Olive

Fast & Furious 7 | 1165.6m overseas | 1518.6m Worldwide | Crosses $1.5 Billion Worldwide / 3m from passing The Avengers WW total!

SS was the closest film to miss $1b worldwide.

DH2 missed $1b OS by just 40m. 

Black-Woman-Crying.jpg

Old OS beasts have a huge disadvantage with today films. And today films will have a huge disadvantage with films released within 5-10 years, when every big releases will make usually 600-700 million just in China. I said this previously but let's insist: let's say from now DOM+OS without China+China to compare fairly with old movies.

• Like 2

With the re-release in 2011, yes. But Harry Potter 1 was the closest miss in first run.

Though even without adjusting for OS market inflation, HP1 would be well over $1B now, with domestic inflation and OS exchange changes (the dollar was even stronger in 2001).

I am pretty sure TLK's original WW admissions would also be $1B today. Same for Jurassic Park (first run), the first two Lord of the Rings movies, Star Wars Episode I, and Shrek 2. And possibly Independence Day, Spider-Man, and/or Chamber of Secrets (DOM inflation + peludo's exchange-adjusted OS bring them very close to $1B, but I'm not sure if OS market ticket price inflations would bring them over the $1B mark when exchanged to USD. Probably?)

On the flip side, The Dark Knight, Alice in Wonderland, Toy Story 3, Pirates 4, Skyfall and Hobbit 1 would not be $1B today. (Skyfall would be the closest, followed by TDK, then TS3. Hobbit wouldn't even be $900m, and Pirates 4 came out when the dollar was at its absolute weakest and would be something like $850m if peludo's exchange adjustments are correct.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

That's not a fair comparison because you are always taking in account how bad are today exchange rates but you are overlooking how big the Chinese market is nowadays...

And Latin America, it was much smaller 10 years ago.

• Like 1

That's not a fair comparison because you are always taking in account how bad are today exchange rates but you are overlooking how big the Chinese market is nowadays...

I'm not trying to determine how well past films would have done in China. I have no idea how well anything in the past would have done in China. For example, if Pirates 4 had come out today instead of in 2011, even with unfavorable exchange rates it could well have still gotten to a billion if it did really well in China.

What I am trying to say is that the amount of tickets sold by past films like Jurassic Park, The Lion King, Harry Potter 1 and so forth, when multiplied by the current ticket prices in each market and converted to USD at today's exchange rates (unfavorable they may be) would adjust to over $1B as well. The North American, Western European and Japanese markets were stronger then; Latin America, Eastern Europe and Asia have grown, but the former "first world" markets have shrunk (and business for American imported films in Japan has generally fallen from 90s-00s levels).

My point was more about how some of the films in 2010-12, when the 3D boom was at its biggest and the dollar was at its weakest, may not have sold enough tickets to get to $1B with things being as they are today.

I am not trying to marginalize Furious 7 - with 2013 exchange rates it might have already been at $1.25B. The exchange rates are making it harder for films to reach $1B, so something like Furious 7 doing it now is definitely a big achievement.

I really should have put my observations in a different thread, actually - they have nothing to do with Furious 7.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

OMG FF7 did it! :blink: Even with crappy exchange rates. If I'm not mistaken, the previous all time record holder in Indonesia was IM3 with around $15m. Assuming FF7 has made just above it, with the same exchange rates as IM3, it would have been $20m! That's crazy! Now I wonder if AoU can break the record again (which is very likely), or will it fall short. If it does break the all time record, that means it's broken twice in two months this year. :o

Edited by catlover

SS was the closest film to miss $1b worldwide.

DH2 missed $1b OS by just 40m.

Black-Woman-Crying.jpg

Actually the film that came closest to $1B worldwide was The Dark Knight, which was stuck at $997M and then WB re-released it. Something no one ever talks about although it's actually scandalous cuz BOM doesn't indicate this re-release (it only mentions the re-release in 2012).

OMG FF7 did it! :blink: Even with crappy exchange rates. If I'm not mistaken, the previous all time record holder in Indonesia was IM3 with around $15m. Assuming FF7 has made just above it, with the same exchange rates as IM3, it would have been $20m! That's crazy! Now I wonder if AoU can break the record again (which is very likely), or will it fall short. If it does break the all time record, that means it's broken twice in two months this year. :o

Actually all these records are in local currency. It may well be true that Furious 7 hasn't made $15M in Indonesia yet (I have no idea what the gross is in dollars).