1. 1. Interstellar

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

****3/4.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

Full of riveting performances, strong, though-provoking ideas, and stunningly brilliant cinematography, Nolan once again proves why he is the biggest innovators of cinema (Both Modern and classic), He has taken clinical sci-fi stories such as 2001 and implemented the heart and soul that many of them have sorely lacked in previous eras. As 2001 was an allegory to religious belief, Interstellar is to the notion that Man is an ever evolving species who owe their development to themselves, not other worldly beings who "bless" us with their assistance.

The visuals are simply out of this world (LITERALLY!). The sheer scope of space exploration conveyed in this instant classic is sure to inspire future generations, both in the art of film making and space exploration. It also uses the aspect of "No sound in space" to the best ability I've ever seen, Used to convey awe, tension, action, terror, and to simply progress a story without any lulls (The revolving Docking Sequence still gets me as I sit here typing), unlike other aspects of entertainment which use the "no sound" aspect in dull time wasters without any emotional attachment or story progression (i.e. Firefly).

As stated, there isn't a single bad performance throughout this film, and several of them are outstanding, such as McConaughey, particularly during his viewing of the 23 years of logs, with Anne Hathaway, Matt Damon, Michael Caine and Jessica Chastain rounding out an impressive supporting cast, alongside a wonderfully antagonistic robot named Tars, whose charm and wit will give any flesh-and-blood character in the upcoming year of cinema a run for their money.

The plot has various twists and turns, both large and small (as expected with Nolan) with all of them feeling organic and hitting all the right beats.

Overall, this is easily the best sci-fi film in decades and another feather in the cap of Nolan's increasingly impressive resume.

Squaremaster, you'd give this film a high rating regardless of its quality.

Midway through the movie, I realized that I was watching the most boring movie of the last several years. Nolan in his narcissistic best has made a movie that is extremely loud at times and very quiet at others, but is always consistently awful. I feel he has perpetrated a bigger fraud on unsuspecting audiences than Professor Brand did in the movie.

The pacing is uneven, some of the acting is just plain bad. Nolan seems to think constant loud music substitutes for tense atmosphere. Nolan is a poor actor's director. He has elicited poor performances from good actors in the past. He completely failed in Insomnia given that he was working with three great actors and turned in a turkey. Marion Cottilard was just terrible in couple of his other movies. Keeping up with Nolan's tradition, we see a fine actor like Matt Damon turn in a laughable performance. People were laughing at him when he was crying after waking up.

The third act is pure torture without any logic. If pseudo science cannot explain something just call it fifth dimension. Really. Is that the supernatural dimension? I must've missed the memo from Fox.

Anyway this is Nolan's The Village. I had very low expectations while going in. Interstellar failed even those low expectations. Nolan has failed at very level with this movie. He is a dour director whose characters always seem joyless.

Last but not least, the dialogues in typical Nolan fashion are pedestrian and seem out of place. I almost  expected this at the end.

Murph: Dad I never said Thank you.

Coop: And you will never have to.

Rating: F

Attention seeker. Talk about hating on certain parts because you were too dumb to understand them lol.

• Like 10

Attention seeker. Talk about hating on certain parts because you were too dumb to understand them lol.

I have read some of your posts including some racist ones. Based on that, I would be hard pressed to rate your IQ much higher than Gump's. So a less erudite person like you would not know hard core science if it came and sat on your face. And seek attention from whom? for what? Unless you happen to be a director of the board I report to, I don't see a need to impress anyone here. I will state it again, Interstellar is a farce or a sham as Murphy so elegantly termed Brand when he irritatingly went into the good night quietly.

Anyway, the hardcore science is so good that it proves Love is a physical force and that is the reason Coop succeeds.. Apparently, there is an Apparition fifth dimension. What great concepts. I would never get it. Thank you great sir.  I plan to throw away my bachelor's and masters engineering degrees and follow great concepts proposed in this greatest science movie ever made.

Just because people are blind to the facts does not mean I will be fine with pseudo science masquerading as  "deep" and high concept ideas.

Even writing about this is just as funny as the bogus concepts themselves.

Edited by jb007
  • Like 1

I have read some of your posts including some racist ones. Based on that, I would be hard pressed to rate your IQ much higher than Gump's. So a less erudite person like you would not know hard core science if it came and sat on your face. And seek attention from whom? for what? Unless you happen to be a director of the board I report to, I don't see a need to impress anyone here. I will state it again, Interstellar is a farce or a sham as Murphy so elegantly termed Brand when he irritatingly went into the good night quietly.

Anyway, the hardcore science is so good that it proves Love is a physical force and that is the reason Coop succeeds.. Apparently, there is an Apparition fifth dimension. What great concepts. I would never get it. Thank you great sir.  I plan to throw away my bachelor's and masters engineering degrees and follow great concepts proposed in this greatest science movie ever made.

Just because people are blind to the facts does not mean I will be fine with pseudo science masquerading as  "deep" and high concept ideas.

Even writing about this is just as funny as the bogus concepts themselves.

first of all, I haven't posted racist comments.

Secondly, Gump probably has a very high IQ

Thirdly relativity has been fascinating to me, my knowledge on the matter may surprise you, I just found it funny how you assumed they made up the term ' 5th dimension' because you clearly by the look of things didn't understand what was going on. I also don't see how this movie deserves an F rating from anyone who isn't trying to seek attention, you are basically saying every single thing about this movie is terrible which is simply not true :)

Edited by jessie
  • Like 1

first of, I haven't posted racist comments.

Secondly, Gump probably has a very high IQ

Thirdly relativity has been fascinating to me, my knowledge on the matter may surprise you, I just found it funny how you assumed they made up the term ' 5th dimension' because you clearly by the look of things didn't understand what was going on. I also don't see how this movie deserves an F rating from anyone who isn't trying to seek attention, you are basically saying every single thing about this movie is terrible which is simply not true :)

It is a complete failure because it only "Pretends" to be a serious and hardcore science movie while all it does is just throw some hail mary's as solid concepts. Bay's scientific vision about world ending with a meteor slamming earth has better scientific basis that what is proposed in this movie. Further, Armageddon is 1000 times more enjoyable than Interstellar.    

It deserves an F for its silly pretensions and ridiculous stretched out running time. The third act just goes on and on and on. This movie makes Prometheus look like The Godfather in comparison.

It is a complete failure because it only "Pretends" to be a serious and hardcore science movie while all it does is just throw some hail mary's as solid concepts. Bay's scientific vision about world ending with a meteor slamming earth has better scientific basis that what is proposed in this movie. Further, Armageddon is 1000 times more enjoyable than Interstellar.    

It deserves an F for its silly pretensions and ridiculous stretched out running time. The third act just goes on and on and on. This movie makes Prometheus look like The Godfather in comparison.

Well you are perfectly entitled to your opinion, even if it's wrong :)

• Like 5

I agree that you are entitled to your incorrect opinion.  :)

The difference is that unlike some blind worshipers here, I list specific instances of failure like pseudo scientific ideas, bad pacing, poor acting as the reasons of my rating. Just stating that my opinion is wrong without proving me wrong makes your argument null and void and completely without merit.

Edited by jb007

As funny as that is I would still lean more toward jb007's opinion. 

I would NEVER EVER use a Michael Bay movie to back up my point though. Unless I was talking about total crapfests. Nolan is a far superior director to Michael Bay. Superior to most I dare say. That doesn't preclude that fact that Nolan's work has major flaws in most of his story premises. The fact that at least while I'm watching I don't seem to mind those huge leaps in logic says to me Nolan is good if not great director. A lessor director could not take such an bass akwards story premise and make it so enjoyable and visually stunning. It's only after I've seen the movie and start to analyze it that I start get so bothered by the plot holes.

When I look at Nolan's films it seems he only wants to give overall concepts and not really explore the details or really look under the hood. He just throws out big ideas and then clearly says in interviews that he leaves it to the audience to interpret. That's all well and good but I think it's a cop out. That's fine for an ending like "Inception". Leave the ending open to the audience. But you can't do that with the basic concepts of the plot. 

• Like 1

I agree that you are entitled to your incorrect opinion.  :)

The difference is that unlike some blind worshipers here, I list specific instances of failure like pseudo scientific ideas, bad pacing, poor acting as the reasons of my rating. Just stating that my opinion is wrong without proving me wrong makes your argument null and void and completely without merit.

Well, it if came to me, I'd say that review of yours was purely there to get people going. I can understand that maybe you didn't like the pacing and all that other stuff, but saying the acting was bad is downright ridiculous.

• Like 1

Midway through the movie, I realized that I was watching the most boring movie of the last several years. Nolan in his narcissistic best has made a movie that is extremely loud at times and very quiet at others, but is always consistently awful. I feel he has perpetrated a bigger fraud on unsuspecting audiences than Professor Brand did in the movie.

The pacing is uneven, some of the acting is just plain bad. Nolan seems to think constant loud music substitutes for tense atmosphere. Nolan is a poor actor's director. He has elicited poor performances from good actors in the past. He completely failed in Insomnia given that he was working with three great actors and turned in a turkey. Marion Cottilard was just terrible in couple of his other movies. Keeping up with Nolan's tradition, we see a fine actor like Matt Damon turn in a laughable performance. People were laughing at him when he was crying after waking up.

The third act is pure torture without any logic. If pseudo science cannot explain something just call it fifth dimension. Really. Is that the supernatural dimension? I must've missed the memo from Fox.

Anyway this is Nolan's The Village. I had very low expectations while going in. Interstellar failed even those low expectations. Nolan has failed at very level with this movie. He is a dour director whose characters always seem joyless.

Last but not least, the dialogues in typical Nolan fashion are pedestrian and seem out of place. I almost  expected this at the end.

Murph: Dad I never said Thank you.

Coop: And you will never have to.

Rating: F

This is probably the stupidest post I've seen in a long while. Congratulations.

Dialogue seems out of place? And what's with this supernatural stuff? Go read some more on the topic before calling it pseudoscience. That's ridiculous. 

• Like 4

Armageddon is one of my favourite movies of all time, if you lot are trying to argue to me why it's better than Interstellar then you are wasting your breath as I'd agree with you. That still doesn't explain how Interstellar deserves and F rating

It's not "No Fate," it's "No Fate But What We Make," and

She carved that whole thing into the picnic table?  I must have missed that.

T3's message lines up comfortably with T1's about the inevitability of humans fucking with AI to our detriment.

Huh?  I have never gotten that from watching Terminator.  Certainly not more than the repeated theme of "No Fate" that is in part 2.  It ends with the shot on the empty road at night because they have just wiped the slate clean and they have no idea what the future holds.

When watching both back-to-back it is really fucking jarring.

Edited by Boner Omega