grim22

The Box Office Mojo issues thread. Brad Brevet is the new editor, the Simanton reign is over.

11f9cceb84c1065f4fff44e72efe0cc5_large.g

What are the potential issues if we do our own archive? To me it seems absurd that box office data could be copyrighted.

Guys.

I love your enthusiasm but we have to halt this until we get confirmation from Shawn or water bottle it's ok and doesn't impact the mother site.

The are some legal issues around copying too much in the public domain. Especially if Amazon make it a pay site. Read the terms of use on BOM for further info.

• Like 1

What are the potential issues if we do our own archive? To me it seems absurd that box office data could be copyrighted.

I don't know.  Someone more knowledgeable about IP Law needs to read those terms and see if we have an issue ?  Just my reading of the terms seems to indicate an issue.  and I am pretty sure that WB / Shawn will agree.

I don't know.  Someone more knowledgeable about IP Law needs to read those terms and see if we have an issue ?  Just my reading of the terms seems to indicate an issue.  and I am pretty sure that WB / Shawn will agree.

I can understand the presentation of the data being copyrighted (but there's really only so many ways to do that), but the data itself? They didn't create it, it just exists. Like weather observations or something. But I do agree with the caution.

• Like 1

You guys need to wait for the night. That is when everything in the museums comes back to life.

It seems the sleeper is awake. BOM just tweeted the weekend estimates. No website update as yet but signs are returning to normal.

• Like 3

I still think this is a textbook case of IMDb/Amazon bureaucratic incompetence. I won't repeat the GetSatisfaction story.

BOM/IMDb/Amazon seem to be laboring under a delusion that speaking frankly about a problem would cause MORE panic than not saying anything at all, when in reality it PREVENTS panic. (I do not include either Ray Subers or Col Needham, they'd have to follow orders from above. At this point, I imagine the Amazon boardroom as the denizens of Wonderland acting out a Monty Python sketch inside the Dr. Strangelove war room.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1