Interstellar  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Interstellar

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

You know guys we can debate time travel loop holes and paradoxes until we're are blue in the face and never get anywhere. Or maybe we'll get right back where we were before all this started and and be the very cause of our own discussion! WOAH.

But to come back around to my point as it pertains to Interstellar:

Movies like Terminator, Back to the Future, Looper, etc. can get away with more time paradox slight of hand because they were not set up as a creating story points and visuals based on real science. I don't think they are trying to be an accurate depiction of relativity, quantum mechanics, or temporal mechanics. They are just fun action/horrror/sci-fi/comedies that use time travel as a gimmick of sorts. Interstellar has allot of press and hype around how it used real science for the black hole and the depiction of time dilation and wormholes. The Exec Producer is a astrophysicist who wrote a book called "the SCIENCE of Interstellar". So if you are going to make a movie with that kind set up I think it should be held to a higher standard on time paradoxes then say "Back to the Future". 

I don't think you should make a science fiction movie touting it's accuracy and then use the same old time paradox cliche that a B rate movie can uses because..  well.. PHUK IT we can't think of anything better so make it a Paradox.

Edited by Rufus Magillicutty

But how would John even be born if Kyle Reese didn't come back in time? 

Because original John wasn't Kyle Reese's son. The time loop made him so. Basically you have the original John Connor, and then when the time loop is created you have new John Connor who is told all the things about original John Connor and therefore grows up to act like original John Connor, and then deliberately choosing Kyle Reese because of what he's been told, creating the self-fulfilling time loop. Look at it like a rollercoaster loop-de-loop. You're on a straight line until events pull you into the loop, only being pulled into the loop shifts the exit track back onto the loop.

And like all circular systems, eventually a run-through goes off the track, which is the events of T2.

Come on guys, you don't seriously discuss time travel in a movie review thread, do you?

The whole concept of time-travel (or sending information through time) is a shaky one and it is entirely possible that there is no possibility within our universe for time-travel at all. While the concept makes fot fun stories, it also creates a paradoxon which can't be explained away.

Everybody interested in a "serious" hard-science time-travel story should read Benford's "Timescape", it's imho still the benchmark. Interstellar's time-travel thing worked rather well within the movie's pseudo-science concept I thought - until the moment they find his body near Saturn, that is, but then the actual story is over anyway.

The Chicken and the Egg thing is a problem with all time travel movies.

Terminator is the biggest one. If the T-800 isnt sent back in time to kill Sarah than Skynet is never found because they don't find the arm and so on. 

So the Terminator was sent back in time to fail actually? That way Sky Net can exist ?

That and Back to the Future 2 have the worst "plot holes" as far as time travelling goes.  But they do so much other stuff I don't really care.

Why would that be the problem spot? Once he's inside the tesseract, he's basically outside space and time; they could drop him back in our universe in any time.

I just can't help it. I don't want to keep arguing this stuff but my compulsion is too strong.

The problem I have with him being spit out at that very precise moment, just in time to be found by a shuttle is that it means the 5D beings are full of crap. Or the robot is lying about them for some unknown reason. The robot says the 5D beings can not find specific points in time. That's why they need Cooper right? Because LOOOOOVE will guide him to Murphy. They can not do it themselves. 

But then they go and spit Cooper out of the Tesseract/black hole and through the worm hole at the precise minute and only minute he could have been saved. How did they know when to do that if they can not pin point specific moments in time? 

They could have spit Cooper out at the very moment the first ship approaches the worm hole? They could have saved him and he would have told everyone about cool black hole stuff and saved everyone decades earlier. Why bother with Murphy at all? Heck they could have sent the Robot out packed full of Data. This isn't even a time travel paradox issue. It's just a giant frakkin plot hole. They should not have been able to send him to that exact point. It completely erases the point of bringing Cooper there.

They should have spit him out in a cryo-capsule of some sort and had him adrift for decades. At least then it wouldn't undermine the 5D beings credibility.

• Like 1

I just can't help it. I don't want to keep arguing this stuff but my compulsion is too strong.

The problem I have with him being spit out at that very precise moment, just in time to be found by a shuttle is that it means the 5D beings are full of crap. Or the robot is lying about them for some unknown reason. The robot says the 5D beings can not find specific points in time. That's why they need Cooper right? Because LOOOOOVE will guide him to Murphy. They can not do it themselves. 

But then they go and spit Cooper out of the Tesseract/black hole and through the worm hole at the precise minute and only minute he could have been saved. How did they know when to do that if they can not pin point specific moments in time? 

They could have spit Cooper out at the very moment the first ship approaches the worm hole? They could have saved him and he would have told everyone about cool black hole stuff and saved everyone decades earlier. Why bother with Murphy at all? Heck they could have sent the Robot out packed full of Data. This isn't even a time travel paradox issue. It's just a giant frakkin plot hole. They should not have been able to send him to that exact point. It completely erases the point of bringing Cooper there.

They should have spit him out in a cryo-capsule of some sort and had him adrift for decades. At least then it wouldn't undermine the 5D beings credibility.

:wacko:

Maybe they're six-dimensional beings and the sixth dimension is sanctimoniousness.

• Like 1