Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

11 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Scorching Take, read at your own risk :

Aliens made Ripley a movie legend.

As Carrie Henn would say.  Weren't you in Ghostbusters?

2 hours ago, The Dark Rock said:

Looks like the reviews will be even poor than Prometheus. Things doesn't look too good and we are looking at another mediocre passable Alien movie once again.

Prometheus suffered from Indiana Jones 4 syndrome - the "I wanted this movie to be great and IT WAS!!!!!.... was it?" denial syndrome. You will see that its overall response dropped drastically after release.

If "interstellar version of Friday The 13th not called Jason X" is what I can expect out of this, I'd take that without much thinking. That sounds pretty damn fun, honestly.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Nah it seems to be more of a crowd pleaser. No confusing sci-fi philosophy mumbo jumbo this time round. Not too long either. 

The Wrap review is exactly what I wanted "interstellar version of Friday the 13th".

So you're okay with Alien being reduced to a Friday the 13th type franchise, i.e. the lowest form of cinema?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Stingray said:

So you're okay with Alien being reduced to a Friday the 13th type franchise, i.e. the lowest form of cinema?

That's your opinion. 

@baumer please enlighten him. 

But yeh, I don't think Alien is being "reduced" to anything. It's a horror film in space. Nothing more. 

Prometheus tried to make it more than it was, and it backfired. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

A film has my undivided attention, every time. Even if it's a shite one (like Prometheus). 

I find this very hard to believe. Part of how I gauge how good a film is is how well it holds my attention.

Edited by tribefan695

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

That's you're opinion. 

@baumer please enlighten him. 

But yeh, I don't think Alien is being "reduced" to anything. It's a horror film in space. Nothing more. 

Prometheus tried to make it more than it was, and it backfired. 

At this point there's nothing left to do with Aliens.  It's all been done.  It's a basic concept.  Humans get chased and killed by a xenomorph.  It's the exact same concept as Friday the 13th.  So what more can be done?  We don't have Cameron to expand the universe anymore so what you're left with is the same tired concept.  So what it comes down to is whether or not you identify with the characters.  If the characters are well written, then the film will probably be a success....if they are more like they were in Prometheus, then the film will probably suck.

• Like 6