grim22

Weekend Numbers (Nov 14-16) pg 39

I am eating tons of crowd as we speak. Enough of crazy predictions for me this year. I can't handle so much crow. 

According to your sig, DADT will gross more on OW than your predicted total. It will gross more than my predicted OW of 29M as well.

• Like 1

Horrible Bosses 2 will make over 200M. Just you all wait and see.

You all laugh now, but when HB2 makes over 200M I will get the last laugh. :P

Then I will eat a big plate of crow. :lol:

Bosses 2 over Jump 2 final does not make sense to me

• Like 3

I am starting to think Unbroken can make a run for 200, especially if it ends up the clear Oscar favorite. And since there's tons of family programming this Xmas, but not a whole lot of super appealing adult movies. It could really capture that audience. But 300+ would require an even bigger breakout than The Blind Side and I can't see that. Especially since I expect Annie and The Hobbit to be big  grossers in December as well. MJ1 will have already been huge. Box office can only support so many big grossers in a short period.

Anyways, that IS number is about the best I would have ever expected. A drop below 50% this weekend is better than I thought for sure. DADT OD is good, especially for poor Carrey who hasn't really been able to open a live action comedy since Bruce Almighty. I expect subpar legs though, and 100m is probably the best it can get to with a mid 30's OW.

BH6 jump is awesome, and if it keeps following the Brother Bear/Madagascar 2 trajectory (both had Tuesdays on Veteran's Day) we can expect another huge Saturday jump of possibly 100%+. It has been particularly following Madagascar 2 all week, which jumped 107% on that Saturday after a 320% Friday bump. So it could still win the weekend as well.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 4

Am I the only one who thinks Unbroken looks TERRIBLE. Its so ugly and digital I hate it. 

I've been avoiding the trailers so I can't really say but it's Deakins, how can it look bad?

Now, the quality of the movie itself is still up in the air...

• Like 1

I've been avoiding the trailers so I can't really say but it's Deakins, how can it look bad?

The visuals look a lot weaker than the likes of No Country or Jesse James. Definitely has a very glossy digital appearance. I assume that is Jolie's choice since Deakins shot Skyfall last year with digital cameras and it looked amazing. Maybe Jolie just has poor choices as a director.

• Like 3

Yes, that's what I was predicting for it.

$17m

$15m

$8.5m

I could be very wrong of course.

$17 million ($121 million)

$16.5 million/$24 million ($150 million)

$9 million ($163 million)

$6 million ($172 million)

$4 million ($178 million)

$3.5 million ($186 million)

$2.5 million ($192 million)

$1.5 million ($194 million)

$198 million DOM total

Honestly that feels like the best-case scenario unless it drops sub-40% next week and increases over the Thanksgiving 3 day. 

$17 million ($121 million)

$16.5 million/$24 million ($150 million)

$9 million ($163 million)

$6 million ($172 million)

$4 million ($178 million)

$3.5 million ($186 million)

$2.5 million ($192 million)

$1.5 million ($194 million)

$198 million DOM total

Honestly that feels like the best-case scenario unless it drops sub-40% next week and increases over the Thanksgiving 3 day. 

I assume those predictions are for the rest of Interstellar's run? You're really overestimating it's drops for Christmas/New Year's. The inevitable barrage of Christmas releases will force theaters to drop the oldest movies.

• Like 1

The marketplace can support two big comedies, I think both D&D and HB2 should hit 100m. I think The Interview probably ends up with 70-80m, just because the subject matter may be too much for some people.

There's no way Unbroken and Into the Woods are hitting those numbers. lmao But i notice you tend to overestimate everything. 

How am I overestimating Into the Woods? BOM and BO.com both predict over $130 million DOM for it. And it's the Disney Christmas release. $170-180 million is pretty reasonable.

Unbroken - I'm getting vibes similar to other breakout dramas: Blind Side, Passion of the Christ, Sixth Sense, Forrest Gump.

Every five years since 1994 there's been a blockbuster drama that no one really saw coming. Titanic is the obvious exception to the rule. 

For 2014, I have a feeling Unbroken can break out and join the top 5 DOM for 2014. I even said $325 million DOM is a little ridiculous lol. I'm expecting $175-225 million right now. $300-350 million wouldn't shock me considering its universal appeal and BP frontrunner status. 

• Like 1

The trailer for Unbroken does look really dull.  Every single cliche in the book is used.  Don't understand why GoldDerby currently has it as the 2nd or 3rd best odds to win Best Picture.  The movie I will be seeing on Christmas Day is Big Eyes.  That looks far more appealing.  Tim Burton reuniting with his writers from Ed Wood on a topic he is personally passionate about.

• Like 1

I assume those predictions are for the rest of Interstellar's run? You're really overestimating it's drops for Christmas/New Year's. The inevitable barrage of Christmas releases will force theaters to drop the oldest movies.

That was my best-case scenario. I expect $160-165 million DOM as Interstellar's final total. Unbroken, Into the Woods, Hobbit 3, Exodus and NATM3 are going to make quite a bit of moolah. No room for early November releases. 

I am eating tons of crowd as we speak. Enough of crazy predictions for me this year. I can't handle so much crow. 

Your original Dracula Untold prediction was very close (only a few million off). Unfortunately you changed it twice before the movie came out.

• Like 2

Bosses 2 over Jump 2 final does not make sense to me

I am basically predicting with my heart and not my head. Horrible Bosses is one of my favorite comedies since 2000 and I think HB2 looks hilarious. I am sure I will be way wrong, but if I am right it will be a sweet victory.

• Like 5

I am basically predicting with my heart and not my head. Horrible Bosses is one of my favorite comedies since 2000 and I think HB2 looks hilarious. I am sure I will be way wrong, but if I am right it will be a sweet victory.

OK, Dr. Brand.

I do think HB2 looks funny as hell though.

• Like 3

The trailer for Unbroken does look really dull.  Every single cliche in the book is used.  Don't understand why GoldDerby currently has it as the 2nd or 3rd best odds to win Best Picture.  The movie I will be seeing on Christmas Day is Big Eyes.  That looks far more appealing.  Tim Burton reuniting with his writers from Ed Wood on a topic he is personally passionate about.

Perhaps its like Forrest Gump during WW2. 

• Like 1