CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

55 minutes ago, Heat Vision said:

WB must be trolling us. There must be a script for this somewhere. Then again this is the same studio that didn't have a DCEU film between MOS and BvS. 

Same studio too that (if one believes the stories) they decided to do BVS 3 Days before the Comic Con they announced it, without a plot or even a title at the time, just a logo. All because a hit film like MOS  (you know the first hit Superman film since the 1980s?) didn’t make enough money for WB’s liking. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Heat Vision said:

WB must be trolling us. There must be a script for this somewhere.

the way Cavill talked about Supes return in a new movie at ACE comic con. I think they have something cooking. Also extending his contract as well.He hinted to playing Superman for years to come. Even joked about him still being Superman when he is in his 50's lol

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 2:08 PM, RRA said:

And to think the WB boss who canned Berg/demoted Johns just 6 months ago credited them publicly by name for WW’s success.

https://www.google.com/amp/variety.com/2017/film/features/toby-emmerich-warner-bros-dc-wonder-woman-1202471523/amp/

Zack Snyder is the guy who is pretty much out at DECU except for a meaningless courtesy "Producer" title.

BUt trust our resident Snyder fanboy,The Emperor of France, to blame everybody but Snyder for the deep problems the DCU has been having.

Everything except for the films already in the Can and WW 2 are up in the air at Warners at the moment. I think the way ahead for the DCEU is a hot topic of disuccsion at Warners.

Frankly, if WW had not been such a huge hit and so popular we would be looking at a total reboot.

• Like 2

On 12/26/2017 at 3:19 PM, dudalb said:

Frankly, if WW had not been such a huge hit and so popular we would be looking at a total reboot.

I'm not so sure about this.

Say, WW had done something closer to earlier expectations (say, a 70% RT rating and a 200/500 DOM/WW haul). JL does... what it just did, because apparently WW had little effect on it either way. And Aquaman is already finished shooting so we know that's going to happen. The Shazam development would probably have continued as it has done regardless of any intervening news.

About the only change from their current lineup would be that WW2 wouldn't have been fast tracked. It's probably likely it would have happened, but not in such a short order. Which means that the line-up post Aquaman would be likely Shazam and then a whole lot of potentials without any definites at this time.

That's basically what we have right now.

If they were going to do a reboot, it's really a question of when they'd make it happen... and how they'd do it. Because given the constant development cycle in these franchises, there would have to be a cutoff point of X film being under the old DCEU regime, and some new film kicking off new things. Absent literally pulling every film from the slate after the "ending" film (Aquaman, perhaps?) and then only starting the new film slate after it has released, that means that we'd have production on some films that would be pre-reboot and some that are post-reboot AT THE SAME TIME.

Which might be hella demoralizing for anyone working on the pre-reboot films. How would, say, Jason Momoa and co be expected to do the whole press junket rigamarole knowing that this would be their last film? And since they couldn't be expected to put on much more than a brave face, we'd have a situation where the film would be softly marketed and probably not have high expectations. It could be tremendously damaging to the character, which hurts future films, even with a reboot.

THEN there's the issue that what if Aquaman is like really good. And people really key into the character and actor. And they're wondering why there isn't going to be any continuity. And attempting to reintegrate would probably only make for more confusion, more problems, and more upset schedules.

Reboots aren't good. They're probably a no-win situation from a studio's perspective. In order to pull one off, you need a long fallow period. One of the issues with the DCEU might be that the time between the end of the Nolan trilogy and Batman reappearing was less than four years, which is probably too little. Spider-Man showed that the ~5 years between films was probably too short. Superman did okay between Returns and MoS, so we'd probably need 7 years? At a minimum. Batman had 8 years between B&R and BB.

Basically, with the intertwined nature of the films and the expectation that everything's connected, if Aquaman marked the end of the DCEU, WB would probably have to wait until 2024 before introducing new iterations of the characters. Which is a hell of a long time to leave their IP alone.

No, in order to move forward, they have to adjust things behind the scenes and figure out their plan while still keeping the continuity somewhat intact. That doesn't mean that they need an MCU-esque plan in... set plaster, though. They don't really need a Feige master planner, either. They can make it work with a more loose continuity, letting each film tie into others as much or as little works for it. The critical thing is to take from WW the prime point: make a film that feels true to the character and makes for a good, enjoyable experience by itself. As much as I like the DCEU films, I'd concede that they have largely failed on those points for a larger part of the audience.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

I honestly have no clue why the Shazam movie exists, how does Shazam further the DCEU in any way? The movie is going to feel completely out of place if all the lighter funner rumors are true.

It’s called WB/DC throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks 

6 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

I honestly have no clue why the Shazam movie exists, how does Shazam further the DCEU in any way? The movie is going to feel completely out of place if all the lighter funner rumors are true.

It's called diversifying your universe while appealing to different demos.  MCU does have Ant-Man after all.

It's a pretty good movie concept to see if making their movies feel a bit less connected works well. Not sure what the issue here is.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Arlborn said:

It's called diversifying your universe while appealing to different demos.  MCU does have Ant-Man after all.

It's a pretty good movie concept to see if making their movies feel a bit less connected works well. Not sure what the issue here is.

Not to mention they’ve sorta had trouble making the connections thing without it gumming up the works.

16 hours ago, RRA said:

It’s called WB/DC throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks 

Shazam was greenlighted before BVS came out, and Warners thought that BvS was going to do "Avengers/Dark Knight" level numbers.

I guess it's too far along the production track to be cancelled without incurring major costs with having to buy out contracts, etc.

12 hours ago, Arlborn said:

DIffrence is that Marvel Studios is good at it, while DC Studios,so far are not. Marvel built up it's reputation with film goers so they would give off beat efforts like GOTG and Ant Man a chance. DC Studios has NOT gained filmgoers confidence in that manner.

It's also that until Wonder Woman, the DCU was pretty much single toned...all dark, gritty and gloomy. Whereas MArvel Studios always tried to very the tone of their movies.

It's all about how something is executed,people.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Shazam was greenlighted before BVS came out, and Warners thought that BvS was going to do "Avengers/Dark Knight" level numbers.

I guess it's too far along the production track to be cancelled without incurring major costs with having to buy out contracts, etc.

more guess work.

57 minutes ago, dudalb said:

DIffrence is that Marvel Studios is good at it, while DC Studios,so far are not. Marvel built up it's reputation with film goers so they would give off beat efforts like GOTG and Ant Man a chance. DC Studios has NOT gained filmgoers confidence in that manner.

It's also that until Wonder Woman, the DCU was pretty much single toned...all dark, gritty and gloomy. Whereas MArvel Studios always tried to very the tone of their movies.

It's all about how something is executed,people.

Because critics TELL you they are good at it. Its a fact that many people are SHEEP when it comes to it hell even Loke mentioned it in Avengers 1 too the crowd and he was so damn right. How would anyone else explain how a man like Hitler could rise to power.

SS was a huge commercial success. That was going in a complete other direction. SS was not very dark either. MCU never in anyway try to tone their movies so what are you talking about. All of them are comedies with the same tone in everyone of their movies.

19 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Did you not even consider why IT was such a huge success?

Done right, Shazam has the easiest win potential of any superhero movie ever.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Shazam is by New Line so it was never in danger anyway. 

On 28/12/2017 at 1:14 AM, DameronRoc said:

No, in order to move forward, they have to adjust things behind the scenes and figure out their plan while still keeping the continuity somewhat intact. That doesn't mean that they need an MCU-esque plan in... set plaster, though. They don't really need a Feige master planner, either. They can make it work with a more loose continuity, letting each film tie into others as much or as little works for it. The critical thing is to take from WW the prime point: make a film that feels true to the character and makes for a good, enjoyable experience by itself. As much as I like the DCEU films, I'd concede that they have largely failed on those points for a larger part of the audience.

I get the feeling WB gave up on JL and are moving on from it. They've hinted at a less connected DC films after WW became a huge success. WW set the template and I think and hope that'll bear fruit with Aquaman and Shazam. 

20 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Not really spoiler-ish. It's a rumor. And it would make sense in context of that film.

But even if it was confirmed, it still wouldn't be a spoiler, I don't think. Unless him being in Justice League was also a spoiler.

You’re right, I just never know how people will react to these types of things.

I called this months ago in the Shazam thread. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Macleod said:

It's been rumored for months.  It seems most likely, because a Man of Steel "sequel" is not happening, no matter how much certain fans want it. 

Well I mean you could be right but that’s not what the article says. Says an announcement is coming in the summer. Wether that’s true or not only time wil tell. 

• Like 1