kayumanggi

THURSDAY NUMBERS | 11.27.2014

Honestly, I'm worried about December being overcrowded (as far as family releases go). 

Part of me wishes Home was canned and Penguins stayed in March 2015. Annie moves back to Thanksgiving. Night at the Museum 3 moves to MLK weekend. Paddington moves back to December (reviews indicate Weinstein could have gotten it some solid legs).

And Interstellar starts its release on October 31st.

October 31st

1. Interstellar
  2. Nightcrawlers 
  3. Before I Go to Sleep 

November 7th 

1. Big Hero 6
  2. Birdman (wide release) 

November 14th

1. Dumb and Dumber To 
  2. Beyond the Lights 

November 21st 

1. Mockingjay Part 1 
  2. The Theory of Everything (wide release) 

November 26th

1. Annie
  2. Exodus: Gods and Kings

December 5th

1. The Pyramid
  2. Top Five

December 12th 

1. Night at the Museum 3 
  2. The Imitation Game (wide release) 

December 17th 

1. The Hobbit 3
  2. Paddington 
  3. Wild (wide release) 

December 25th

1. Unbroken
  2. Into the Woods 
  3. The Interview 

January 2nd 

1. Inherent Vice (wide release) 
  2. The Woman in Black 2 

January 9th

1. Taken 3 
  2. Selma (wide release)

January 16th 

1. American Sniper (wide release)
  2. Strange Magic 
  3. The Wedding Ringer

January 23rd

1. Blackhat 
  2. Mortdecai

January 30th

1. Max
  2. Black or White

February 6th

1. Jupiter Ascending 
  2. SpongeBob 2

February 13th

1. 50 Shades of Grey
  2. Kingsman: The Secret Service
  3. The Boy Next Door 
  4. Focus 

February 20th 

1. Hot Tub Time Machine 2
  2. McFarland, USA
  3. Project Almanac 

February 27th 

1. Little Boy
  2. Jane Got a Gun 
  3. Lazarus 

Late 2014/early 2015 just feels a little congested. I'd dump Seventh Son on April 24th to give it a chance at an OW above $15 million...  :lol: those legs getting hacked by Avengers 2 though 

• Like 1

Tammy did 85M. Are you simply considering that underwhelming compared to previous McCarthy offerings?

Identity Thief - $135 million 

The Heat - $160 million 

Bridesmaids - $170 million 

Yeah, Tammy's pretty underwhelming. 

$85 million is pretty average for a summer comedy. In order for me to consider it a big hit, $120 million+ would be needed.

It really makes me think Spy will do $90-95 million - although opening right after Pitch Perfect 2 won't help it bring in the female demo. 

Night at the Museum has moved up to being something that's on my kids' radar screens at this point (though its the first choice of neither.  The older one dies a little each day that Hobbit hasn't been released yet while the younger one has been singing Annie songs for weeks now), a spot previously held by Penguins.  I thought Penguins had the potential to do surprisingly well, but now that we've seen it I'm disappointed and the kids instantly forgot it ever existed. Frankly, the TV show was better.

It felt like they decided to make half the jokes funny to grown-ups (and completely go over the kids' heads) and half funny to the kids (which generally meant a character doing something silly or cute, and often in a way that conflicted with the plot or how you'd have expected that character to act, thus annoying the adults), so virtually every joke flopped with half the audience.  There were some genuinely funny parts, almost all of which were in the trailer (though I'll admit they were generally funnier in the movie itself).  It almost felt like part of the movie was written by someone who was actually good, and the rest was done by whatever hack was available.

So, its not bad in a blatantly kid-pandering kind of way like the Chipmunk movies all were, which can result in single digit RT% yet still be huge box-office hits.  I mean, it just wasn't very good and I'm now finally on board with everyone expecting it to under perform.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 3

$82 million isn't huge, but yes LBC was successful  :)

But Tammy, Million Ways, Blended, Think Like a Man Too and Sex Tape all did fairly bad or underwhelming. 

Next summer seems pretty well-rounded for comedies. Other than the Witherspoon/Vergara one and possibly Grimsby, I don't see any of them being extreme disappointments at the BO. 

Tammy had a poor OW but it had good legs and still made money because it had a lower budget (around $20M) so while it had a disappointing run considering past Melissa movies it did fine compared to sex tape and blended

You forgot Ride Along which did really well 

• Like 1

I think Big Hero 6 is too strong for the Penguins to break out. I didn't expect to do this poorly. I think it still has a shot to crawl to 100M like Rise of the Guardians

Edited by forg
  • Like 1

Nothing wrong with Empire's prediction. Everyone over-predicts once and a while, after all we can't see into the future.[/quote

I'm convinced that Supes can actually. Every time he shows up with some bold crazy he turns out to be right. ( he called Lucy, he called Ninja Turtles, he called Interstellar, if you ignore the fact that he was with me in the Apes over 300M boat he's made a lot of really good calls this year)

Nothing wrong with Empire's prediction. Everyone over-predicts once and a while, after all we can't see into the future.

There are those rare cases where you can smell a stench on a film from a while out.

HB2 is not a rare case, though. The picture looked clearer starting a few weeks ago.

Edited by Jay Beezy

There are those rare cases where you can smell a stench on a film from a while out.

HB2 is not a rare case, though. The picture looked clearer starting a few weeks ago.

It was pretty much a given that HB2 was going to decrease from it's predecessor. How much was the question. Now we have a better idea, and it's going to decrease considerably from the first.

• Like 1