Interstellar  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Interstellar

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

As always, some blind and clueless worshipers will call my post stupid while they cannot  prove as a scientific fact the items I have listed as pseudo science, proving their assertions to be wildly scientifically challenged.

BTW, stating the same dumb dialogue like do not go into the good night quietly is so wonderful. I just did not get it the first few times Brand kept repeating it. Why does it seem out of place? Asking others to try hard while having hidden the real truth from most is not only out of place and is patently a stupid dialogue especially the same is repeated by Brand prior to dying. Nevah must have been fairly used up in his other movies. :lol:  What about Coop's interaction with teachers? great dialogues. The entire interaction stinks to high heaven.

@chd: I don't care whether one likes my review or not. I'm not asking you to adopt my opinion which is entirely based on the scientific facts presented, acting and poor pacing. I truly despised the movie. 

As always, some blind and clueless worshipers will call my post stupid while they cannot  prove as a scientific fact the items I have listed as pseudo science, proving their assertions to be wildly scientifically challenged.

BTW, stating the same dumb dialogue like do not go into the good night quietly is so wonderful. I just did not get it the first few times Brand kept repeating it. Why does it seem out of place? Asking others to try hard while having hidden the real truth from most is not only out of place and is patently a stupid dialogue especially the same is repeated by Brand prior to dying. Nevah must have been fairly used up in his other movies. :lol:  What about Coop's interaction with teachers? great dialogues. The entire interaction stinks to high heaven.

@chd: I don't care whether one likes my review or not. I'm not asking you to adopt my opinion which is entirely based on the scientific facts presented, acting and poor pacing. I truly despised the movie. 

lolz

• Like 1

The line "There's no fate but what we make for ourselves" is in T2. John says it to the T-800 as something his mom told him, after the two see the picnic table carving.

Oh, believe me I know, I just don't think it's necessary to say the entire thing EVERY time because any fan will know the saying.

The pacing is uneven,  Why is the pacing uneven? Where could the movie have moved faster or slower? What could have been cut? I don't necessarily need specific scenes, but can you at least give me a general idea (ex: the space scenes could've been faster). 

Nolan seems to think constant loud music substitutes for tense atmosphere.

Or he could think that it adds to the tense atmosphere. Without explaining why certain scenes are lacking tension, this doesn't really work as a criticism. 

He completely failed in Insomnia given that he was working with three great actors and turned in a turkey. How did he fail or turn in a turkey? Plenty of people found the acting in Insomnia satisfying. You might not have, but to outright assert it without even giving some description (ex: Al Pacino felt so superficial and dull instead of profound and riveting as a tortured man convinced of his guilt) is pointless as a criticism.

Marion Cottilard was just terrible in couple of his other movies.

Read above.

Keeping up with Nolan's tradition, we see a fine actor like Matt Damon turn in a laughable performance. People were laughing at him when he was crying after waking up. Why did he come off as laughable? Was it the ridiculous dialogue? Was it the philosophy? I'm not going to outright dismiss this criticism as I did the above ones, but you could've gone deeper.

The third act is pure torture without any logic.

Logic in what sense? Movie logic or real life logic?

If pseudo science cannot explain something just call it fifth dimension. Really. Is that the supernatural dimension? I must've missed the memo from Fox.This is the only place where you actually offer any real criticism, imo. Since you claim to be an engineer, I'm going to assume you are right about the pseudo science part. And yes, you are right, Nolan leans on a simple explanation when his pseudo science fails him, which is the idea of the fifth dimension and that dimension being love. However, so what? Are you seriously trying to tell me that you've never been to a film that came up with a  BS explanation to get out of a tough situation? Look at your avatar, dude. Indiana Jones is the king of supernatural deus ex machine intervening in the plot. And that's ok. In Indy, it works because it ties in nicely to the theme (you shouldn't attempt to conquer what isn't yours), character (a protagonist who goes after what he shouldn't and then always realizes just in time that he should learn to let go), and overall story (which involves the hunt for supernatural objects). Is it possible that Nolan's fifth dimension doesn't work on a thematic, character, or story level? Sure. Did you explain that? No.

Anyway this is Nolan's The Village. I had very low expectations while going in. Interstellar failed even those low expectations. Nolan has failed at very level with this movie. He is a dour director whose characters always seem joyless.You claim that you had low expectations and that the film failed to meet them, but honestly, one could argue that you went in wanting to hate the film. Neither statements make your arguments better or worse; all I'm saying is this entire "I had very low expectations" statement is pointless.

Last but not least, the dialogues in typical Nolan fashion are pedestrian and seem out of place. Examples? (Note: I see them in other posts, you should've probably included them here).

Note: I'm mixed on the film. I don't know if I like it or not yet. I say that so that you don't try to group me into some "mindless sheep" category.

Here's the thing. I get that we're on a forum where backing up an opinion isn't that important, but after a while it gets annoying to read "I love it, Nolan is God, he can do no wrong" statements alongside "Nolan sucks; he is so laughable, dumb, indulgent, blah blah blah" statements without any evidence to support either opinion. If you're going to give a film an F, do a better job with the criticism than just asserting a bunch of things.

@Dark Jedi 007:

1. Pacing: It is all over the place. While at no portion of the movie is the pacing fast, it is ridiculously slow in the third act and unnecessarily dragged.

2.Loud music: During several supposed tense scenes, the thing conveying the same is the loud track while the scene themselves do not convey that. Nothing was happening to point out tense moments other than the loud track. There are multiple random scenes through out.

3. Insomnia failed because the three great actors failed to deliver. As a lifelong fan of Pacino, and Williams, I was shocked how poor their performances were. That I lay at the foot of the director.

4. Marion Cotillard's death scene in TDKR may be the single worst acting scene I have ever witnessed from a good actor. It was laughably bad.

5. Why did Mann aka Damon come as laughable? because of his poor performance during the crying scene. Derisive laughter in the theater was more than evident just like in the case of Cotillard.

6. Pseudo science is fine for entertainment vessels like Armageddon and unacceptable for somebody like Nolan who is pretending to be presenting a hardcore and serious science movie. If one wants to be taken seriously then they better come up with proven scientific facts than just making stuff up. It is not my responsibility to explain Nolan's failure of themes such as Love as a force or other bogus elements in the movie. I did not use those bogus concepts in the movie. All I did was point out his concepts are wrong by applying standards of known scientific facts. 

As far as Nolan's movies go, I loved Batman Begins. As I indicated, there are too many misses in his movies to accept him as anything more than a talented director with serious flaws. I cleanly indicated that he is a dour director and his characters are dull and joyless for the most part. While some people are fine with that, there are many like me who do not care for his brand of cinema at least nothing like the overly gushing praise that is heaped on by some twitterati and IMDB fans for Nolan's movies. 

Since I feel the extreme praise is undeserved, I tend to be very serious in assessing his movies. Hence I end up pointing every single flaw that I might not otherwise have taken the time to analyze and point out. 

Edited by jb007
  • Like 1

Seriously though, Matt Damon does cry like that.

It's not even Nolan's fault there. That crying is straight derived from Will Hunting.

I will take your word for it since I do not remember the scene from Good Will Hunting.

But there are other instances similar to that. I still have a tough time telling whether Alfred is crying or smiling during his eulogy where he says he failed Bruce. These expressions are director's responsibility. 

I will take your word for it since I do not remember the scene from Good Will Hunting.

But there are other instances similar to that. I still have a tough time telling whether Alfred is crying or smiling during his eulogy where he says he failed Bruce. These expressions are director's responsibility. 

The man is Jason Bourne, but when he cries, he's as soft as some Charmin toilet paper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PefciTa9fbI

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

By the way Jb007 is talking out of his ass with the Pseudo science part if hes going to use The 5th dimension as his example. It was never meant to be seen as 'love' being the 5th dimension but more being a place where time is linear for forces like gravity to cross over. This is an actual science theory so even though it's not a 'fact' and most likely highly unlikely, it's still a theory that is debated by scientist, much like everything that occurred in this movie so it's not like Nolan made this shit up as a cop out like he said therefore this isn't pseudoscience. I don't see why people would assume he knows what he's talking about simply because he's an engineer, well whoopdi fucking doo, he got a masters in engineering but can't grasp single plot lines of the movie, either he's bullshitting about his masters or it was just easy to come by ;). The idea of a 5th dimension has been around long before Interstellar, it wasn't a get out of jail free card.

It's all irrelevant anyways, it's a film about black holes, wormholes and time travel not to mention it's science fiction , how many sci fi films have you seen that dont feature a little pseudoscience? Look at star trek for christ sake, they are full of it but it's perfectly fine because it's a fucking movie, not a science documentary.

I have a mate like him, went to uni, got his masters then thinks he's Steven Hawkins lol.

Edited by jessie
  • Like 1

By the way Jb007 is talking out of his ass with the Pseudo science part if hes going to use The 5th dimension as his example. It was never meant to be seen as 'love' being the 5th dimension but more being a place where time is linear for forces like gravity to cross over. This is an actual science theory so even though it's not a 'fact' and most likely highly unlikely, it's still a theory that is debated by scientist, much like everything that occurred in this movie so it's not like Nolan made this shit up as a cop out like he said therefore this isn't pseudoscience. I don't see why people would assume he knows what he's talking about simply because he's an engineer, well whoopdi fucking doo, he got a masters in engineering but can't grasp single plot lines of the movie, either he's bullshitting about his masters or it was just easy to come by ;). The idea of a 5th dimension has been around long before Interstellar, it wasn't a get out of jail free card.

It's all irrelevant anyways, it's a film about black holes, wormholes and time travel not to mention it's science fiction , how many sci fi films have you seen that dont feature a little pseudoscience? Look at star trek for christ sake, they are full of it but it's perfectly fine because it's a fucking movie, not a science documentary.

I have a mate like him, went to uni, got his masters then thinks he's Steven Hawkins lol.

You are so full of it that it is pathetic. You argue both ways. You defend Nolan's science but also make excuse for it by stating what sci-fi movies do not use pseudoscience. 

Good education may be the best option to improve yourself instead of spouting complete nonsense. Give it a shot. 

You are so full of it that it is pathetic. You argue both ways. You defend Nolan's science but also make excuse for it by stating what sci-fi movies do not use pseudoscience. 

Good education may be the best option to improve yourself instead of spouting complete nonsense. Give it a shot. 

not at all, I never once said the film doesn't have pseudoscience, im just not agreeing with your example of it. Face it, you assumed this 5th dimension was just some made up bullshit by Nolan to explain his way out of a situation without actually reading up on it before hand, but yeah, I need educating

not at all, I never once said the film doesn't have pseudoscience, im just not agreeing with your example of it. Face it, you assumed this 5th dimension was just some made up bullshit by Nolan to explain his way out of a situation without actually reading up on it before hand, but yeah, I need educating

The fifth dimension he has proposed is made up. Hope you do know that. 

The fifth dimension he has proposed is made up. Hope you do know that. 

I mean, technically speaking that is correct.  But that just means you're taking the stance that a lot of theoretical physics is made up.

And I can't even tell anymore if people are serious when they think that Nolan was saying love is the fifth dimension or just poking fun at how overly done he pushed the whole concept of love.

• Like 1