grim22

The Box Office Mojo issues thread. Brad Brevet is the new editor, the Simanton reign is over.

Yes, but the fact that it's been alternating between working and not working perhaps 10 times in the last hour may indicate that something's going wrong server-side. If everyone's checking to see if BOM is still alive, at the same time that they're trying to put in updates after a nasty server outage, isn't there a possibility it could hinder their ability to get things working again?

I am now even thinking this whole three-day fracas may be the result of a botched server migration...maybe they have to work out all the bugs on the new server and we're fucking things up by constantly overloading it?

Again, if this is the case, a message on Twitter or Facebook would help: "Don't go to the site, we're trying to fix it and the traffic is putting too much strain on the server."

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

There are updates, it has the weekend estimates and daily estimates.

But it's down again, for the I've-lost-count-th time. Maybe they're trying to get the foreign info and all-time charts and stuff up?

Anybody know a medium, so we can make contact with the ghost of Robert Stack to host an episode of Unsolved Mysteries about this?

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Actually, two things. 1) I am 100% OK. No health/family/personal issues whatsoever. 2) I will not be answering any Qs re: the past 3 days.

— Ray Subers (@raysubers) October 12, 2014

So this is a "everything is fine. everything is so fine that we should make sure to never mention this ever, ever, ever again and bury it deep within our sub-consciousness and take great lengths to repress the last few days. that's how fine and awesome everything is."

• Like 8

And now the site finally has an accurate Last Updated timestamp, and is displaying up-to-date showdowns and links to Friday/Saturday estimates. (But no article yet.) Sanity seems to be returning.

Though every other time I visit the front page, it shows up like it did before (albeit with Last Updated 10/12/2014, 12:27 PM Pacific Time - and now, I notice, with up to date showdown numbers too). Weeeeird...

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Actually, two things. 1) I am 100% OK. No health/family/personal issues whatsoever. 2) I will not be answering any Qs re: the past 3 days.

— Ray Subers (@raysubers) October 12, 2014

All of Ray's articles have been removed from BOM's front page right now. Most likely just a temporary thing, but who knows.

Going off my read of the situation (AKA crazy conspiracy theory), BOM was meant to be absorbed in IMDB, but then the huge backlash from both the industry and the movie journalists caused them to change their mind. Subers obviously wouldn't be allowed to talk about it

• Like 10

Mojo returned last night, then was updated this morning/afternoon after a ton of technical difficulties. (The adjuster still gives a 403 error when trying to use it on certain pages.)

Unfortunately, that does make more and more sense the longer they stay quiet. If that's true, then to all the people I warned not to jump to conclusions, I recant and thank you for saving BOM.

And if they were intending to do so, maybe that's why there was no report for this weekend.

As I said, if Robert Stack were still alive this would probably eventually end up as an episode of Unsolved Mysteries...

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 6