grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

57 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

That is some straight up garbage. 

Hide contents

Bard Bird crafted Iron Giant as a beautiful movie centered around anti-violence and anti-gun themes.  For the Iron Giant to just be another random weapon completely disrespects the original movie and its creative team. 

Spoiler

I think there's def something to be said about fans using properties like this in an antithetical way but Spielberg obviously doesn't go there as it'd add too many shades of grey to the main leads. It is established early on that Aech is trying to build an Iron Giant as a commission - it's not even for her. So I guess Spielberg/Cline are at fault for just having an excuse for it to kick ass in the third act battle.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, John Marston said:

The embargo has already dropped. Otherwise sites like Variety and Hollywood Repirter wouldn’t have reviewed it yet. What they mean is there will be more screenings 

I know for a fact UK writers are embargoed from full reviews until tonight which is when the London premiere/press screening is. Those who saw it at SXSW or other press screenings outside the UK are fine.

7 hours ago, antovolk said:

well Iron Giant is

Hide contents

not a character but a vehicle for Aech

I'm fine with this tbh. It's an avatar of the Iron Giant, I feel like some people are just trying to find things to get angry about.

Edited by HockeyPads
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, antovolk said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The Iron Giant is a replacement for Ultraman and I assume Brad Bird would have been asked permission even though it's owned by WB and he was okay with it.

Edited by Jonwo

5 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Now that the movie is at 81% with a 6.6 average rating, is it a safe bet to assume that it won’t drop below 60%?

I imagine it'll be in the high 70s, I wouldn't be shocked if it's certified fresh much like Tintin and The BFG.

4 hours ago, Lucas said:

I feel the vast majority of reviews I've seen now (including outside RT sources) are in the 4/5 area.

Flickering Myth were also positive but they've yet to post on RT.

Spoiler

The only reason I feel this should be a real issue is if it was meant to be the Iron Giant and not just a suit that looks like the Iron Giant. One of these things go against what the character represents and the other could actually provide a tiny bit of commentary on how shallow some fans are that they're more interested in seeing their favorite characters in action than they are caring about what the characters are all about. Of course I doubt that'll be a focus of the film, but you could do something with it.

That's just my piece on the Iron Giant thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lucas said:
  Hide contents

The only reason I feel this should be a real issue is if it was meant to be the Iron Giant and not just a suit that looks like the Iron Giant. One of these things go against what the character represents and the other could actually provide a tiny bit of commentary on how shallow some fans are that they're more interested in seeing their favorite characters in action than they are caring about what the characters are all about. Of course I doubt that'll be a focus of the film, but you could do something with it.

That's just my piece on the Iron Giant thing.

I'll add my coin to your take.

Using Iron Giant as an avatar like a Transformers, as if they were interchangeable, totally removed of its original substance is symptomatic of fanboys propension of sucking anything meaningful out of their favorite characters, reduced to a shell of their original conception without depth. The mere act of "featuring" is an instant gratification like senseless name-dropping, being a mere easter egg without context becomes the statement. "Name-dropping" without context becomes knowledge and power in RPO, not comprehending and analysing. It is stripped to the status of a toy performing childish rampage and crashing into another toy for the sake of it for derived pleasure. There's something to be said about male fan fiction fantasies being fodder to wage war and violence like

X vs Y vs Z in a loud pixel chaos for a playground. All those fictional universes being thrown into each other, of course, it can't be anything but violent brawls and perpetual chaos. Can't be creative and nurturing, can only destroy gleefully.

Someone like Paul Verhoeven would dig upon that interesting subtext, making the main character realizes that the OASIS creator was the product of this mentality, his virtual universe filled to the brim with his favourite items like a child's room but imbued with his personal flaws and defects as an adult, that he can turn things around to be less toxic and self-indulgent but Spielberg seems to be playing it straight on the surface level like Cline slapping random geek favourite IP's against each other in an Arcade Beat'em up because it's just "cool" and fits Cline's idea of "cool", nothing more. (The irony of having the bad guy be the one who wants to be a capitalist gatekeeper trying to cash on this mishmash of IP's in-game even though that's what this movie is doing: Cashing on senseless nostalgia by throwing random IP's together to suck you in the movie).

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 5

So which is it :

Do people give Spielberg great reviews because they have an incounscious Spielberg bias, they revere him so saying negative things his work is hard for them ?

Do people give Spielberg great reviews because Spielberg almost  only score home runs and his is better on average than the rest of the pack ?

Pick a side.

2 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Casual reminder that Bridge of Spies is kind of a masterpiece.

I rewatched it on Sunday. It's so good.

The plane crash scene is such a triumph. It's so well done. Just like the rest of the movie 👀

• Like 1

There s a plane crash scene in Bridge of Spies, :o?

Something actually happens in that movie ?

I must have been more sleepy then I thought watching it.

I am gonna try to watch Lincoln again, mayne I missed the scene where robots fight the US army in Downtown Chicago.

Edited by The Futurist

4 minutes ago, aabattery said:

The plane crash scene is such a triumph. It's so well done. Just like the rest of the movie 👀

Love the standing man scene. Rylance is amazing, and Hanks performance is really underrated too. Movie's a definite grower. I like it more and more each time I watch it.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, aabattery said:

such a triumph i still can't remember this plane crash scene you're talking about. actually, i don't recall any scene taking place in a plane or showing one.

4 hours ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Hopefully the reviews stay positive. Really don't understand people getting offended by this movie. 

I saw someone on Twitter compare it to the hate Twilight received, and the more I think about it, the more that rings true on multiple levels.

Edited by Porthos

Had literally anyone other than Spielberg made Bridge of Spies then there would have been countless articles etc about how brilliantly made it is. Because it's Spielberg it all gets taken for granted. Same thing happened with The Post (though that's nowhere near as good - but still excellent obviously). 

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Something actually happens in that movie ?

4 minutes ago, Goffe said:

such a triumph i still can't remember this plane crash scene you're talking about. actually, i don't recall any scene taking place in a plane or showing one.

Goffe, you just did a Futurist take.

Anywho, it's a better directed action setpiece than just about anything in the last few years. It kind of sneaks up on you but it's super intense. 

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Something actually happens n that movie ?

Something's always happening when Spielberg's using a camera, even when it's just two people talking :sparta:

This shot is probably one of the best introductions to a character and one of the best opening shots to a movie in years.

bridgeofspies_portrait.jpg

• Like 2