, I say fuck IMDb.  We didn't need them when they shut down the forums.  We won't need them when the either close Mojo or move it all behind a subscription.

I read this all in Idris Elba's voice.

"Today. Today... At the edge of our hope, at the end of BOM's time, we have chosen not only to believe in current numbers, but in the archives. Today there is not a member in here that shall stand behind a paywall. Not today. Today we face the IMDB monster that are at our door and bring the fight to them! Today, we are *canceling* the Mojocalypse!"

• Like 9