CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

That is just the script. Snyder directed the hell out of the dour MOS script, they really need to get that right. Wonder Woman got the script right and was perfection. 

I’m pretty sure Gunn knows the difference in tone between a GOTG movie a TSS movie and a Superman movie. I get his humour isn’t for everyone in those other movies but I’m sure he’s read enough Superman comics to know what that movie should be, a big 4 quadrant movie that appeals to everyone. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I’m pretty sure Gunn knows the difference in tone between a GOTG movie a TSS movie and a Superman movie. I get his humour isn’t for everyone in those other movies but I’m sure he’s read enough Superman comics to know what that movie should be, a big 4 quadrant movie that appeals to everyone. 

People pretending that Gunn will keep the humor the same between TSS and Superman are not exactly arguing in good faith.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, teard1972 said:

after WW1984, I stop all together trusting any "Director Vision" for DC movies. 

So we only bring up WW1984 and say we don’t trust DC directors vision but we just skip over The Batman or TSS that were both done well by their directors visions or even Patty Jenkins first Wonder Woman movie for that matter? 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, cax16 said:

So we only bring up WW1984 and say we don’t trust DC directors vision but we just skip over The Batman or TSS that were both done well by their directors visions or even Patty Jenkins first Wonder Woman movie for that matter? 

no, I got burned by trusting DC directors/writers too many times before the movie come out, WW84 was the last straw. PERSONALLY, I will not hype -believe will be good before the movie is done - any DC movie, that's all. And PERSONALLY I dislike Reeves Batman and Gunn's TSS, both in the not worthy watching in theaters category, 

3 minutes ago, teard1972 said:

no, I got burned by trusting DC directors/writers too many times before the movie come out, WW84 was the last straw. PERSONALLY, I will not hype -believe will be good before the movie is done - any DC movie, that's all. And PERSONALLY I dislike Reeves Batman and Gunn's TSS, both in the not worthy watching in theaters category, 

That’s fine, then you should of included those other two movies and not only WW84, cause both the TSS and The Batman were received very well critically, and liked by fans and both came out after WW84 as well. Obviously you have a different opinion which is fine but that’s definitely not in the majority for those other two movies. 

Edited by cax16

2 hours ago, cax16 said:

That’s fine, then you should of included those other two movies and not only WW84, cause both the TSS and The Batman were received very well critically, and liked by fans and both came out after WW84 as well. Obviously you have a different opinion which is fine but that’s definitely not in the majority for those other two movies. 

And based on what we know about the (potential) writers and directors so far, I think the properties are in good hands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

I get the impression that the Coates project won’t get made, but they’re just hesitant to announce outright that they canceled it, because they feel it would be bad optics to do so. 

Worse optics than cancelling the Cavill return less than 6 months after it was "announced"?

IDK, I think it is still a go, but as he mentioned, it will depend on scripts. If he gets a script that is excellent, I don't see them cancelling it.

On 2/3/2023 at 5:29 PM, keysersoze123 said:

Gunn should direct it for sure. He is writing it and its the highest stake project at this point for DCU. 

I suspect Gunn might step down from some his duties as a DC studio head. Perparing th SUperman film alone is a full time job.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

20 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Worse optics than cancelling the Cavill return less than 6 months after it was "announced"?

IDK, I think it is still a go, but as he mentioned, it will depend on scripts. If he gets a script that is excellent, I don't see them cancelling it.

Announcing up front that they’re canceling the black Superman movie, while moving ahead with James Gunn’s movie (which presumably won’t star a black Superman) could potentially lead to a different kind of backlash that I’m not sure WBD or Gunn will want to deal with. 

Besides, this project was announced two years ago at this point by the previous regime, whom Gunn has already said some less than flattering things about.

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Announcing up front that they’re canceling the black Superman movie, while moving ahead with James Gunn’s movie (which presumably won’t star a black Superman) could potentially lead to a different kind of backlash that I’m not sure WBD or Gunn will want to deal with. 

Besides, this project was announced two years ago at this point by the previous regime, whom Gunn has already said some less than flattering things about.

There would be no backlash.

But I'm glad they're doing it. This could be a really interesting Elseworld movie.

16 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

It seems they do not care about backlash. If they wanted to cancel it, they would've done it right away to get it over with. IMO

21 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Oh they definitely care about backlash. It seems like Gunn has been pretty selective with the information that's gone out thus far.

He's only been selective when talking about the 2023 slate, and anything connected to those.