Ethan Hunt

top 50 films for the half decade; Kalo's list begins! (pg. 45)

17. Inception

This film has a facinating concept. Going into other people's dreams, what isn't cool about that. I love the way the dreams are setup and what the people are actually able to do with them. Now what does this film have besides an insanely cool concept? Well some pretty well put together action sequences. Some excellent characters and performances. But let's get down to it. The mystery of Cobb's wife. It's facenating and kept me on edge throughout the movie trying to full understand things. The final act of this movie deseves a large round of applause, because it get intense. I have to applaud Nolan for making this movie.

• Like 10

16. Catching Fire

Hail Francis Lawernce for saving us from the direction of Garry Ross. Lawernce sets up a beautiful a beauful atmosphere for this film. It just feels like there is something hanging in the air as you watch this movie. Now to the other Lawence. Jenifer Lawernce is amazing in this film. She brings to life Katniss Everdeen as one of the greatest protagonists known in literature. She is single-handedly capable of moving me emotionally ( with her performance in this movie.)  LIam Hemensworth and Josh Huthunson have a little bit more balanced screentime and I feel that that is benifical to both characters.

• Like 2

The last 15 films here are the films I consider A +'s from the past 5 years. The films that stand above the rest, and are just on an entirely different level. I will say, putting these films in an order was difficult for me. I rewatched many of them recently in order into make my order as accurate as possible.

15. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

In this movie you see an Ape civilazation that is living in that one Caesar went to in the end of the last movie. Caesar has childeren and a wife now. The first bit of this movie which just focuses on this civilazation is beautiful. You get to see all of the monkeys from the first one and where they are now. Then the humans come in lead by Jason Clarke. Clarke gives an excellent performance in this movie he really does. I really like seeing the humans and apes come together and trying to form a bond. it's really great to watch. One scene that really effected me was the gas station scene when the power finally came on, and the music started playing it was just beautiful to watch. This movie is much more grand in it's scale than the first movie and the stroy is very ambitous. Let's talk about Toby Kebble as Koba. He kills it his performance is absolutly brilliant. The arch of his character is a key compnent in that ambitous story that I mentioned. There were plenty of scenes in this movie that had me tearing up. One in particualr where Caesar is talking to his son.

• Like 10

wow that last 5 or so (aside from KFP2, which was still good) were brilliant! although a few of them would be higher on my list.

Edited by KaloVisor
  • Like 2

14. We Bought a Zoo

Matt Damon plays the single father of two childern. He's just excellent in this movie. Both of his childeren are great too. Scarlett Joahnsson is perfection in her role. Now I just get caught up in this movie. I get caught up in Benjamin's relationship with his son, I get caught up in them making the zoo work, just everything. I care about the animals from the zoo. And I hope against hope that they're able to get the zoo running on time. Emotianally this movie just hits me. Of course I get caught up in the romeance between the kid and the and the other kid. like really, really caught up. THe scene where he's talking to his dad about how he feels about the girl and the following scene where he runs to her window and tells here how he feels are brilliance pure as it comes. The bit about Benjamin and his dead wife is also really effective.

• Like 1

13. Frozen

When I went to see this movie I wasn't sure what to expect. Well from the second the movie starts it's incredible. I was sucked in by the opening number and was never taken out of the experience. I was shedding tears by the end of  "Do you wanna build a Snowman."  I absolutly fell in love with the character of Anna duriing "For the First timie in Forever" (my favorite song from the film.) I actually really liked Hans when we were first introduced to him (that would change later though.) Then of course there is the empowering performance of "Let it Go" which is an incrediablly entertaing sequene to watch. Now one very important thing about this movie, I LAUGHED MY ASS OFF. This movie utterly hillarious. Especially one little snowman named Olaf. The mashup song that Anna and Elsa sing in Elsa's Ice castle is another outstanding musical moment in the film. Hans is a douchebag. the scene where Olaf and Anna are talking by the fire is incredibly touching. And the last part was actually hella suspensful.

• Like 6

Nothing wrong with being 15, I just think as you get older your taste in film will develop and change. I know mine sure did.

Speaking of aging, I see its your birthday today. Happy Birthday Empire! :D

• Like 2