Big Hero 6 (2014)

74 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I liked it a lot. Loved the cinematography it had. Also Go Go is a bad ass.

Forgot to say... The scene where Baymax is told to kill professor Callaghan is so damn well made. That soundtrack fit so well with everything. Too bad it's a 40 seconds segment -_-

A-

Edited by ChD

The film looks incredible. The animation is just stunning. I loved it! The story is pretty solid, while not completely new ground, it has some really solid characters that really tie the entire film together. I certainly hope to see more of this team.

A-

Worst WDAS in awhile... Maybe since Chicken Little. The art direction and animation are terrific, and Baymax is awesome. But beyond that, very little about it felt fresh. It goes through its Marvel-origin story beats competently enough, but they all just felt like obvious beats. The bait-and-switch was obvious from the beginning, Callaghan's origin story was horribly rushed, and reviving Baymax five minutes after his "death" scene made that scene feel disingenuous. 

C+

Even though it's not the game-changer that Frozen was, Big Hero 6 marks a strong continuation of Disney's in-house winning streak with animation. On top of being consistently entertaining from start to finish, it also succeeds in crafting some sincerely heartfelt moments, even if said moments are clearly predictable (honestly, once the concept was introduced, who didn't know exactly what Baymax would do at the climax, and what the pertinent lines of dialogue would be?). The filmmakers wisely emphasize the relationship between the protagonist, Hiro, and the nursing robot, Baymax, and this relationship successfully mirrors that of John Connor and the T-800 of Terminator 2 in about as family-friendly a fashion as could be expected, and little of its potency is lost on an older viewer because of the delicacy and cleverness of its integration into the main storyline. Although the focus on Baymax's antics detracts from the development of the other heroes included in the title, it ultimately forms the backbone of the film's strong and affecting emotional appeal; even with the predictability of the situation in play, it's tough not to feel for the characters in the third act because of how well their relationship has been developed. The film also does a commendable job of dealing with themes of loss and pain, and even though it isn't quite as eloquent as fellow 2014 animation piece How to Train Your Dragon 2 in this regard, it still feels very emotionally resonant and more morally challenging than the typical family film. In addition to its strengths on an emotional front, the filmmakers also do solid work with physical comedy and sight gags, which more than successfully alleviate some of the film's darker material and provide some of its more memorable moments. Although it might be easy to write Big Hero 6 off as a somewhat lesser effort in the face of last year's Frozen, it's about on par with Wreck-It Ralph in terms of succeeding well enough to be thoroughly entertaining not only for younger viewers, but also for adults who wander into it with or without the accompaniment of children.

B+

Upon more thought, it really is just a movie you enjoy watching. There's not much unique or even really that spectacular to it. I just had a really good time watching it. It's comfort cinema at its finest. Sometimes, you just want a nice, earnest movie like this.

Upon more thought, it really is just a movie you enjoy watching. There's not much unique or even really that spectacular to it. I just had a really good time watching it. It's comfort cinema at its finest. Sometimes, you just want a nice, earnest movie like this.

Join the dark side Spaghetti.  :ph34r:

That was great. Really liked it. It's was WAY better than I expected. Loved Hiro and Baymax.

But that end.... Couldn't they just simply became normal people after finishing their mission??? It would have been so much more inspiring and "real".

A-

Edited by xSabrinax

But that end.... Couldn't they just simply became normal people after finishing their mission??? It would have been so much more inspiring and "real".

A-

The end scene was them heading off to school... seemed pretty normal to me.

the script is a huge mess, it's inconsistent, how ridiculously easy they find clues, the act structure is all messed up and there is basically no plot. The humor is not good, bad voice work, we get a hour of a whole lot of nothing, too much time wasted in trivial things. And the relation with his brother abd his friends never sounds natural (for different reasons), we never know why they hang out with Hiro, why are they helping him, there's no apparent reason other than "hey he is supposedly our friend, we must wear supersuits and help him" 

Long story short, it's dumber than the average, has impressive visuals and decent ending. 60/100

• Community Manager

The opening and Baymax were really amazing. Baymax really is my favorite character from the movie. Having said that, the action is very forgettable and of the team only Hiro/Baymax get any real character arc.

B+

the script is a huge mess, it's inconsistent, how ridiculously easy they find clues, the act structure is all messed up and there is basically no plot. The humor is not good, bad voice work, we get a hour of a whole lot of nothing, too much time wasted in trivial things. And the relation with his brother abd his friends never sounds natural (for different reasons), we never know why they hang out with Hiro, why are they helping him, there's no apparent reason other than "hey he is supposedly our friend, we must wear supersuits and help him"

Long story short, it's dumber than the average, has impressive visuals and decent ending. 60/100

They probably go with Hiro's plan because they know how distant he has been since Tadashi died, and they knew that Hiro really wanted to do this in order to gain new purpose and improve his emotional state which has been damage ever since.

They probably go with Hiro's plan because they know how distant he has been since Tadashi died, and they knew that Hiro really wanted to do this in order to gain new purpose and improve his emotional state which has been damage ever since.

I get why they did that what they did, I just find it incredibly unrealistic, even for a film like this.