Ezen Baklattan

Kubo & The Two Strings | 8/19/16 | LAIKA | Early Reviews are Very Positive

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I'm hoping this is the first stop motion film in ages to break $100m domestically, it's been far too long since Chicken Run for a stop motion film to break out. 

I love Chicken Run! I'm pretty sure I still have the VHS of the movie at home somewhere lol.

It's one of my favorite animations, probably top 20. 

Crazy that hat it has held on to the stop motion record for that long. 

• Like 1

Early on Metacritic usually gives a better indication of where a movie's reception is heading. The trades don't give ratings so they're not counted in the average, but ultimately RT still has a much bigger sample size 

Edited by tribefan695

4 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I'm hoping this is the first stop motion film in ages to break $100m domestically, it's been far too long since Chicken Run for a stop motion film to break out. 

That'd be great, but I'd be surprised if it make 90m.Stop-motion just seems like to have little mainstream audience appeal. It looks great though.

6 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

That'd be great, but I'd be surprised if it make 90m.Stop-motion just seems like to have little mainstream audience appeal. It looks great though.

To me, studios like Laika and Aardman push the boundaries of stop motion, Aardman is probably a little bit safer compared to Laika but both do produce great work. I couldn't see the likes of Illumination or Blue Sky do something like Kubo

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

To me, studios like Laika and Aardman push the boundaries of stop motion, Aardman is probably a little bit safer compared to Laika but both do produce great work. I couldn't see the likes of Illumination or Blue Sky do something like Kubo

I don't think we'd get a work like Coraline, ParaNorman, Box Trolls, or Kubo from those studios. Laika is truly in a place of it's own in it's approach and style to film making.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Laika is truly an impressive studio, both in terms of animation and story. They're currently 4 for 4 for me, counting Corpse Bride. I'm also very fond of Aardman.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

1 minute ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Laika is truly an impressive studio, both in terms of animation and story. They're currently 5 for 5 for me, counting Corpse Bride. I'm also very fond of Aardman.

You've seen Kubo? or are you talking about Moongirl?

1 minute ago, RandomJC said:

You've seen Kubo? or are you talking about Moongirl?

Sorry I haven't seen it, my mistake. I was just thinking of the total number of Laika films when I made that. I'm sure I'll really like though, since I'm an animation fan in general.

Just now, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Sorry I haven't seen it, my mistake. I was just thinking of the total number of Laika films when I made that. I'm sure I'll really like though, since I'm an animation fan in general.

Got my hopes up. :D

But yes, I can't wait till Friday, one of my big films of the year.

• Like 1

Laika is truly an impressive studio, both in terms of animation and story. They're currently 4 for 4 for me, counting Corpse Bride. I'm also very fond of Aardman.

I prefer Aardman but I can appreciate Laika's output, both are so different in their approach to story and characters. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Morieris said:

Regal has a deal - see it in 3D on the 20th and get some pins. I don't know why it's not opening day...I really hope that RT score doesn't drop below 90%, 87% if it has to.

Based on the reviews that have come in so far (assuming random sampling, normal distribution, etc.), most probable final RT score is around 94%. Assuming that any reviews of 3/5, 2.5/4 or higher will be "Fresh", and that non-rated reviews will be have a similar fresh/rotten ratio, then there's about a 15% chance the final score could drop below 90%, and a less than 5% chance the final score could drop below 87%.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I prefer Aardman but I can appreciate Laika's output, both are so different in their approach to story and characters. 

Aardman is more slapsticky and tends to make fairly humorous animated films with heart, while Laika tends to make more horror-based animated films with scary imagery, with humor thrown on the side (though Boxtrolls was a bit more slapsticky and Kubo looks to be playing things fairly straight). I appreciate both companies for how different they are.

• Like 1

Aardman is more slapsticky and tends to make fairly humorous animated films with heart, while Laika tends to make more horror-based animated films with scary imagery, with humor thrown on the side (though Boxtrolls was a bit more slapsticky and Kubo looks to be playing things fairly straight). I appreciate both companies for how different they are.

I couldn't see Aardman ever doing a film like Laika and vice versa simply because it wouldn't fit their styles. I'm interested to see Early Man as its Nick Park's first project since A Matter of Loaf and Death and his first non Wallace and Gromit film since Chicken Run

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I couldn't see Aardman ever doing a film like Laika and vice versa simply because it wouldn't fit their styles. I'm interested to see Early Man as its Nick Park's first project since A Matter of Loaf and Death and his first non Wallace and Gromit film since Chicken Run

Early Man sounds fairly promising, even if the prehistoric setting has been used in several animated films. I don't think Aardman can really do a horror-style animated film the way Laika does. Curse of The Were Rabbit got close, but even then it didn't feature any of the weird imagery that tends to pop up in Laika films.

• Like 1