A Marvel Fanboy

Dreamworks Animation: What Went Wrong?

Anyway, the announcement of a musical film makes me curious how Disney will respond. Will they do a musical for 2015 or something like Bolt/Wreck-It Ralph?

Probably depends what they have in development, I've noticed that a lot of the animation studios aren't afraid of doing a musical film anymore, we had Rio from Blue Sky and Lorax from Illumination so it was only a matter of time before Dreamworks did a musical film. Would love to see Pixar attempt one but it's not really their style.

The downside I do see is over saturation, which would hurt not only DWA but also the other high cost animation studios. Illumination and Blue Sky will be okay because their movies are cheap, but I doubt Pixar and Disney will be able to compete if their movies keep costing around $200m because it will be harder and harder to make that at the box office.

• Like 2

The downside I do see is over saturation, which would hurt not only DWA but also the other high cost animation studios. Illumination and Blue Sky will be okay because their movies are cheap, but I doubt Pixar and Disney will be able to compete if their movies keep costing around $200m because it will be harder and harder to make that at the box office.

I know Disney were trying to cut the costs of their live action films but it's going to be difficult for animated films but it's not a new problem as Sleeping Beauty was a lavish production that failed to make back its money so Walt Disney had to find cost cutting measure to continue producing animated films.I worry for Sony Pictures Animation as they've only had two hits but their films cost $100-110m.
  • Like 1

I don't like how they have two sequels in 2016, they should move Mumbai Musical into March, KFP3 into Summer and HTTYD3 into December 2015, if they must keep those dates.

I imagine HTTYD3 will be pushed back a year and KFP3 will be moved from March to Summer. A lot of these dates and films will probably change. I can't see Dreamworks releasing an animated movie just a month later.

I don't know about the future but it's never happened before even when they did three movies in one year (2010). The only movies were they lost money was when they partnered with Aardman.

Bee Movie and Antz didn't do particularly well, plus some of their early 2D toons were big-time bombs Edited by tribefan695

With all the movies DWA is about to make, maybe they can be the first one to produce a movie geared more to an older audience (rated R, with cursing, maybe violence with blood and guts, maybe a love scene if they're feeling frisky)... Use Guillermo del Toro to the fullest while you have him there! I'm sure it will be controversial at first and people will think, why would they do that, it will bomb because no kid can see it and few adults will want to see it because it's a cartoon.... But if they want to keep the marketplace unsaturated, might as well expand the medium so people stop saying animation is a genre, a kiddie genre! DWA can say, it's NOT a kiddie genre, here, check THIS out, then melt people's faces!!