grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

35 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Alright, I jumped the gun a bit with the earlier lousy reviews. It does only seem as good as it does now though because of the upward trend. Really not far removed from Spielberg's other recent "movies" that aren't "films".

I mean it's still pretty early in reviews. 6.4 isn't a great average rating less than 30 reviews in, but it's probably going to remain fresh. 

34 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I mean it's still pretty early in reviews. 6.4 isn't a great average rating less than 30 reviews in, but it's probably going to remain fresh. 

The movie's had a pretty unlucky start with the average rating considering all 5 negative reviews included a rating while only 8 out of the 18 positive didn't. It's pretty split down the middle for that very reason.

29 minutes ago, Lucas said:

The movie's had a pretty unlucky start with the average rating considering all 5 negative reviews included a rating while only 8 out of the 18 positive didn't. It's pretty split down the middle for that very reason.

Metacritic is only 64 though. It's likely not going to improve that much.

Edited by cookie

4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

64 on MetaCritic ain't exactly weak, Deadpool's at 65.

Deadpool has a 6.5 top critic average. That's where I think RPO is landing.

Edited by cookie

6 minutes ago, cookie said:

Deadpool has a 6.5 top critic average. That's where I think RPO is landing.

Which wouldn't be a weak place to end up. Hell if the RT and MC score is identical to Deadpool, it will have done pretty damn well. Above expectations.

7 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Which wouldn't be a weak place to end up. Hell if the RT and MC score is identical to Deadpool, it will have done pretty damn well. Above expectations.

I didn't say it was weak, I said the average was unlikely to improve that much from its current standing (which is 6.4). Mid-6s is ain't bad at all.

Edited by cookie

2 minutes ago, cookie said:

I didn't say it was weak, I said the average was unlikely to improve that much from its current standing (which is 6.4). Mid-6s ain't nothing to be ashamed of.

There's a difference between top critics and all the critics though. It is unlikely to improve much, but you can't exactly use Deadpool's top critics average as an example when judging all critics, the average rating usually varies quite a bit between the two.

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

The Post started at 44%, the initial reviews were a bunch of negatives. Then it went up all the way to 88.

With 23 reviews it could go either way, but I think RPO will go up. Some people just really wanted to get the negative reviews in first.

Edit: I just looked on RT, It's funny that the big outlets gave positive reviews to RPO, whereas the negative reviews are from a bunch of nobodies.

Edited by HockeyPads

2 hours ago, Treetanic said:

Oh. Guess I have a short memory, I thought it got pretty mixed reviews from critics. Disney must have paid them off.

Lol Disney 😂😂😂😂. Please do more research. 

8 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

It is doing pretty well on Pulse two weeks in advance. The SXSW thing (as well as the good reviews) definitely seems to have worked.

RPO might not be the flop I predicted. :jeb!:

I think it's going to closer to $50m than the $35m for current tracking. 

I don't know. I love Spielberg as much as anyone but I finally saw the new trailer in front of TOMB RAIDER tonight and it just looks like another one of those movies with wayyyyy too much CGI. I just couldn't get into it at all. Plus, the concept just isn't hooking me.

I've been seeing a lot of movies lately (thank God for my new, much more...financially rewarding job!!) but I think I'll skip this one.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I don't know. I love Spielberg as much as anyone but I finally saw the new trailer in front of TOMB RAIDER tonight and it just looks like another one of those movies with wayyyyy too much CGI. I just couldn't get into it at all. Plus, the concept just isn't hooking me.

I've been seeing a lot of movies lately (thank God for my new, much more...financially rewarding job!!) but I think I'll skip this one.

But how will you make a virtual reality inside the movie without CGI? That's basically the whole concept of this movie.

It's certainly an... Interesting concept.