grim22

BOF's top 25 movies of 2014. Full list Page 5. The forum worships at the altar of Nolan.

Number 5

X-Men: Days of Future Past – 192 points, appears on 26 lists, #2 on 4 lists

t00ie7B.png

0ADi3FF.png

Into the top five we go with this time travel saga involving mutants. Days of future past took a franchise which had never gone above 400M at the WW box office and took it to three-quarters of a Billion. Bryan Singer returned to the franchise he helped make famous and gave us a gripping character drama which just happened to involve superheroes. Fassbender and McAvoy were both on top-form and Hugh Jackman was good as always in the role he could probably now play in his sleep. This was a return to form for a franchise which had seemed like it was past its peak. It also gave us what may have been the best scene of the year.

Boxoffice: 233M Domestic / 748M Worldwide

BOF User Reviews:

X-Men: Days of Future Past. I have not enjoyed a super-hero movie as much as this since Christopher Nolans the Dark Knight. This movie shines in a number of aspects in particularly some amazing action scenes, stellar visual effects, solid acting and a serviceable story. This is a crowd pleaser and you do not have to have seen any of the previous X-Men movies to enjoy it, although it does help some references.This is definitely the best X-Men movie and one of the best blockbusters of recent memory.

A” –  eXtacy

easily an A from me. My complaints are small, and the film as a whole was really solid! Quicksilver was by far the best part of it all, and the film got a little slow after his departure. It picked back up though and was really entertaining! The visuals were great, the acting superb... one of the best X-Men films, if not one of the better superhero films made within the decade.” – Kalderic

The biggest concern that I had going into this movie was how would the huge ensemble work on the screen. There was nothing to worry about. Focus is given where it should be: on the A-team, while some characters like Sunspot or Bishop were there without much explanation (it wasn't needed anyway) and without taking away valuable screen-time. Singer once again showed how he can handle the big cast, give everyone something to do and turn them into an advantage rather than some of them being an anchor to the plot, something he has lost since X2.

Another thing I loved was the pacing. Opening with a cool action scene to get us to know the new characters, to show the plot devices and to show how they work as a team, all in the first 10 minutes. Then we shift to the past and everything is perfectly built up for the final battle, both in the future and the past. I love it when films can do this (many directors try but fail) and this was one of those rare movies that made me care equally about the slow, character scenes and the action which was fantastic.

All in all, I'd say this is the best X-Men movie and in the top 5 of all the comic book movies

10/10” – Darkelf

Niiice. 

Number 5

X-Men: Days of Future Past – 192 points, appears on 26 lists, #2 on 4 lists

t00ie7B.png

0ADi3FF.png

Into the top five we go with this time travel saga involving mutants. Days of future past took a franchise which had never gone above 400M at the WW box office and took it to three-quarters of a Billion. Bryan Singer returned to the franchise he helped make famous and gave us a gripping character drama which just happened to involve superheroes. Fassbender and McAvoy were both on top-form and Hugh Jackman was good as always in the role he could probably now play in his sleep. This was a return to form for a franchise which had seemed like it was past its peak. It also gave us what may have been the best scene of the year.

Boxoffice: 233M Domestic / 748M Worldwide

BOF User Reviews:

X-Men: Days of Future Past. I have not enjoyed a super-hero movie as much as this since Christopher Nolans the Dark Knight. This movie shines in a number of aspects in particularly some amazing action scenes, stellar visual effects, solid acting and a serviceable story. This is a crowd pleaser and you do not have to have seen any of the previous X-Men movies to enjoy it, although it does help some references.This is definitely the best X-Men movie and one of the best blockbusters of recent memory.

A” –  eXtacy

easily an A from me. My complaints are small, and the film as a whole was really solid! Quicksilver was by far the best part of it all, and the film got a little slow after his departure. It picked back up though and was really entertaining! The visuals were great, the acting superb... one of the best X-Men films, if not one of the better superhero films made within the decade.” – Kalderic

The biggest concern that I had going into this movie was how would the huge ensemble work on the screen. There was nothing to worry about. Focus is given where it should be: on the A-team, while some characters like Sunspot or Bishop were there without much explanation (it wasn't needed anyway) and without taking away valuable screen-time. Singer once again showed how he can handle the big cast, give everyone something to do and turn them into an advantage rather than some of them being an anchor to the plot, something he has lost since X2.

Another thing I loved was the pacing. Opening with a cool action scene to get us to know the new characters, to show the plot devices and to show how they work as a team, all in the first 10 minutes. Then we shift to the past and everything is perfectly built up for the final battle, both in the future and the past. I love it when films can do this (many directors try but fail) and this was one of those rare movies that made me care equally about the slow, character scenes and the action which was fantastic.

All in all, I'd say this is the best X-Men movie and in the top 5 of all the comic book movies

10/10” – Darkelf

:congrats:  the best superhero movie of 2014, it's settled guys.

Good job everyone.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 2

Number 4

Mockingjay Part 1 – 190 points, appears on 26 lists, #1 on 5 lists

kXVW30P.png

yCOyHdk.png

The penultimate movie in the Hunger Games franchise had it all, long meetings, sitting around tables, formulating strategies, deciding between boys, a disjointed action sequence and a weird cliffhanger. But well, the masses have spoken. The current #1 movie of 2014.

Boxoffice: 335M Domestic / 713M Worldwide

BOF User Reviews:

This movie was one hell of a emotional roller coaster ride. What comes to mind is a combination of the bravado from Fury, and the stance of unity from Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

While I know the claim about a lack of action, in a way itself it makes up with glued to your edge scenes and dialogue. Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss nailed and made this entire movie. She should be nominated for an Oscar imo. There isn't one damn weak link in this movie, in terms of actors. The people who loved Dawn of the Planet of the Apes or the ones who were captivated by Fury, could find something to love with Mockingjay. The Hunger Games has changed for me in a lot of ways, excuse my language but a big mindfuck. I've been emotionally compromised. It brings you into Katniss's world and you see the true pain that lies within her, you can feel it and it's almost transparent while there are little minor slight bits of comedy sort of a black comedy feel but well done as maybe a form of levity (the audience laughed at some scenes meant to be humorous) but overall it's consistent with it's tone, it doesn't become a mess of a film. The way you were brought in they leave you there almost the same way but by the end you're caught in the line, and you'll be left with something even more especially if you came in with little to no expectations. My anticipation was killing me in the waiting hours, but walking in I didn't try to expect too much but be overjoyed at the fact I had gotten to see it. My mind is a mess of things however, this will definitely require a second viewing. My heart was about to jump and rip out of my chest, I've never had myself in this kind of state before.

The Hanging Tree is The Hunger Games's new anthem. It broke away from their previous mold, and it just might surprise you. In terms of build-up, it was executed perfectly. To be honest, I didn't feel the scenes dragged on too long at all. I think there was always something happening to keep the story running, but paced out where there wasn't too much at once.

It's bold, it has a lot of heart in many ways than one and it is truly grim. It takes your mind to an incredible new place. You learn to grow to care more intimately about the rebellion, the upcoming war. It's also very emotionally draining. Shit, I'm surprised by how impactful this movie is. This is the Hunger Games movie you've been waiting for.

I give this an A” –  Everstar

• Like 6

:WHATanabe:

Number 4

Mockingjay Part 1 – 190 points, appears on 26 lists, #1 on 5 lists

kXVW30P.png

yCOyHdk.png

The penultimate movie in the Hunger Games franchise had it all, long meetings, sitting around tables, formulating strategies, deciding between boys, a disjointed action sequence and a weird cliffhanger. But well, the masses have spoken. The current #1 movie of 2014.

Boxoffice: 335M Domestic / 713M Worldwide

BOF User Reviews:

This movie was one hell of a emotional roller coaster ride. What comes to mind is a combination of the bravado from Fury, and the stance of unity from Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

While I know the claim about a lack of action, in a way itself it makes up with glued to your edge scenes and dialogue. Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss nailed and made this entire movie. She should be nominated for an Oscar imo. There isn't one damn weak link in this movie, in terms of actors. The people who loved Dawn of the Planet of the Apes or the ones who were captivated by Fury, could find something to love with Mockingjay. The Hunger Games has changed for me in a lot of ways, excuse my language but a big mindfuck. I've been emotionally compromised. It brings you into Katniss's world and you see the true pain that lies within her, you can feel it and it's almost transparent while there are little minor slight bits of comedy sort of a black comedy feel but well done as maybe a form of levity (the audience laughed at some scenes meant to be humorous) but overall it's consistent with it's tone, it doesn't become a mess of a film. The way you were brought in they leave you there almost the same way but by the end you're caught in the line, and you'll be left with something even more especially if you came in with little to no expectations. My anticipation was killing me in the waiting hours, but walking in I didn't try to expect too much but be overjoyed at the fact I had gotten to see it. My mind is a mess of things however, this will definitely require a second viewing. My heart was about to jump and rip out of my chest, I've never had myself in this kind of state before.

The Hanging Tree is The Hunger Games's new anthem. It broke away from their previous mold, and it just might surprise you. In terms of build-up, it was executed perfectly. To be honest, I didn't feel the scenes dragged on too long at all. I think there was always something happening to keep the story running, but paced out where there wasn't too much at once.

It's bold, it has a lot of heart in many ways than one and it is truly grim. It takes your mind to an incredible new place. You learn to grow to care more intimately about the rebellion, the upcoming war. It's also very emotionally draining. Shit, I'm surprised by how impactful this movie is. This is the Hunger Games movie you've been waiting for.

I give this an A” –  Everstar