Olive

Official Weekend Est: MJ1 56.9M Penguins 25.8m BH6 18.77m Interstellar 15.8M

Aside from Home needing more time for story fixes, I'm sure that's why PoM was moved up because DWA really needs a shot in the arm (especially while shopping for a buyer) after HTTYD 2 proved to merely be a huge hit (WW) instead of the billion-dollar mega-blockbuster they had expected. This is bad.... :unsure: 

You might be right, but on the other hand it probably isn't performing this badly just because of its release date, as Thanksgiving is typically a fine release date for animated features and family movies.

Actually, I wonder if given the benefit of hindsight, Disney might be kicking themselves for not going head-to-head against PoM with Big Hero 6. PoM would have been clobbered, and while this would have placed Big Hero 6 closer to the other competition in December, there would still be a cushion and the movie could have taken better advantage of the holidays.

Thanksgiving traditionally has been a great slot for Disney/Pixar films although the weekend of November has been good as well but then they have their fair share of flops in that slot e.g. Rescuers Down Under and Treasure Planet but for DWA, the first weekend of November tends to work better for them than Thanksgiving. 

Aside from 2016, it looks like DWA is opting for December for their fall  films which means that the competition might be able to grab a November release date. Blue Sky has Peanuts in 2016 while Illumination has the Grinch although I wouldn't be surprised if they move the Grinch up a week to avoid being hit by Justice League.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 2

That is a sexy number for Interstellar. Could do $16 million for the weekend and hopefully make it to $175-180 million. Exodus and Hobbit will do doubt hurt it but right after hopefully whatever theaters are still playing it will give it a good holiday boost.

Great Friday for MJ1, better than CF coming off a better Thursday hold than CF too. Has continued to prove people wrong all week with several better holds than CF. Same Sat/Sun holds as CF put it at 58m, and -52.4%. I say it's still in the race for #1, though just hanging on by the skin of its teeth.

IS hold is pretty amazing. Definitely called the legs wrong on that one. I guess Nolan truly is the king of WOM.

Penguins was such a non-event.

9 years too late. Animation from the last decade. A TV series that has run for 3 years+. 

Why would anyone feel any real need to watch this?

Dreamworks and JK shot themselves in the foot. 

• Like 3

I can't  imagine DWA ever intended Penguins to be an "event" or huge grosser DOM. If they ever expected more than Puss in Boots then they clearly are completely out of touch. 125-140m should have been the range all along. Granted, it probably won't hit the low end of that range either now, but it's certainly not some huge underperformer DOM the way Dragon 2 was. It's an OS franchise in the first place, and I'm sure it will be profitable WW. Which is far more than I can say for Home which I fully expect to pull worse numbers than Turbo DOM and OS. And KFP3 might tank worse than Penguins DOM in next Holiday's marketplace. Penguins is the least of their concerns right now.

I can't  imagine DWA ever intended Penguins to be an "event" or huge grosser DOM. If they ever expected more than Puss in Boots then they clearly are completely out of touch. 125-140m should have been the range all along. Granted, it probably won't hit the low end of that range either now, but it's certainly not some huge underperformer DOM the way Dragon 2 was. It's an OS franchise in the first place, and I'm sure it will be profitable WW. Which is far more than I can say for Home which I fully expect to pull worse numbers than Turbo DOM and OS. And KFP3 might tank worse than Penguins DOM in next Holiday's marketplace. Penguins is the least of their concerns right now.

Since they switched it to Thanksgiving I am sure they expected at least Puss in Boots numbers.

• Like 1

Since they switched it to Thanksgiving I am sure they expected at least Puss in Boots numbers.

Then they're idiots. Shrek is a way bigger franchise, and Puss in Boots is a more known and popular character than the Penguins. There's no equation that adds up to Penguins being more successful, unless it had killer WOM or something.

$35-38m opening is still pretty bad for a DWA film, it's only a tad more than what Guardians and Turbo did and those weren't established unlike Penguins. OS will help but the competition from Annie and NATM3 is going to eat into its legs.

$35-38m opening is still pretty bad for a DWA film, it's only a tad more than what Guardians and Turbo did and those weren't established unlike Penguins. OS will help but the competition from Annie and NATM3 is going to eat into its legs.

It's not good for sure, but even if it only does Guardian numbers DOM, it's still nowhere near the underperformer of something like Dragon. It missed the floor of what it's expected range should have been by about 20m. Dragon missed the floor of its expected range by damn near 150m.

Penguins was such a non-event.

9 years too late. Animation from the last decade. A TV series that has run for 3 years+. 

Why would anyone feel any real need to watch this?

Dreamworks and JK shot themselves in the foot. 

I'm just wondering... Dragon 2 had a TV series that ran for 2 years as well. Could it be that those bad TV series hurt the movie's run by turning people away?