grim22

Wknd Estimates: Nolan = 50M | BH6 = 56M+(pg 72) (who cares, our forum lives!)

I doubt Nolan's ambition here was to break records. If it were, I'm sure he would have made a very different movie.

Nolan'S ambition was surely to please the people who entrusted him with $165m to make his movie.

Perhaps he won't succeed with that.

• Like 1

What is classic?

I meant primarily those in the first pulp fictions, where rocketmen were the protagonists.

Well, the dictionary definition is: 

clas·sic  (klsk)
adj.
a. Belonging to the highest rank or class.
b. Serving as the established model or standard: a classic example of colonial architecture.
c. Having lasting significance or worth; enduring.

Most modern films can't really be said to fall into this category when they come out.  Even Gravity, which did well, still has to prove that it has lasting significance or appeal beyond just a couple of years to be considered classic.

Star Wars IS classic by this definition.  You can't simply look at one type of movie and say just because it's classic that nothing else in any other style can also be classic.

I'm not saying Paramount have or will fudge any weekend number but we know it does happen but why does it?.

Do they think more people will go see this film if it opened at $50mil instead of $48mil etc?.

It always makes me smile.

Probably a matter of pride.

• Like 1

I doubt Nolan's ambition here was to break records. If it were, I'm sure he would have made a very different movie.

I believe the issue in question isn't whether Nolan meant to break records or whether is was a good movie.  It was the fact that someone was saying that science fiction doesn't do well with audiences, just generally speaking, and then countering claims that movies like Star Wars/Star Trek/Avatar/etc did well by saying they only succeeded so much because they're not actually sci-fi. (or don't count as sci-fi)

Edited by Sal