Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

MJ1 41.3,BH6 9.7,IS 6.9,DADT 6.2,GG 1.4

41.3M Saturday would mean a 123.5M weekend. BH6 looking at 19M, and Interstellar at 15M. 41.3 is the exact same drop from OD as Catching Fire and The Hunger Games (25%).

That Mockingjay weekend number is unbelievable, don't think anyone thought sub-125M would have been possible.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

The most interesting fact here : 2014 was a weak year in the US despite it was the biggest recent year for the US economy at the same time! While the recession was strong and the unemployment quite high the DOM BO was strong.

Does that mean people are more likely to watch a movie during a recession? Does that mean people have less time for leisure when they find a job again? Or is it because of an inadequate supply?

It's the opposite of what happened in Spain : the BO strongly fell during the recession there and really suffered from it, now the BO started to recover as the economy gets better.

It would be an interesting case study for sure, and an example of cultural differences leading to different results.

Movies offer escapism but I think North American tickets are just too expensive especially if you'll watch with your family. Repeat viewings are probably not as common. Watching multiple movies in a month has also become rare I guess.

41.3M Saturday would mean a 123.5M weekend. BH6 looking at 19M, and Interstellar at 15M. 41.3 is the exact same drop from OD as Catching Fire and The Hunger Games (25%).

That Mockingjay weekend number is unbelievable, don't think anyone thought sub-125M would have been possible.

Relative to CF it's a terrible number. No 2 ways about that.

• Like 1

Movies offer escapism but I think North American tickets are just too expensive especially if you'll watch with your family. Repeat viewings are probably not as common. Watching multiple movies in a month has also become rare I guess.

US ticket prices never seemed expensive to me, if buyng power is taken into account they're relatively cheap, particularly compared to prices in other countries.

• Like 1

It's not actually low balling. It's based on solid facts. Bad reviews and bad marketing already exclude the chance of this movie having better holds than Catching Fire. Most likely, it'll follow Deathly Hallows Part 1, maybe a tad better. It'll finish with 128-130 AT MOST.

Solid facts? :rofl: oh my God, bad reviews you're defining the movie by that? You're generalizing. Not every review is bad, while I won't deny there are bad reviews. But come on, seriously.

I'm not a douche or anything, but I just want to have the satisfaction to say I told you so.

Basically, I told you so.

• Like 1

US ticket prices never seemed expensive to me, if buyng power is taken into account they're relatively cheap, particularly compared to prices in other countries.

That's because you don't live in the US. A movie ticket costs as much as 2 months of a netflix subscription and concessions are ridiculous prices and no reserved seating means you need to get to the theater early.

For a family of 4 it is not just about money, but convenience starts playing a huge part.

• Like 3

That's because you don't live in the US. A movie ticket costs as much as 2 months of a netflix subscription and concessions are ridiculous prices and no reserved seating means you need to get to the theater early.

For a family of 4 it is not just about money, but convenience starts playing a huge part.

That is interesting. For us everything seems so much cheaper in America, but it is mostly about the relative prices.

I'm not a douche or anything, but I just want to have the satisfaction to say I told you so.

Basically, I told you so.

You told me nothing! :rofl: God, the whole point of this conversation was how despite whatever you call facts, and I don't mean actual factual data such as numbers..but using a sort of bias to lead your predictions and the crazy lowballing for DOM or what have you..

but

went over your head

:P

Do we know how Horrible Bosses and Penguins are tracking? 

For HB2, I would have guessed 40 a month ago, but early reviews have lessened some of the enthusiasm. Not unreasonable to expect Horrible Bosses 2 to do something in the 30-35 range. It should be fairly close to Dumb and Dumber To. Though it wouldn't surprise me if the reviews hurt this one a little bit more.

Penguins should do at least 30 (for just the 3-day) but I wouldn't be at all surprised by 40-45. It's always tough for me to judge with kids movies, but it seems like the marketing has been fairly effective and funny.

With IS, BH6, DADT, and HG3, the market is probably just too crowded for either movie to do any more. (Under better circumstances, I would have said 40-45 for HB2 and 50 for Penguins.)

• Like 1

The sad thing is, the biggest film this year could be the lowest number one film since 2007.

Actually the lowest film since 2001. Spider-Man 3 made $336M in 2007. This is also looking to be the lowest OW since 2005 and ROTS opened on a Thurs. that year with a $158M 4-Day. 

• Like 1