grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

70s would be solid, I wasn’t expecting the next Jurassic Park but it seems Spielberg has made a crowd pleaser. The fact WB has reviews for RPO before Tomb Raider shows which movie they more confident with

Good reviews can only help it at the box office. I can imagine the film doesn't cost THAT much either (say around 130m or something). Spielberg is part of the older guard, and knows how to keep a film done on time, and on budget. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

The Spielberg that always carried a copy of Variety to check out the box office and getting mocked for it by his peers (Coppola, De Palma probably ...) is sadly gone.

Now he has become an egotistical filmmaker, which in terms of critics/cinephiles lingo means you can call him an :

ARTIST 

People tend to forget Spielberg was like the MCU/Superhero genre of its time (70's/80's), enjoyed but not respected that much.

He had to make a certain type of movies to earn the respect of a certain type of people.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Edited by The Futurist

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

The Spielberg that always carried a copy of Variety to check out the box office and getting mocked for it by his peers (Coppola, De Palma probably ...) is sadly gone.

That sound speculation all around, why would be making a movie like RPO and Indiana Jones 5 ? Why everyone that work with him talk about how much commercial success and profitability is a point of conversation when making the movie.

The guy is 70, it would be a bit pathetic if he was still doing only movie that appeal to kids, but he is still very much a business men running a studio and with the audience very much in mind for everything that goes into is movies imo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The Variety thing is a true anecdote you can find in a very famous book about the new Hollywood.

The part about Coppola/Palma mocking him and the part about him not caring about audience when making is movies that sound like pure speculation that does not match what he does at all.

I would not even be surprised if he play is movies in focus group test screening.

Just now, Barnack said:

The part about Coppola/Palma mocking him and the part about him not caring about audience when making is movies that sound like pure speculation that does not match what he does at all.

I would not even be surprised if he play is movies in focus group test screening.

Nuance Friend.

Obviously I am not saying "not caring at all", I am saying caring less and it shows in the subject matter of his recent movies.

Sure I speculate and talk out of my ass, I am not in the Berg s head.

Well will see while watching Ready Player One if you have a strong case (versus say is Minority Report movie), he always bring some extra cheese and ultra obvious crowd pleasing moment in pretty much all is recent movies imo.

Edited by Barnack

We're not trying to make sweeping judgements about the RT score after

*checks*

13 reviews, are we?

Maaaaaybe we should wait until there are at least, I dunno, 40 or 50 reviews before saying it'll get a rotten or fresh rating?

(FTR: 69% 5.3/10)

I suspect there are a couple of really poor reviews dragging the x/10 score down.  Not hard with only 13 reviews.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Porthos said:

We're not trying to make sweeping judgements about the RT score after

*checks*

13 reviews, are we?

Maaaaaybe we should wait until there are at least, I dunno, 40 or 50 reviews before saying it'll get a rotten or fresh rating?

(FTR: 69% 5.3/10)

I suspect there are a couple of really poor reviews dragging the x/10 score down.  Not hard with only 13 reviews.

I've always said this, besides not bringing up RT at all :P 

but yeah I almost wish they wouldn't even show reviews or the useless percentage until at least some minimum like 50 or whatever. At least they you get some "real" idea of how it may or may not go.

1 minute ago, 75Live said:

but yeah I almost wish they wouldn't even show reviews or the useless percentage until at least some minimum like 50 or whatever.

They could even make an event out of it, say a streaming show were after waiting for enough reviews they reveal the score.

We should contact them with this idea.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Barnack said:

They could even make an event out of it, say a streaming show were after waiting for enough reviews they reveal the score.

We should contact them with this idea.

totally agree. I like that idea :) 

:P 

Edited by 75Live

Just now, tribefan695 said:

It doesn't take a whole lot of reviews to get a pretty good idea of what the range will be average-rating wise. At the very least, I think it can be stated at this point that it isn't going to win anyone over who was ready to hate it.

Except we've already got reports from skeptical people last night who thought they wouldn't like it and ended up saying it was good.

Now I'm not denying that it'll probably turn out to be marmite, but it does appear to be able to win over some skeptics.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Except we've already got reports from skeptical people last night who thought they wouldn't like it and ended up saying it was good.

Now I'm not denying that it'll probably turn out to be marmite, but it does appear to be able to win over some skeptics.

Eh, forgive me if I'm done taking social media reactions as any sort of illuminating evidence on what a general consensus will be. They only serve to be misleading.

Or at least if I take the seven reputable sources affecting that average rating a lot more seriously. 

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

That average rating could sure use some work. A 5.3 for a movie that’s currently rated “fresh” just doesn’t look right. 

That's what happens when all of the rottens offer their ratings and barely half of the fresh ones do lmao

• Haha 1