CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

No one should have been worried about Abrams directing this -- it was never going to happen.

As far as other details, I admit I'm surprised they're planning to just re-interpret Kal-El, rather than another character.  But there are multiple ways to see this argument, I can see validity and problems in them all for representation/meaning, including a problematic result of *not* doing Kal-El.  

3 minutes ago, Macleod said:

"Planned sequel"...means they're developing it, doesn't mean it will necessarily happen.  

Where did they get the idea that a sequel is planned? They already claimed this back in 2019, only to seemingly get debunked by Deadline and Todd Phillips himself. 

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Where did they get the idea that a sequel is planned? They already claimed this back in 2019, only to seemingly get debunked by Deadline and Todd Phillips himself. 

...Doesn't stop WarnerMedia/ATT&T executives from wanting a sequel and planning it regardless.  Todd Phillips doesn't own the character -- Warner/DC do.  

1 minute ago, Macleod said:

No one should have been worried about Abrams directing this -- it was never going to happen.

As far as other details, I admit I'm surprised they're planning to just re-interpret Kal-El, rather than another character.  But there are multiple ways to see this argument, I can see validity and problems in them all for representation/meaning, including a problematic result of *not* doing Kal-El.  

Calvin Ellis is also Kal-El, that's where he gets his secret identity name as well.

• Thanks 1

One last thing I’ll say is that I’d rather they not go with Clark Kent if they’re doing black Superman. There are other black characters who have taken on the mantle of Superman. Race swapping the version of Superman everyone is familiar with, instead of giving one of the lesser known characters a chance to shine, just seems like a really cynical move where the studio is trying to have their cake and eat it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

One last thing I’ll say is that I’d rather they not go with Clark Kent if they’re doing black Superman. There are other black characters who have taken on the mantle of Superman. Race swapping the version of Superman everyone is familiar with, instead of giving one of the lesser known characters a chance to shine, just seems like a really cynical move where the studio is trying to have their cake and eat it.

Yeah, I'm with you on that one.

Shaka King is the better King. His direction of Judas was kinetic. If they want a female director than Melina Matsoukas would be much better fit than Regina King cause her direction of Queen&Slim was kinetic too. Multiple reviews said that Regina King's direction of One Night in Miami felt too stagey. 

But anyway, whoever they pick make sure he's tall or people will riot. 

Edited by Valonqar

12 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

One last thing I’ll say is that I’d rather they not go with Clark Kent if they’re doing black Superman. There are other black characters- 

You know that Superman is an alien from outer space for whom Earth races really shouldn't apply, right?

• Like 1

This piece of manufacture woke entertainment sounds terrible. "Choosing a black director to not appear tone deaf" is absurd reasoning. Find the person with the right vision - black or white. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

You know that Superman is an alien from outer space for whom Earth races really shouldn't apply, right?

What are you even talking about? Of course Superman is an alien. What does that have to do with anything? Unless you’re trying to suggest that the actors who play Superman are also aliens, your argument makes no sense. 

My point was that there are characters who have donned the Superman mantle in the comics who happen to be black (which you conveniently left out when you quoted me) and it would seem a little cynical for WB to just ignore those characters in favor of making the most well known version of Superman black. It’s like they’re saying that the black Supermen from the comics aren’t good enough. 

Edited by WittyUsername

I’m fine with a black Clark Kent, no different than a Soviet Supes or any other time purposeful juxtaposition is used in (re)interpreting an iconic piece of American pop culture.

Whether this actually gets produced or not, that remains to be seen. I’m not that certain considering their lengthy track record of burning money in developing projects which get canned (see recently axed New Gods.)

• Like 3

On 5/5/2021 at 10:57 AM, TMP said:

I feel like Marvel might get him for Blade

Possible. A good thing about these directors being sought by Marvel and WB is if slick enough, they can play off the corporations against each other and negotiate a  good deal.

• Thanks 1

Regina King To Direct New ‘Superman’ Film? Watch Oscar Winner Learn Of Rumor Live On MSNBC

During an MSNBC interview on Saturday, Regina King learned, live on the air, that she is perhaps being considered to direct an upcoming Superman film for Warner Bros. and DC.

It was Tiffany Cross, of The Cross Connection, that first made King aware of the rumor. “I’m curious, because this is a little bit of gossip. You’re rumored to be on the short list to direct Superman. You and Barry Jenkins, both of your names have been thrown out there,” the MSNBC host said. “Anything you want to tell us? Is there any news you can break this morning about those conversations?”

“Tiffany, that is news to me. You have broke the news to me,” laughed King. “A news break, live on MSNBC! “Yeah, no, I have not heard that until just now,” she continued, appearing a bit gobsmacked.

At this point, any discussion of King’s involvement with Superman is purely speculative. According to The Hollywood Reporter and other outlets, she is one of a number of high-profile directors being considered for the recently announced superhero project, which is being written by Ta-Nehisi Coates, with J.J. Abrams and Hannah Minghella serving as producers. Others who have reportedly been discussed as directors for the project include Jenkins, Ryan Coogler, Steven Caple Jr., J.D. Dillard and Shaka King. Per THR, Warner Bros. and DC are committed to hiring a Black director for the project, given that it will be the first to ever center on a Black Superman.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/regina-king-superman-msnbc-interview-watch-1234766571/

"Been discussed as directors" is not the same thing as "being talked to for the project" and may not be a "thing" at all.  I think "LEGIT" news media is getting caught up in the same vicious circle of hyperbolic rumor-exaggeration that the fanboy websites are, as evidenced by the JOKER topic over there...  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

https://view.email.hollywoodreporter.com/?qs=dad5eb7f3800b1d7c5800f563c9c3fe999f88b7759601c85d670386ca3e89d880e2ae30938ae6e0ea7692ea881103b4724e40ff6e5e0ec2854ae0d437fc7f2c6be69dbc2be4b597b

WB will never learn, won’t they? We could have a fucking Val Zod film produce and starred by Michael B. Jordan instead of whatever JJ Abrams is doing. I don’t need WB and Abrams trying to follow the Black Panther trend with a Superman film, but I will be all over MBJ’s project, which I hope it gets fast tracked and hopefully made to the big screen instead now that a new administration is coming. This clearly feels like the cooler project that is coming from a genuine place. Also, keep Abrams away of DC, Star Wars or Marvel franchises while you are at it. Let him reboot other WB stuff like I don’t know, Scooby Doo.

Hey now, you can’t criticize the auteur maestro behind TROS. Clearly WB believes he knows what he’s doing (yeah I’m being sarcastic.)

Here’s a good question: which project is more likely to actually get produced?

• Sad 1

It is important for Black people to see themselves reflected, especially characters as significant as Calvin Ellis and Val Zod.  In fact, actor/producer Michael B. Jordan echoed similar sentiments about representation on screen. During a press tour while promoting the film Without Remorse he said the following to The Hollywood Reporter: “It’s important for people to see themselves in roles that they normally wouldn’t see,” says Jordan. “What that does to the next generation, to a kid or somebody that didn’t think that is something that they could achieve — now they’re thinking about it and daydreaming about it.” 

Jordan, however, according to reports, has close ties to the Superman project. He worked on developing a Superman film with Warner Bros back in 2019. However, in April 2021, he went on the record to shoot down the rumors that he was joining Abrams’s project saying, “I’m flattered that people have me in that conversation. It’s definitely a compliment, but I’m just watching on this one.” While he didn’t specify why, sources say that Jordan has not wanted to engage in conversations about racebending Kal-El for the same reasons many of the fans are pushing back on the current Warner Bros re-imagined version of Clark Kent, but that he would be interested in engaging on a Black Superman project centering on the Val-Zod storyline. 

It’s smart of Jordan to pull back and watch as any Black actor worth their salt should.  Erasing distinguished Black characters of authentic comic book origins and racebending a white-established Kent will only anger both fans of Ellis/Val-Zod and Kent. Old fans will likely resent the changes and new fans will be curious why they had to be made in the first place. While I understand there can be a case made for racebending fictional characters in media, especially when so many marginalized people of color are underrepresented in fandom, this particular case doesn’t stick.  

https://blackgirlnerds.com/when-racebending-goes-too-far-erasing-existing-black-characters/

The more I read about this, more pissed off I get.