Olive

Fast & Furious 7 | 1165.6m overseas | 1518.6m Worldwide | Crosses $1.5 Billion Worldwide / 3m from passing The Avengers WW total!

Old OS beasts have a huge disadvantage with today films. And today films will have a huge disadvantage with films released within 5-10 years, when every big releases will make usually 600-700 million just in China. I said this previously but let's insist: let's say from now DOM+OS without China+China to compare fairly with old movies.

This is pointless

If you exclude now China to compare fairly with HP7 or Dark Knight then you have to exclude Russia and most of Latin America to compare those movies to Lotr and the first HP and then exclude even more countries to compare fairly lotr and HP1 to Jurrasic Park and ID4 and so on.

Edited by Joel M

So is BOM just really behind on the foreign section of the film? Because the numbers there only add up to like $450m OS. Granted I know they don't list every country there, but I wouldn't think that extra 400m is coming from all the smaller countries.

BOM's international section is completely fucked up. They stopped updating quite a few territories and some they update after weeks. 

Actually all these records are in local currency. It may well be true that Furious 7 hasn't made $15M in Indonesia yet (I have no idea what the gross is in dollars).

Ah, that makes more sense lol. Still great achievement!

Edited by catlover

This is pointless

If you exclude now China to compare fairly with HP7 or Dark Knight then you have to exclude Russia and most of Latin America to compare those movies to Lotr and the first HP and then exclude even more countries to compare fairly lotr and HP1 to Jurrasic Park and ID4 and so on.

I do not think is so pointless. I agree that there are other markets that have increased, but not in a so big proportion. 10 years ago, the biggest grosser of a year in China was usually making 15-20 million. The highest grosser in Russia in 2005 did $25m, what today is, in fact, a good gross. And even in Latin America, whose countries have obviously increased, there are not so huge difference between biggest grossers 10 years ago and today in absolute terms. We are talking about that a franchise which is increasing $300m in just 2 years or a 500% increase. And taking into account that this special market will surpass US in a not so long period time, I think we should start to think about it as a whole. In terms of absolute grosses China makes a huge difference relative to 10 years ago.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 2

USA    CHINA       OS       TOT
W1  $147,18           $245,10   $392,28
W2  $104,33   $64,05  $241,04   $409,42
W3   $43,00  $185,85  
$121,82   $350,67

W4   $19,35   $74,34   $54,82   $148,51

T   $313,86  $324,24  $662,78 $1.300,88

• Like 4

I do not think is so pointless. I agree that there are other markets that have increased, but not in a so big proportion. 10 years ago, the biggest grosser of a year in China was usually making 15-20 million. The highest grosser in Russia in 2005 did $25m, what today is, in fact, a good gross. And even in Latin America, whose countries have obviously increased, there are not so huge difference between biggest grossers 10 years ago and today in absolute terms. We are talking about that a franchise which is increasing $300m in just 2 years or a 500% increase. And taking into account that this special market will surpass US in a not so long period time, I think we should start to think about it as a whole. In terms of absolute grosses China makes a huge difference relative to 10 years ago.

Exactly, David Poland of Movie City News wrote a blog post just recently about this right here.

http://moviecitynews.com/2015/04/weekend-estimates-by-ex-kladina/

I don't agree with everything David states (he doesn't believe in trying to use adjusted grosses for various reasons) but I do agree that China boxoffice going forward is a major game changer. I hesitate to put an asterisks on anything but when you consider China will be surpassing domestic boxoffice and become the number one market in the world and future films will literally be putting up 500 million grosses in an expanding market that is noteworthy and must be taken into account with all past film comparisons.  

Exactly, David Poland of Movie City News wrote a blog post just recently about this right here.

I don't agree with everything David states (he doesn't believe in trying to use adjusted grosses for various reasons) but I do agree that China boxoffice going forward is a major game changer. I hesitate to put an asterisks on anything but when you consider China will be surpassing domestic boxoffice and become the number one market in the world and future films will literally be putting up 500 million grosses in an expanding market that is noteworthy and must be taken into account with all past film comparisons.  

This china bump is only going to apply to a few movies a year.. If it propels 1B films 300-500m  closer to 2B, well that's just making up for declining ticket sales for the last 30 years.  A film has to do 2B ww to beat Jaws ET SW Exorcist , Dom and established markets are still shrinking. This "bump" is just making up the difference of this 30 year decline in a matter of a few years, In the end the studios love a headline, that's why they don't adjust for inflation or report ticket sales.  They like to announce that its a top ten dom or ww, which they get to do every year do to inflation and expanding markets. There are just a few thousand of us that follow BO and care about the stats. 7B others aren't aware or concerned. All they hear is the headline and that's what the studios will feed them. If there is an asterisk for china for 2014 (TF4s pop)then you need one for talkies 1927, TV 1951, WW population has doubled since 1968, Cable 1980, VCR 1984, Quick DVD/VCR late 90s, internet piracy early 2000's and now rapid china expansion. to name a few Some had slow positive/negative impacts others were fast,

China;s economy will slow down. All do. When that happens so will the BO. They will not be passing Dom anytime soon, A bust will happen before then and BO will flatten out.

what is WW BO? anyone know? DOM was 10.5b, China was 4b last year?  no idea what the rest is including all films. I would like to see the number for the rest of OS. China is close to 20% of the ww population sans dom. I would think that 20% +/-2.5% of overall OS would be their target to get to and rapid growth ceases.

The Deadline most profitable of 2014 estimated domestic take at 51% and overseas at 39%, but if my memory serves the WB documents on the money-losing harry potter movie had it at more like 56% and 46%.  

´what is WW BO? anyone know?´

MPAA knows, every year they make Theatrical market statistics.

Global box Office in 2014 36.4B. In 2010 it was 31,6B.

http://www.mpaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/MPAA-Theatrical-Market-Statistics-2014.pdf

Global box office for all films released in each country around the world reached $36.4 billion in 2014, up 1% over 2013’s total, due to an increase in international box office ($26.0 billion). Growth was driven primarily by the Asia Pacific region (+12%). Chinese box office ($4.8 billion) increased 34% in 2014, becoming the first international market to exceed $4 billion in box office.

•Cinema screens increased by 6% worldwide in 2014 to over 142,000, due in large part to continued double digit growth in the Asia Pacific region (+15%). Over 90% of the world’s cinema screens are now digital.

In 2014, the Asia Pacific region ($12.4 billion) increased 12% compared to 2013, driving the international increase and remaining the largest region in terms of international box office for the second year in a row. Chinese box office increased 34% in U.S. dollars to $4.8 billion, becoming the first market outside U.S./Canada to exceed $4 billion in box office revenue.

Latin America box office increased 2% (an increase of $60 million), less than in previous years due to decreases in larger markets such as Mexico (-5%) and Argentina (-20%).

Europe, Middle East & Africa (EMEA) box office decreased 3% from 2013, due to decreases in larger European markets such as Germany (-7%) and the U.K. (-1%).

´This china bump is only going to apply to a few movies a year´ 

yes, but this few movies a year make 70 percent of all gross´

what is WW BO? anyone know?

This china bump is only going to apply to a few movies a year.. If it propels 1B films 300-500m  closer to 2B, well that's just making up for declining ticket sales for the last 30 years.  A film has to do 2B ww to beat Jaws ET SW Exorcist , Dom and established markets are still shrinking. This "bump" is just making up the difference of this 30 year decline in a matter of a few years, In the end the studios love a headline, that's why they don't adjust for inflation or report ticket sales.  They like to announce that its a top ten dom or ww, which they get to do every year do to inflation and expanding markets. There are just a few thousand of us that follow BO and care about the stats. 7B others aren't aware or concerned. All they hear is the headline and that's what the studios will feed them. If there is an asterisk for china for 2014 (TF4s pop)then you need one for talkies 1927, TV 1951, WW population has doubled since 1968, Cable 1980, VCR 1984, Quick DVD/VCR late 90s, internet piracy early 2000's and now rapid china expansion. to name a few Some had slow positive/negative impacts others were fast,

China;s economy will slow down. All do. When that happens so will the BO. They will not be passing Dom anytime soon, A bust will happen before then and BO will flatten out.

what is WW BO? anyone know? DOM was 10.5b, China was 4b last year?  no idea what the rest is including all films. I would like to see the number for the rest of OS. China is close to 20% of the ww population sans dom. I would think that 20% +/-2.5% of overall OS would be their target to get to and rapid growth ceases.

• Like 2

david is wrong in many ways. US distributors get much smaller count then in any other country (i dont remember the exact number now, 15 or 20 percent? it is just about  a half of what they get from other countries, but their p&a (prints and advertising) expensise are near zero) no one knows how to compare amount of Money US distributors get from china and other countries but it  seems to be about same if we count out their p&a expensise in such countries.

david implies that chinese box office is not as important as it sounds. he says there are only 10 US movies which made over 100M in chinese box office which is not a big number. he doenst see that china did such a number in 3 years and there are only two other countries (japan and UK) in which more than 10 US movies have made over 100M and it took them a decade.  chinese box ofifce revenue in 2014 was nearly 5B, foreign movies count for about half of it, most if these gross goes to HW movies/ big HW studios. HW studios revenues in China in 2014 was about 2B, which is more then complete box office of any other country. and it is still rising. 10 years ago chinese box office was about 500M, today it is 5B. no country ever has made such a strong increase. chinese gross is very important, way too important for HW studios.

some numbers. 10 years ago, internation box office was about 10B. 70 percent of this number goes to HW studios distributors. OK, half of it, the other half is kept by theaters. HW distributors got about 3,5B abroad. we have to deduct about 50 percent for all distribution expensise. prints, advertising, change of local currencies, distributors fees. HW studios get aproximatelly 1,75B from abroad.  today, international box office is 26B, 5 B comes from china alone. so it goes 70 percent of 21B, 14,7B down half and another half, 3,6B. Chinese gross 5B, 50 percent for HW distributors, they get about 20 percent of it, 0,5B.  

In US,  theaters revenue is about 10B, big HW studio movies count for about 70 percent , hald of the moeny stays in theaters,  3,5B goes to distributors, again, P&A, distribution fee, in reality they see about 1,7B.

10 years ago HW studios got about 1,7B from foreign theaters exhibitions, and 1,7B from US theaters. today they get 4B, where 0,5B is from China alone and 1,7 from US.   in 3 years, it will be 4,5B, where 1B would be from China,  in 6-7 years,  HW studios can get about the same amount of Money from China than from US.

conclusion, 10 years ago HW made about the same money from foreing theaters than from US ones. today it makes twice as much from abroad. 10 years from now, it will make 3 times as much from abroad than from US, and one of this halves will be China alone. this will be the time when chinese revenues stop growing. HW studios need to build as much presence, contacts, influence, ... in China as it goes. and they need to do it now.  and they do it now. this is somting, David, doesnt seem to understand.

Edited by dezorz
  • Like 4

So china has nearly reached 20% of OS BO. I think we see a slow down in growth soon. Less than +10% in the next year or two and some flat years soon to follow. They say China will pass US BO in a few years. I think they flatten out or have nominal gains  once $7-8B is reached. I don't see them exceeding 25% of OS