Surprised not a lot of people are talking about Cooties or Green Inferno for that matter. Sure they might not do well in the box office but limited horror movies seems the way to go these days. Are these 2 movies still coming out this year or were they pushed back?

We need another 'Scream'...not a sequel but a horror movie which gives the genre a much needed kick and connects with general audiences. No more found footage, its been milked to death.

The problem is pretty much every horror movie made and released into theaters this year were almost all hugely successful.  Yes, they might not have made the figures that a lot here would like, but when they all cost so very little, they all made money.   

Who is going to buck the trend of making small, cheap movies when you could make back your budget 2-3 times over?

Been a great year for horror IMO. It Follows one of the best I've seen in a long while, and The Visit was a pleasant surprise. Still got Green Inferno, The Witch, and Krampus to come. Most years there's only one or two horror films that interest me, sometimes none. This year there's a slew. 

As far as box office, all of the good ones have been indies, and not exactly greatly marketed indies, or, like It Follows, they're just weird enough or slow enough to not really catch on despite being great movies. The Witch will be another one of those. 

• Like 1

Been a great year for horror IMO. It Follows one of the best I've seen in a long while, and The Visit was a pleasant surprise. Still got Green Inferno, The Witch, and Krampus to come. Most years there's only one or two horror films that interest me, sometimes none. This year there's a slew. 

As far as box office, all of the good ones have been indies, and not exactly greatly marketed indies, or, like It Follows, they're just weird enough or slow enough to not really catch on despite being great movies. The Witch will be another one of those. 

The Witch comes out in January doesn't it?

The problem with horror now is that home video is dead.  That's where it made a lot of its money back.  So imo, you will never see a massively budgeted horror film again.  Not that they were spending 50 million on horror before but now you have micro budgets because they know that they need to make most of their money at the theater.  So found footage might go away soon but the micro budgets won't.

• Like 1

The Green Inferno will be lucky to earn around Cabin Fever's unadjusted domestic take. Solid for The Visit it could be the first and only horror film this year to earn between 55-60 million.

You dont think Paranormal Activity, Krampus or Crimson Peak could do it too?

Edited by babz06

Paranormal Activity will do 80 mill imo.  I think there will be a lot of interest in the final one.

Green Inferno will probably do less than 10 mill but hopefully will find an audience on HV.

The Visit will have a 3X.

• Like 1

Hoping for Crimson Peak to break out. Don't know how the movie will turn out, but the trailers sure make it look like a visual treat at the least. I don't see PA doing more than 60. I think most have officially moved on from that franchise. And they waited too long since PA4 to really capitalize on any remaining momentum to see the conclusion.

Has there been any marketing for Rings yet? I'm holding out hope for that to recapture some of the magic of the first, against all odds. Only two months from release though and it doesn't feel like it actually exists.