CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

Shame really, he was a good Superman and I would have liked to see more of him in that role. He had the perfect body and looks. 

For me Christopher Reeve is of course the best. Cavill is 2nd and Routh is 3rd (he had the looks and bod but felt too low energy for Supes). I have not seen any TV supermans so cant place them (although Tom Welling is bae 😘

5 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

He's got highlander and argyle, up for bond and probably can get another role at dc or maybe even a marvel one like was previously rumored, he will be fine

The director of Highlander lined himself up for 5 more projects since that was reported and there’s been no info about Highlander since.

Argyle is on Apple TV which is an app I’m almost certain the public isn't aware exists.

They screwed him over.

10 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Shame really, he was a good Superman and I would have liked to see more of him in that role. He had the perfect body and looks. 

For me Christopher Reeve is of course the best. Cavill is 2nd and Routh is 3rd (he had the looks and bod but felt too low energy for Supes). I have not seen any TV supermans so cant place them (although Tom Welling is bae 😘

The guy from Superman and Lois is really good, he plays a really wholesome Clark Kent. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 9:02 PM, filmlover said:

I will never stop laughing if Cavill quit The Witcher only for this to happen.

Well, it happened and I'm both laughing and cringing at the same time.

What a mess. Dude quit his well-paying project for another that was never more than a promise with no actual deal in place. Lesson to be learned: don't leave your job until you have another all set up and ready to go.

• Like 3

Honestly, I think this is a disaster from a business sense. A total utter mess. Gunn is getting beyond roasted on social media. What should be highly exciting news is once again pissing off many in actuality. 

WB is not going to live this down any time soon. WB allowed the Rock and co. to make such a huge deal of this just 2 months ago. It doesn't matter that WB never formally announced it - they let their major star actors say it over and over. The collective industry entirely bought it and were highly enthusiastic about it. Common sense told everyone that WB would/should be canning their comments ASAP if that wasn't the plan, but they let it go clearly to let it help Black Adam in what now feels like a classic bait and switch. 

I feel bad for whoever is actually cast as Superman next because an enormous, and exceptionally vocal, faction of the fanbase is likely not going to accept them, or do it highly begrudgingly. Even for the more sane, moderate fans, going from the excitement of thinking Cavill is returning to back to the drawing board is a highly negative swing of emotions. 

It's stunning how poorly this whole debacle has been handled.

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Honestly, I think this is a disaster from a business sense. A total utter mess. Gunn is getting beyond roasted on social media. What should be highly exciting news is once again pissing off many in actuality. 

WB is not going to live this down any time soon. WB allowed the Rock and co. to make such a huge deal of this just 2 months ago. It doesn't matter that WB never formally announced it - they let their major star actors say it over and over. The collective industry entirely bought it and were highly enthusiastic about it. 

I feel bad for whoever is actually cast as Superman next because an enormous, and exceptionally vocal, faction of the fanbase is likely not going to accept them, or do it highly begrudgingly. Even for the more sane, moderate fans, going from the excitement of thinking Cavill is returning to back to the drawing board is a highly negative swing of emotions. 

It's stunning how poorly this whole debacle has been handled.

Take a deep breath, no one cares what people are saying on twitter.

If you’re a real Superman fan you’re gonna see a new Superman movie, people like to be loud and then they’ll be there opening night. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

What a mess. Dude quit his well-paying project for another that was never more than a promise with no actual deal in place. Lesson to be learned: don't leave your job until you have another all set up and ready to go.

Had to learn this lesson myself this year. You don't have the job until you've signed the paperwork and have a start date, simple as that.

Another lesson too is not to put all your eggs in one basket, have multiple things lined up just in case that one thing doesn't go through. Henry gonna continue to get work for sure and I do think he's a good actor, perhaps him not getting this role may be a blessing in disguise and he might get something better that'll further his career soon.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Take a deep breath, no one cares what people are saying on twitter.

This is actually pretty false. The sentiment the media runs with surrounding a film is largely based off the most favored social media reactions, which are highly highly negative for this. General consensus will 100% be that this was "messy", borderline "controversial" move given fan backlash - that will be mentioned in 90% of the media coverage surrounding the next film. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, excel1 said:

This is actually pretty false. The sentiment the media runs with surrounding a film is largely based off the most favored social media reactions, which are highly highly negative for this. General consensus will 100% be that this was "messy", borderline "controversial" move given fan backlash - that will be mentioned in 90% of the media coverage surrounding the next film. 

I honestly haven’t seen much negativity tbh, maybe you’re searching for it but I’m not. 

Sure people feel for Cavill and that’s fine, but no one isn’t going to see a new Superman movie if it’s received well just cause there’s no Henry Cavilll. As much as I liked Cavill he’s been attached to divisive movies his whole time playing Superman. 

Edited by cax16

7 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I honestly haven’t seen much negativity tbh, maybe you’re searching for it but I’m not. 

Sure people feel for Cavill and that’s fine, but no one isn’t going to see a new Superman movie if it’s received well just cause there’s no Henry Cavilll. As much as I liked Cavill he’s been attached to divisive movies his whole time playing Superman. 

Read the responses to Gunn's posts. By far the most liked posts are highly highly negative. 

I am not going off my personal preference here, just calling it as it clearly is. This has been handled exceptionally poorly by WB. As soon as they allowed The Rock and Cavill to run around telling everyone he is back, this became one of the things Gunn isn't allowed to touch. They have now deflate much of the enthusiasm surrounding their initial hire. 

Cavill's post has 1.2 million likes. Gunn's has....10,000. Cavill's has comments from Zach Levi, Jason Momoa, and a number of other celebrities. 

Anyone who thinks they did anything beyond shoot themselves in the foot here is kidding themselves. The excitement surrounding the next actors announcement will now be severely muted. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

Read the responses to Gunn's posts. By far the most liked posts are highly highly negative. 

I am not going off my personal preference here, just calling it as it clearly is. This has been handled exceptionally poorly by WB. As soon as they allowed The Rock and Cavill to run around telling everyone he is back, this became one of the things Gunn isn't allowed to touch. They have now deflate much of the enthusiasm surrounding their initial hire. 

I agree with you on this part but Cavill isn’t important enough for them to tell Gunn he can’t touch him as Superman. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I agree with you on this part but Cavill isn’t important enough for them to tell Gunn he can’t touch him as Superman. 

I think you're going to be surprised, this seems like a rather large miscalculation. Cant understate the impact of bringing him back after 5 years and then moving on so quickly. The whiplash leaves an enormously bitter taste. 

I am going to say this once and move on. 

If I was Cavill, I would be spite calling Feige right now about Hyperion. Squadron Supreme let’s Gooooooo. 

but I am a petty bitch like that. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I think you're going to be surprised, this seems like a rather large miscalculation. Cant understate the impact of bringing him back after 5 years and then moving on so quickly. The whiplash leaves an enormously bitter taste. 

Doubt it. The internet is a loud place that’s doesn’t translate to real life. 

• Like 1