grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

Well this was an absolute blast from start to finish.I loved it.Spielberg once again is great and the way he builds the world is damn perfect.Story is great too and very well stractured.The characters could have used a bit more development but they are all likeable.Art3mis stole the show for me but the actors all made a very good job.Villain was ok i guess.Amazing Visuals(mind blowing stuff).And the biggest take away for me is that all the cameos and easter eggs are not there just to fill the screen (they could have easily got into that trap and overutilize the pop culture character).AND FREAKING IRON GIANT MAN...after all these years i still want more of him.

Do note,i have never read the book before.

Edited by TheDarkKnightOfSteel
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I think because of the genre there might be some front-loading during the 4-day ow but overall legs may be better than expected if it is such a blast for the GA. If it opens to 45 FSS, 20 + 15 (-25%) + 10 (-33%), then needs 2.8x to cross 125 dom.

5 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Well this was an absolute blast from start to finish.I loved it.Spielberg once again is great and the way he builds the world is damn perfect.Story is great too and very well stractured.The characters could have used a bit more development but they are all likeable.Art3mis stole the show for me but the actors all made a very good job.Villain was ok i guess.Amazing Visuals(mind blowing stuff).And the biggest take away for me is that all the cameos and easter eggs are not there just to fill the screen (they could have easily got into that trap and overutilize the pop culture character).AND FREAKING IRON GIANT MAN...after all these years i still want more of him.

Do note,i have never read the book before.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts man, it's really appreciated.

This movie is quickly becoming my most anticipated of the year until November.

Edited by Arlborn

4 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts man, it's really appreciated.

This movie is quickly becoming my most anticipated of the year until November.

What could possibly be coming out in November that would peak your attention :qotd:

received my EW in the mail today and it has Ready Player One on the cover and an article about it.  Not sure if I should read it as they tend to be spoilerish more often than not

16 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

82% on RT (7.2avg) with 55 reviews. Hopefully this ends the box office drought the last few weeks. 

Most reviews seem positive but a bit lukewarm about the movie. It's better than expected - good vs very good/excellent and such movies don't always have long legs though yeah it has little competition for a bit. 

WoM in China seems break out.After Beijing advanced screen tonight,Score on Douban is excellent.

5ab91cb12e522.jpg

But pre-sale is a bit low now.We have to wait for GA score.There will be another Screen in Shanghai tomorrow.And nationalwide preview at Thursday night for General Audience. I Hope RP1 do well in China.Qingming Festival is in 3 days.Holiday bonus in Asian region too

Edited by bangbingchan
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

#PoorTele

the rest of his review on letterboxd

it didn’t really work for me as spectacle (something like Sword Art Online mines similar terrain more successfully), but i dug it as a knotted meta-commentary about our relationship to the things we create / the paralyzing nature of nostalgia. only Spielberg could have made this, and it's mostly interesting only *because* Spielberg actually did.[/spoiler]

Ok, that actually sounds good.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Got to admit, this might be the best bit of marketing related to RPO so far.  And at THE exact right time.

Not sure what this is all about to be honest. How is this good marketing? I googled Carl Jr. and I guess it's a fast-food chain? This seems like a weird situation.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1