Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

noun: flop; plural noun: flops
  1. 1.
    a heavy, loose, and ungainly movement, or a sound made by it.
    "they hit the ground with a flop"
  2. 2.
    informal
    a total failure.
    "the play had been a flop"
    synonyms: failure, disaster, debacle, catastrophe, loser, loss-maker; More

Misuse of the word, no matter how wide spread doesn't change the current definition.  MJ1 isn't a flop because it isn't a disaster, loss maker, failure, debacle etc.

The number is lower than expectations so it can be seen as a disappointing it didn't live up to it's potential but financially it's still a huge success.

• Like 6

Opening above $100m:

Furious 7

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Jurassic World

Mockingjay Part 2

Star Wars

That's 5 guaranteed, plus any others that get lucky (e.g. Bond 24).

I don't think Jurassic World and not even Furious 7 is quite guaranteed

• Like 1

The way I'm reading the situation is: The people calling it "Floppingjay" are doing so as a joke. But "flop" is attached to movies that disappoint, hence Floppit. Obviously these films aren't money losers. It's not about how I'm using the word or how I feel. I think the people who are arguing "it's not a flop guys" are wasting their time because "flop" doesn't mean what they think it does in the way it's being used.

Edited by lab276

I don't think Jurassic World and not even Furious 7 is quite guaranteed

Okay, how about 3 100% guaranteed and 2 95%? :P

FF6 was so close to $100m that I honestly can't see how F7 will do less.

As for Jurassic World - Godzilla opened to $93.2m so there's no way JW will get under $100m, given how much more popular it is.

• Like 1

noun: flop; plural noun: flops

a heavy, loose, and ungainly movement, or a sound made by it.

"they hit the ground with a flop"

informal

a total failure.

"the play had been a flop"

synonyms: failure, disaster, debacle, catastrophe, loser, loss-maker; More

Misuse of the word, no matter how wide spread doesn't change the current definition. MJ1 isn't a flop because it isn't a disaster, loss maker, failure, debacle etc.

The number is lower than expectations so it can be seen as a disappointing it didn't live up to it's potential but financially it's still a huge success.

I mean if it's not #1 it's pretty much last

Is It? I've always heard that they didn't want to be a state

In 2012 they voted in a non-binding referendum to support becoming a state.

Because it was non-binding, and because the referendum had a weird two-layer structure, nothing has come of it

Puerto Rican voters were asked two questions: (1) whether they agreed to continue with Puerto Rico's territorial status and (2) to indicate the political status they preferred from three possibilities: statehood, independence, or a sovereign nation in free association with the United States. 970,910 (54.00%) voted "No" on the first question, expressing themselves against maintaining the current political status, and 828,077 (46.00%) voted "Yes", to maintain the current political status. Of those who answered on the second question 834,191 (61.11%) chose statehood, 454,768 (33.34%) chose free association, and 74,895 (5.55%) chose independence.
  • Like 1

Okay, how about 3 100% guaranteed and 2 95%? :P

FF6 was so close to $100m that I honestly can't see how F7 will do less.

As for Jurassic World - Godzilla opened to $93.2m so there's no way JW will get under $100m, given how much more popular it is.

Fair point about Godzilla but I'm still skeptical about that one. I agree about Fast 7 though, it's pretty much there but there are things that can happen that might knock it downa slight peg

Baumer, 125 is big but it is a disappointing number for a franchise which is coming off a critical and box office reception high in both cases it dropped considerably. In reviews it dropped 20 % and in box office it dropped 30 million on ow just a year after the highly acclaimed and well recieved cf. There is no two ways about it that if you look at it as a standalone it's good with ok reviews but as a franchisee it's a disappointing that it's even lower than the first movie which was a unknown to many movie goers and had less theaters than this

This Does justify a concern and a question that needs to be asked: what went wrong

• Like 1

Fair point about Godzilla but I'm still skeptical about that one. I agree about Fast 7 though, it's pretty much there but there are things that can happen that might knock it downa slight peg

I do realise that I was bending the term 'guaranteed', as two of the films aren't quite there. The other 3 will open so far above $100m that any issues they run into will keep them above $100m, which isn't the case with JW and F7. I just put them there because they are more likely to do it than to not :)

• Like 1

There is no way Fast 7 opens below 100 million if the last film did 117 million in 4 days. 

It opened during Memorial Day Weekend with a very soft sunday drop.

This time, it won't have that incentive.  It is still likely to open above $100m but there is absolutely no guarantee as it opens in April versus Memorial Day weekend.

Edited by Ent