A Marvel Fanboy

Dreamworks Animation: What Went Wrong?

POM is still doing money in cinemas so it should end up profitable in the long run ( TV deals, Blu-Ray, VOD ), still it's not what they wanted to achieve. 

+1

It is at $271M worldwide now. With about $6 to 7 M from domestic and another $80 to 90 Mil. from international, it should get to $360 to $370Mil WW. So it will end up doing better than its after release projections but below pre-release projections. 

Puss in boots did $554Mil WW and if DW honchos and Wall Street prognosticators expected around that for POM, one would have to question their sanity. Given that PIB did $149M domestic, $110M should have been the probable domestic total for POM. So it did under perform to the tune of $25 M domestic. Overseas total is just fine, unless some were expecting $400M ala PIB. That was never realistic to begin with.

• Like 1

Layoffs are coming to DreamWorks Animation — again — on the heels of the studio’s leadership shakeup this month and recent write-downs, including one analyst’s projected $49 million loss on spinoff film Penguins Of Madagascar. Roughly 250-300 DWA employees will be getting pink-slipped in the coming months, sources say.

The “compartmentalized” layoff notices started about a week ago, another source added. The plan is to let DWA people go in small waves with 60-day payouts.

Earlier this month, Chief Creative Officer Bill Damaschke stepped down as veteran producers Bonnie Arnold and Mireille Soria were named Co-Presidents of Feature Animation of the struggling animation studio.

Despite hits from the How To Train Your Dragon and Madagascar animated franchises, the Glendale-based studio has struggled to consistently create winners at the box office during the past three years. Turbo, Rise Of The Guardians and Mr. Peabody & Sherman underperformed, and the publicly traded company’s stock has been punished on Wall Street as a result.

Mass layoffs similarly hit DWA in 2013 after distributor Fox delayed Mr. Peabody & Sherman to spring 2014 and Me & My Shadow, an animation planned for 2014 featuring the voices of Kate Hudson, Josh Gad and Bill Hader, was taken off the schedule altogether and reverted into development.

http://deadline.com/2015/01/dreamworks-animation-layoffs-2015-1201353493/

Edited by Sir Tiki
  • Like 1

That stinks for DWA... and there were days where they made great films like Shrek 2 once...:(

And Josh Gad was supposed to star in Me and My Shadow?! I wanted to see it before, but now I have yet another reason to wish it wasn't put on the backbirner... though I probably wouldn't have been able to unhear Olaf. XD

• Like 1

And it's not going to get any better with the slate of films they have in production right now. I'd say cancel all of the non-sequel projects up to and including Captain Underpants, but I have no idea how much money they've already spent on them.

It's really a mess. How to Train Your Dragon 3 is the next film I have any genuine interest in, and that's in 2017. That's the one film I am praying does not become a casualty of all this. (Bonnie Arnold being promoted gives me confidence she'll keep her movie on the slate, as does the fact that HTTYD2 was one of only two movies in the last two years not to lose money.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

No way does HTTYD3 get canned. 2 was a bit disappointing, but still profitable, and they need all the franchise money they can get right now. 

I fully expect we'll never see Boss Baby, though. I can't imagine what they were thinking when they greenlit it,

• Like 1

Domestically, Penguins has grossed about $59 million in its first three weeks. Both analysts now anticipate that it will wind up generating $75 million. That’s down from Mogil’s previous estimate for $110 million. Wold originally expected $200M, which he reduced after it opened to a range that went as low as $130 million.

Overseas sales at $116 million also look disappointing, although the film has yet to open in large markets including France, Mexico, South Korea, Australia, and Brazil. Mogil cut his international forecast to $250 million from $300 million. Wold took his prediction down to $200 million from $350 million.

The article is a hit piece with partial truths. Rumored layoffs may be be true due to DWA less than stellar performance over the last few years.

But the $49 Million loss of Penguins of Madagascar is a laughable projection to hang on to now. As of December 15, it was based on a worldwide projected final gross of $275M by the analyst (Dom. $75M and Overseas $200M).

The world wide gross has already surpassed the number by $30M. (WW Gross $306M as of Jan 19). It is likely to add close to another $50M world wide.

So the movie will likely end up with $80M more than projected total of the analyst and this stupid article still refers to the loss based on the projected final total that already been surpassed by a good margin. 

Reliance on facts and basic common sense would go a long way in helping the author of this article look like he knows something about what he is writing.

P.S.: Based on their original expectation of $200M domestic for POM, I have serious doubts about these analysts capabilities in projecting anything realistically. Heck 90% of BOT forum members would have pegged it around $120M or lower. These wall street types need serious reality check regarding their movie potential analysis.

Edited by jb007
  • Like 2

And it's not going to get any better with the slate of films they have in production right now. I'd say cancel all of the non-sequel projects up to and including Captain Underpants, but I have no idea how much money they've already spent on them.

It's really a mess. How to Train Your Dragon 3 is the next film I have any genuine interest in, and that's in 2017. That's the one film I am praying does not become a casualty of all this. (Bonnie Arnold being promoted gives me confidence she'll keep her movie on the slate, as does the fact that HTTYD2 was one of only two movies in the last two years not to lose money.)

I think HTTYD3 and KFP3 are safe and probably Trolls as well. I'm unsure about the rest though. 

Home needs to perform well or I think we'll likely more layoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if they close one of their studios. Given this is the third layoff in two years, it's not a good sign for DWA and Katzenberg, he's lucky that the shareholders haven't decided to give him the boot.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

I just hope KFP3 doesnt get shelved. It's the one DWA movie at the moment I'm REALLY looking forward to. (I loved the first HTTYD but didn't like the second).

It's probably in post-production already or close. They just moved it back a few months to get it out from under the buzz saw of Star Wars and have a chance of making money. 

Plus, it's also likely the close to the trilogy like HTTYD 3. 

• Like 1

It's probably in post-production already or close. They just moved it back a few months to get it out from under the buzz saw of Star Wars and have a chance of making money.

Plus, it's also likely the close to the trilogy like HTTYD 3.

I heard at one point they were thinking of making 6 KFP movies, but at this point they'll probably just go with three. It would be better for the brand (and at this rate I'm beginning to doubt that DWA could properly last up to then.)

I think HTTYD3 and KFP3 are safe and probably Trolls as well. I'm unsure about the rest though. 

Home needs to perform well or I think we'll likely more layoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if they close one of their studios. Given this is the third layoff in two years, it's not a good sign for DWA and Katzenberg, he's lucky that the shareholders haven't decided to give him the boot.

God, Home looks dreadful. I wonder whether Katzenberg really cares about the survival of his studio or if he's just looking to cut his losses until he sells.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 3

I fully expect we'll never see Boss Baby, though. I can't imagine what they were thinking when they greenlit it,

They were thinking: "That Beck Bennett sketch is funny (though not really) and popular so let's make a movie about it."

(I have no idea what the movie is/was(hopefully) supposed to be about btw)

• Like 1

My god, we are witnessing DWA self destructing before our eyes.

Karma for the Shrek movies mocking Disney? Payback's a BITCH! :ph34r:

More like karma for bombarding people with mostly mediocre-quality films three times a year. It definitely isn't because of one of their stronger and highest grossing series.

• Like 2

They were thinking: "That Beck Bennett sketch is funny (though not really) and popular so let's make a movie about it."

(I have no idea what the movie is/was(hopefully) supposed to be about btw)

I think it's based on a near-plotless children's book. And by children's book, I mean one of those cardboard board books for toddlers. 

• Like 1