CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

11 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

this franchise is BEYOND washed and you’d have to be delusional to think otherwise.

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

Superman is obviously a bigger deal than just about everyone there. WW84 was an obvious covid casualty. 

Case in point.

27 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Wonder Woman 1984, The Suicide Squad, The Batman, Black Adam, Shazam: Fury of the Gods, The Flash, Blue Beetle, Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom, Joker: Folie a Deux. Just one success in that entire list that spans four years.

THAT’S what Superman is following. No is gonna watch Supergirl. The Authority, Puppet Robins, and Bane/Deathstroke are gonna sell negative tickets. I’m sorry but this franchise is BEYOND washed and you’d have to be delusional to think otherwise.

Bingo! No other franchise has had this many bombs in a row and people still hoping the next one will be a miracle.

• Like 2

IDK if the DC or Marvel brands matter as much as simply how good the film looks/apparently is/release strategy goes. 

For real. 

I have faith Gunn will make a very good Superman movie like Nolan did with Batman Begins.  But, it's box office will suffer like Nolan's Batman Begins because of the baggage from previous films.

Joker 2 makes predictions for this (and any cbm) more difficult. After how big the first movie was, how good the trailers were, and with the addition of Harley Quinn, this sequel should at least have had a massive opening (even if it collapsed after that). I just don’t know what to expect anymore.

5 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Transformers Movie GIF by Regal

Call me crazy but maybe we should wait for a trailer first. Like if the trailer sucks, sure it’s wraps but we haven’t even gotten footage for this. And this is even crazier but maybe an animated spin-off always has a lower ceiling.

• Thanks 1

Why would SUPERMAN's box office mirror those of other DC movies not many people even watched? If the movie is good or at least fun, people will see it. WONDER WOMAN did it. AQUMAN did it. JOKER did it. And so can this. Are some of you seriously thinking this will perform like THE FLASH or BLUE BEETLE? LOL

Edited by kayumanggi

1 hour ago, Speedorito said:

Wonder Woman 1984, The Suicide Squad, The Batman, Black Adam, Shazam: Fury of the Gods, The Flash, Blue Beetle, Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom, Joker: Folie a Deux. Just one success in that entire list that spans four years.

THAT’S what Superman is following. No is gonna watch Supergirl. The Authority, Puppet Robins, and Bane/Deathstroke are gonna sell negative tickets. I’m sorry but this franchise is BEYOND washed and you’d have to be delusional to think otherwise.

Rent free

3 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Why would SUPERMAN's box office mirror those of other DC movies not many people even watched? If the movie is good or at least fun, people will see it. WONDER WOMAN did it. AQUMAN did it. JOKER did it. And so can this. Are some of you seriously thinking this will perform like THE FLASH or BLUE BEETLE? LOL

That was 5-6 years ago.

No one thought The Flash and Blue Beetle would be The Flash and Blue Beetle 18 months either.

Just now, ChipDerby said:

We're in a "good movie big box office" culture right now instead of a CBM culture.

So, take that for what it's worth.

Like The Fall Guy and Furiosa…

2 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Rent free

But not wrong.

Aside, why do people continue to act like BLACK ADAM was not a hit on opening weekend? Of course it was mostly do to The Rock, but it is what it is.

@ChipDerby is right. People play so much attention to quality and reviews with these IP. Furiosa and The Fall Guy are absurd comps for something as mainstream as Superman. If Gunn delivers film which sits in the mid 80s on RT, there will be a sizable audience for this. If that's $110m or $150m, who knows.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

That was 5-6 years ago.

No one thought The Flash and Blue Beetle would be The Flash and Blue Beetle 18 months either.

No one thought WONDER WOMAN, AQUAMAN, or THE JOKER would make the numbers they made either, despite the bad reception BVS had. I don't think people's decision to watch movies greatly depend on how bad the previous movies did. Like because SHAZAM! FURY OF THE GODS tanked, I should not watch the new SUPERMAN? NO. Especially now it's under a new management and a way better director.

You can even use JOKER II as a vice-versa kind of example. Just because the first did well, it's not a guarantee the sequel/next movie in the universe will do better because apparently the sequel is bad and that's the reason people are not watching.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

We're in a "good movie big box office" culture right now instead of a CBM culture.

So, take that for what it's worth.

Tbh yeah, although do think good is relative to the eye of the beholder - blah blah blah but yeah great reception tends to equal great box office. There were a lot of mediocre CBMs and CB shows this decade. The best comparison is the heyday is how big CG animation family films was in the early 2000s and then in the mid to late 2000s it cratered. Like that, the CBMs need to be not just be well received to succeed but need to walk a fine line. 

Think the big name like Avengers, Spidey or Batman are safe or highly wanted team ups like Deadpool and Wolverine. There’s also names that could do well so long as quality is good but not going to be kingmakers: see Thor, Strange, Guardians, Panther - etc. Think Superman falls in that area. Note - not advocating for $1B but like $600-700m WW is a possibility if all cylinders fire because Superman, even with a lot of bad movies prior is still the hero. Same goes for TF4 as whilst the situation isn’t as bad for MCU, there’s been a lot of underwhelming movies for that camp that has drained goodwill and TF4 has never had a good movie before. Now, CBMs are at a time where they need to be great to thrive and even then, if the box office doesn’t play out - the long game of having the entry help the universe as a whole. 

Do I think the rest of the non-Superman/Batman/Wondy DC stuff will hit - god no but right now they have to build back brand and even then apart for Supergirl, these other films are still in development and way down the line, for all we know they could come as late as 2030 and DC tries to focus on the core leaguers. My point being is I feel as confident Supergirl will be a hit as I do Cap 4 or Thunderbolts even though I think the latter two should outgross it but it’s more important that all three are great for their respective universes to thrive.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 1