Interstellar  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Interstellar

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I think Nolan made a much better movie than Spielberg would have.

I saw an article on the original script shortly after Interstellar came out, and honestly a bunch of the stuff in that script sounds a good deal better than Nolan's contorted plot gymnastics glued together with the most gloopy of ideas that even Spielberg wouldn't touch.

• Like 2

I saw an article on the original script shortly after Interstellar came out, and honestly a bunch of the stuff in that script sounds a good deal better than Nolan's contorted plot gymnastics glued together with the most gloopy of ideas that even Spielberg wouldn't touch.

I've read that script. I don't think it's half as good as the end product (Nolan's version) is. I mean, it was pretty good until they reached that planet and there were those plant thingies. That's the point where I wanted to stop reading it, and from there it's all downhill.

You should give it a read sometime and see yourself. Maybe you'll like it, but I read that article and I think I remember the writer skipping on a few parts.

Edited by ChD

But how would John even be born if Kyle Reese didn't come back in time? 

having the future fullfill the past is the trick to get around the paradoxa

in classic mythological stories and fairy tales  there are the bad prohecies (fortune tellings) the protagonist wants to escape, but whatever he does to avoid fate the predicted event will be caused by his acts no matter what

Aside from the fact most of the dialogue is pretty much expositional (which didn't entirely bother me but disconnected me a little bit from the film), this film is perhaps the best I've seen all year 'round. It has everything from incredibly emotional scenes, splendid visuals, and top-notch performances.

A/A+

• Like 5

I believe it is, Murphy has to cryo sleep for 2 years to see Coop.

This is a good point I didn't think of. If Murph had to go into cryo-sleep for 2 years to get to Cooper, what was Cooper doing for those 2 years. It didn't seem like he was portrayed as chillin at the farm that whole time. It would stand to reason that he was found near the wormhole around Saturn and then sent to the "Cooper" station that was some distance away. At least a 2 year journey.

What kind of distance they can travel in 2 years is the question mark. Can they only travel fro saturn to earth in 2 years or from saturn to another galaxy?

Edited by Rufus Magillicutty

This is a good point I didn't think of. If Murph had to go into cryo-sleep for 2 years to get to Cooper, what was Cooper doing for those 2 years. It didn't seem like he was portrayed as chillin at the farm that whole time. It would stand to reason that he was found near the wormhole around Saturn and then sent to the "Cooper" station that was some distance away. At least a 2 year journey.

What kind of distance they can travel in 2 years is the question mark. Can they only travel fro saturn to earth in 2 years or from saturn to another galaxy?

I don't believe she was in Cryo Sleep for 2 years to travel to Cooper, she was merely asleep for a couple years waiting for him to show up somewhere as she was dying and wanted to sleep until she could see her father again. When Cooper wakes up, the doctors mention it'll take a couple weeks for her to visit. Otherwise, when they found Cooper, he was asleep for a couple years before waking up.

Edited by MrPink

Midway through the movie, I realized that I was watching the most boring movie of the last several years. Nolan in his narcissistic best has made a movie that is extremely loud at times and very quiet at others, but is always consistently awful. I feel he has perpetrated a bigger fraud on unsuspecting audiences than Professor Brand did in the movie.

The pacing is uneven, some of the acting is just plain bad. Nolan seems to think constant loud music substitutes for tense atmosphere. Nolan is a poor actor's director. He has elicited poor performances from good actors in the past. He completely failed in Insomnia given that he was working with three great actors and turned in a turkey. Marion Cottilard was just terrible in couple of his other movies. Keeping up with Nolan's tradition, we see a fine actor like Matt Damon turn in a laughable performance. People were laughing at him when he was crying after waking up.

The third act is pure torture without any logic. If pseudo science cannot explain something just call it fifth dimension. Really. Is that the supernatural dimension? I must've missed the memo from Fox.

Anyway this is Nolan's The Village. I had very low expectations while going in. Interstellar failed even those low expectations. Nolan has failed at very level with this movie. He is a dour director whose characters always seem joyless.

Last but not least, the dialogues in typical Nolan fashion are pedestrian and seem out of place. I almost  expected this at the end.

Murph: Dad I never said Thank you.

Coop: And you will never have to.

Rating: F

Edited by jb007
  • Like 2

It was pretty good, but the plot was too confusing and I didn't feel that emotionally connected to the characters.

B-/C+

Midway through the movie, I realized that I was watching the most boring movie of the last several years. Nolan in his narcissistic best has made a movie that is extremely loud at times and very quiet at others, but is always consistently awful. I feel he has perpetrated a bigger fraud on unsuspecting audiences than Professor Brand did in the movie.

The pacing is uneven, some of the acting is just plain bad. Nolan seems to think constant loud music substitutes for tense atmosphere. Nolan is a poor actor's director. He has elicited poor performances from good actors in the past. He completely failed in Insomnia given that he was working with three great actors and turned in a turkey. Marion Cottilard was just terrible in couple of his other movies. Keeping up with Nolan's tradition, we see a fine actor like Matt Damon turn in a laughable performance. People were laughing at him when he was crying after waking up.

The third act is pure torture without any logic. If pseudo science cannot explain something just call it fifth dimension. Really. Is that the supernatural dimension? I must've missed the memo from Fox.

Anyway this is Nolan's The Village. I had very low expectations while going in. Interstellar failed even those low expectations. Nolan has failed at very level with this movie. He is a dour director whose characters always seem joyless.

Last but not least, the dialogues in typical Nolan fashion are pedestrian and seem out of place. I almost  expected this at the end.

Murph: Dad I never said Thank you.

Coop: And you will never have to.

Rating: F

tumblr_inline_nf4labR33q1spc020.gif

• Like 1

Come on guys, you don't seriously discuss time travel in a movie review thread, do you?

The whole concept of time-travel (or sending information through time) is a shaky one and it is entirely possible that there is no possibility within our universe for time-travel at all. While the concept makes fot fun stories, it also creates a paradoxon which can't be explained away.

Everybody interested in a "serious" hard-science time-travel story should read Benford's "Timescape", it's imho still the benchmark. Interstellar's time-travel thing worked rather well within the movie's pseudo-science concept I thought - until the moment they find his body near Saturn, that is, but then the actual story is over anyway.

Speak for yourself, I can travel through time. So far I've travelled 24 years into the future, took me 24 years though.

• Like 2

****3/4.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

Full of riveting performances, strong, though-provoking ideas, and stunningly brilliant cinematography, Nolan once again proves why he is the biggest innovators of cinema (Both Modern and classic), He has taken clinical sci-fi stories such as 2001 and implemented the heart and soul that many of them have sorely lacked in previous eras. As 2001 was an allegory to religious belief, Interstellar is to the notion that Man is an ever evolving species who owe their development to themselves, not other worldly beings who "bless" us with their assistance.

The visuals are simply out of this world (LITERALLY!). The sheer scope of space exploration conveyed in this instant classic is sure to inspire future generations, both in the art of film making and space exploration. It also uses the aspect of "No sound in space" to the best ability I've ever seen, Used to convey awe, tension, action, terror, and to simply progress a story without any lulls (The revolving Docking Sequence still gets me as I sit here typing), unlike other aspects of entertainment which use the "no sound" aspect in dull time wasters without any emotional attachment or story progression (i.e. Firefly).

As stated, there isn't a single bad performance throughout this film, and several of them are outstanding, such as McConaughey, particularly during his viewing of the 23 years of logs, with Anne Hathaway, Matt Damon, Michael Caine and Jessica Chastain rounding out an impressive supporting cast, alongside a wonderfully antagonistic robot named Tars, whose charm and wit will give any flesh-and-blood character in the upcoming year of cinema a run for their money.

The plot has various twists and turns, both large and small (as expected with Nolan) with all of them feeling organic and hitting all the right beats.

Overall, this is easily the best sci-fi film in decades and another feather in the cap of Nolan's increasingly impressive resume.

• Like 2