Olive

Official Weekend Est: MJ1 56.9M Penguins 25.8m BH6 18.77m Interstellar 15.8M

The animated film market is definitely going to be an interesting thing to watch in the next couple of years. Every studio seems to want 2-3 films a year as was mentioned earlier.

Obviously WDA and Pixar are in the best shape, mainly WDA. Pixar will probably be able to get Inside Out/Good Dinosaur above or around $250 million assuming the quality is there. Minions should also do well, I'm not going to call it a shoe-in for $200 million, but as far as the "funny side-character spin-offs" go, Minions will probably do way more than Puss in Boots and Penguins. It also helps that Universal is putting it out while Despicable Me is in, and not 10 years later after the franchise's peak is long gone. 

The way I see it though, as saturated as the market is right now, the only animated films that have shots at doing $300 million or more will be the Disney musicals (so Moana being the next) and probably the next Despicable Me depending on quality. It'd be wrong to count out Finding Dory and Toy Story 4 but those films have a lot to live up to.

• Like 2

the only animated films that have shots at doing $300 million or more will be the Disney musicals (so Moana being the next) and probably the next Despicable Me depending on quality. It'd be wrong to count out Finding Dory and Toy Story 4 but those films have a lot to live up to.

the avatar sequels might be able to eke out 300 too

• Like 9

The animated film market is definitely going to be an interesting thing to watch in the next couple of years. Every studio seems to want 2-3 films a year as was mentioned earlier.

Obviously WDA and Pixar are in the best shape, mainly WDA. Pixar will probably be able to get Inside Out/Good Dinosaur above or around $250 million assuming the quality is there. Minions should also do well, I'm not going to call it a shoe-in for $200 million, but as far as the "funny side-character spin-offs" go, Minions will probably do way more than Puss in Boots and Penguins. It also helps that Universal is putting it out while Despicable Me is in, and not 10 years later after the franchise's peak is long gone. 

The way I see it though, as saturated as the market is right now, the only animated films that have shots at doing $300 million or more will be the Disney musicals (so Moana being the next) and probably the next Despicable Me depending on quality. It'd be wrong to count out Finding Dory and Toy Story 4 but those films have a lot to live up to.

Are you saying that Finding Dory won't gross 300M, LOL. I.can't see it doing less than 400M

If TS4 and Dory have a lot to live up to then no way is Moana doing 300M.

I'm not the one who just made a completely insane statement.

Don't talk to adults that way, young man.

If TS4 and Dory have a lot to live up to then no way is Moana doing 300M.

Moana has a better chance at fulfilling expectations than those two do, IMO. Plus you are also comparing sequels to original ideas, it's pretty much a different ballgame. 

Don't they come out different times of the year?

Yes. I believe Moana comes out in March (Being released in that month, I can see it getting pass 200 million but not 300), Dory comes out in Summer (should do fairly well regardless of quality), and TS4 may come out in 2017 or 2018 (should also do incredibly well too).

Yes. I believe Moana comes out in March (Being released in that month, I can see it getting pass 200 million but not 300), Dory comes out in Summer (should do fairly well regardless of quality), and TS4 may come out in 2017 or 2018 (should also do incredibly well too).

TS4 is set for June 2017.

• Like 1

No Moana comes oyt in November ( Disney has Zootopia coming out in March)

• Like 1

Are you saying that Finding Dory won't gross 300M, LOL. I.can't see it doing less than 400M

I'd be surprised if it misses 300, but I won't be surprised if it misses Nemo's first run gross of 339m. I don't see that movie being the event it once could have been, and I think it will need to rely more on WOM than a lot of people are expecting.

• Like 1