grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

31 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

WB shouldn't have released this, Tomb Raider, and Rampage in a six week span. RPO definitely feels like the causality out of the three.

I imagine it'll still open at number 1, at worse, it's probably going to be a BR2049 type run. 

46 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

WB shouldn't have released this, Tomb Raider, and Rampage in a six week span. RPO definitely feels like the causality out of the three.

They should have swapped Rampage and RPO's release dates. Rampage should get the spring break slot, it has far more appeal. 

Edited by MovieMan89

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Kinda like Valerian?

:qotd:

This really better have amazing reviews or it is so SOL at the box office. 

The Martian had a similar runtime as well and that was a hit so not all doom and gloom.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Telehilation said:

Yes, the whole collection is what inspired my post. :lol: 

ok, was just making sure you weren't just going after the one poster :P

i like some of them, but I get what you mean ;) 

One more thing I’ll say about this movie: if it ends up being done poorly, the guys over at Red Letter Media are going to have a field day making fun of the movie for its blatant amounts of geeky fanservice. Then again, they’ll probably do that even if the movie ends up being well liked. 

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

One more thing I’ll say about this movie: if it ends up being done poorly, the guys over at Red Letter Media are going to have a field day making fun of the movie for its blatant amounts of geeky fanservice. Then again, they’ll probably do that even if the movie ends up being well liked. 

this movie could invite repeat viewings due to the easter egg hunting that geeks would do, even if it's a decent film and nothing great. i feel it would have made a great release for father's day due to the 70-80s tribute but that falls in the 2nd weekend of JW2.

It's quite the letdown that the marketing didn't quite make use of VR (based on the movie's premise) and try to make the Oasis some kind of a worldwide one-off experience (in partnership with Nintendo or Microsoft for exemple) to bring in gamers and non-gamers into the movie's universe using VR, augmented reality, smartphone/tablets etc. in an immersive tie-in game to boost awareness around the movie.

Maybe have the main characters be users you encounter within the promotional game which final stage contains an enigma that only get resolved after watching the actual movie in theaters, whatever, something involving that draws you in beyond seeing a CG Delorean racing with Mario Kart. It's like the movie is stuck in the nineties in every way, especially marketing wise when it should have took the "What Is The Matrix?" marketing approach and boost it ten folds to fit 2018 technology standards.

(I know it must cost gazillions of dollars to get all those IP's in a single interactive app/game instead of a cameo in a movie but still).

I feel like with the customizing mods culture, MMORPG, games like Rocket League, Kingdom Hearts, Disney Infinity etc. (What marketing gurus call "synergy"), that had potential to be more than this on a larger scale and RPO is wasting it.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

It's quite the letdown that the marketing didn't quite make use of VR (based on the movie's premise) and try to make the Oasis some kind of a worldwide one-off experience to bring in gamers and non-gamers into the movie's universe using VR, augmented reality, smartphone/tablets etc. in an immersive tie-in game to boost awareness around the movie.

Maybe have the main characters be users you encounter within the promotional game which final stage contains an enigma that only get resolved after watching the actual movie in theaters. It's like the movie is stuck in the nineties in every way, especially marketing wise when it should have took the "What Is The Matrix?" marketing approach and boost it ten folds to fit 2018 technology standards.

(I know it must cost gazillions of dollars to get all those IP's in own interactive app/game instead of a cameo in a movie but still).

I feel like with the customizing mods culture and MMORPG, that had potential to be more than this on a larger scale and RPO is wasting it.

yeah they had a VR tie-in but it was nowhere near promotoed or available to everyone.  Or if it is, they didn't really tell anyone about it :P

I agree it was an easy thing to do, then even did it for IT last year, so they did drop the ball on that part