baumer

Baumer's top 50 films of 2014/Panda's top 20 of 2014 pg 8/Numbers pg 14

8. X-Men: Days of Future Past

To be completly honest this only the second X-Men film I've seen. Previously I had seen First Class on TV. Now I felt that First Class was a inconsisatant film but one that features a third act that is is so many miles abouve the rest of the film therefore elevating my opinion of the film a lot. There is no moment in this film as powerful as the third act of first class but it is a much more consistant and overall better film. The film cleverly uses to time travle, now time travle can be confusing as shit and have tons of fucking loopholes, but here it was straightforward, I understood exactly how it worked and there weren't any loopholes that I noticed. Now much like First Class this movie is the Fassbender/McAvoy show and is at it's best when either one or both of them are at the center of the film. The ending of the film while not as great as the ending of First Class is still excellent. It still focuses on the battle between Magneto and Charlse not phisically but the willpower and belief of what is the propper way for mutants to live.

• Like 2

There's a certain point where different opinions can come down to taste, but bashing the Beatles isn't just bad taste, it's ignorant.

That is very true, but it's very easy to be ignorant. I pretty accepted as fact that all classical music was boring lyricless shit up until about the age of 16.

• Like 1

7. Gaurdians of the Galaxy

So with Phase 2 Marvel has really been hitting it out of the park. Iron Man 3 was almost an A+ movie Thor was a strong B+/A- and Cap... well we'll get to that later on. This film is no different. It's a quirky space opera, featuring a bad-ass talking raccoon. The music from this film is great, it really sets the tone for the entire thing. So this team focuses on the team which we refer to as the Guardians of the Galaxy. We have Rocket, who is a charming character brought to life by Bradley Cooper. You have Groot... Gamora adds a strong presence to the film as the mature member of the group. Drax is kinda of the one from the group who may or may not be off to the side a little bit. Now the man who really steals  the show is Chris Prat as Peter Quil/Starlord. Truly great performance. This film in one instance shows that it has a lot of heart and it really works. Oh... Ronana was pretty damn intimidating. Now the greatest moment in this movie is absolutely outrageous and I understand that some people didn't like it because it undermined the villain, but I though it was beautiful and hysterical at the same time, it worked perfectly.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 1

There's a certain point where different opinions can come down to taste, but bashing the Beatles isn't just bad taste, it's ignorant.

Naaaa....Beatles aren't everyone's cup of tea,  They are loved by most but not by all.  Art is still based on opinion, always has been and always will be.

• Like 1

Naaaa....Beatles aren't everyone's cup of tea,  They are loved by most but not by all.  Art is still based on opinion, always has been and always will be.

You can say you personally don't like the Beatles, but what you can't dismiss is their complexity (in terms of pop and rock music), range, and influence.

• Like 6

You can say you personally don't like the Beatles, but what you can't dismiss is their complexity (in terms of pop and rock music), range, and influence.

But that's all I said.  :)

Never said anything as interesting or complex as what you did.   ;)

• Like 2

I think young people have a tendency to hear the beatles and think "that's it?!?" because they heard the 1001 more recent artists that the beatles inspired before hand. shit's become diluted. 

That's possible, but it's a very unique brand of music and to some, it's just not quite their tempo.

• Like 2

It's the beatles' style, to me they are just so freaking annoying. I seriously hate listening to their music. They are SO overrated.

They get played everywhere, on shops, tv programmes, adverts, and I'm just like SHUT THE HELL UP. More annoying than Jason Derulo

Well I've just seen a film that has leapt into the top 5 of the year which has come as quite a shock (as it only made about 8 million dollars worldwide and isn't foreign language).

Still a long way to go with January though as if all goes to plan there are maybe more than 10 films I may see in the next 2 weeks before I officially put myself forward to make a list.

But it's nice to have surprises come in from left field every now and again that can stop my list from lookin g like the enjoyed by the masses tat that it will mostly end up being :)

• Like 1

Well I've just seen a film that has leapt into the top 5 of the year which has come as quite a shock (as it only made about 8 million dollars worldwide and isn't foreign language).

Still a long way to go with January though as if all goes to plan there are maybe more than 10 films I may see in the next 2 weeks before I officially put myself forward to make a list.

But it's nice to have surprises come in from left field every now and again that can stop my list from lookin g like the enjoyed by the masses tat that it will mostly end up being :)

My #1 of the year only made about $8 million worldwide and isn't foreign language. :)

• Like 1

Damn, you got me Tele.

Then there's a very outside chance it could be the same film, but I don't want to give mine away just yet.  :)

Wouldn't surprise me at all if yours is the same as mine. Mine got fantastic reviews and audience rating (90%+ for both on RT) so it's quite possible. :)

The number of films that made $8M worldwide, are not foreign language, and well liked, is probably quite a small figure. ;)

Edited by treeroy

It's the beatles' style, to me they are just so freaking annoying. I seriously hate listening to their music. They are SO overrated.

They get played everywhere, on shops, tv programmes, adverts, and I'm just like SHUT THE HELL UP. More annoying than Jason Derulo

Check out the later stuff such as The White Album, Let It Be, and Abbey Road. That may change your perception.

Edit: Try I Want you (She's so Heavy), Dear Prudence, Happiness is a Warm Gun, Helter Skelter, Dig a Pony, Because. Just to name a few.

Edited by Clavius
  • Like 1