Ezen Baklattan

Kubo & The Two Strings | 8/19/16 | LAIKA | Early Reviews are Very Positive

Gothic-animation/horror-animation I guess? Though Kubo doesn't  fall into that, another reason I think it will do better than their usual. And Burton also targets that genre as well, and long before Laika's existence. 

But Burton's recent fare has been mixed to say the least, and he still has some Disney sensibilities that Laika's works don't so much.

Laika really does "make the films they want to make". They aren't trying to please as many as possible the way the major players do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Actually the entire top 8 highest grossing SM films fall into that horror animation sub-genre, except for Chicken Run. So it's the go-to niche for the medium. 

Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit isn't really horror, more of a spoof of horror films. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

But Burton's recent fare has been mixed to say the least, and he still has some Disney sensibilities that Laika's works don't so much.

Laika really does "make the films they want to make". They aren't trying to please as many as possible the way the major players do.

Don't necessarily love Corpse Bride or Frankenweenie from Burton but they really seem like the movies he wanted to make... Especially Corpse Bride. Very small audience for that one and weird, kitschy musical numbers from Elfman.

• Like 1

Reviews are strong but as stellar as expected. Another rotten recently surfaced. That said, I expect metacritic to remain at or above 80 and RT to remain at or above 90%. But, I guess we'll see?

I'mpresively, Top Critics at RT are 9 to 0 with an impressive 9/10 rating average.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Reviews are strong but as stellar as expected. Another rotten recently surfaced. That said, I expect metacritic to remain at or above 80 and RT to remain at or above 90%. But, I guess we'll see?

I'mpresively, Top Critics at RT are 9 to 0 with an impressive 9/10 rating average.

The 9/10 is impressive but the avg is only from 3 reviews (A, A-, 4/5)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Morieris said:

How'd you see it? I got a 3D ticket for dirt cheap tomorrow, couldn't pass it up.

2D. I'm jealous, this movie would look great in 3D. 2nd best animated movie for me. Little Prince eels out first, but that hit very specific emotional nerves for me.

Kubo is gorgeous. The best Laika's put out.

• Like 2