Ezen Baklattan

Kubo & The Two Strings | 8/19/16 | LAIKA | Early Reviews are Very Positive

40 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I guess for me the script called to mind an English dubbed Ghibli movie and added to its charm

I don't deny that. I kind of thought that as well. But, I mean, it wasn't an English dubbed movie. Do you think that was Laika's intention?

Also, again, I'm shocked to hear any complaints regarding the story, themes, pathos, sense of adventure present within the narrative and what I thought was the perfect note to end the movie on... I can't imagine a better, more resonant close to the story.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

I don't deny that. I kind of thought that as well. But, I mean, it wasn't an English dubbed movie. Do you think that was Laika's intention?

I do, actually. I mean, I've had that sort of problem with their previous films but here their on the nose dialogue felt like it fit

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I believe Knight has talked about Ghibli being an inspiration for the film. Though I couldn't tell you where I heard it.

1 minute ago, RandomJC said:

I believe Knight has talked about Ghibli being an inspiration for the film. Though I couldn't tell you where I heard it.

He did. Just seems an odd reason to dumb down the dialogue. Ghibli's dubbed versions play as they do because they're dubbed and translated. Again, a minor complaint. But, something I can see irked the average viewer.

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

He did. Just seems an odd reason to dumb down the dialogue. Ghibli's dubbed versions play as they do because they're dubbed and translated. Again, a minor complaint. But, something I can see irked the average viewer.

I can see, and have, the average viewer getting irked by that narrative as a whole, because it isn't complex. But it is very much the type of story that it's trying to tell.

1 hour ago, RandomJC said:

He said it in his Collider interview. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Uh oh, looks like they should have gotten Neil Gaiman to doctor the dialogues.

4 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Uh oh, looks like they should have gotten Neil Gaiman to doctor the dialogues.

Laika would be a great studio to adapt some more of Neil Gaiman's work, novel or comics.

I'm now thinking of a Sandman adaptation done by Laika...

Edited by RandomJC

1 minute ago, RandomJC said:

Laika would be a great studio to adapt some more of Neil Gaiman's work, novel or comics.

I'm now thinking of a Sandman adaptation done by Laika...

Heh, I had momentarily forgotten about Coraline. I mentioned Gaiman because he wrote the English translation for Princess Mononoke, which Miyazaki and Ghibli loved so much that they wanted him to translate more of their films (but unfortunately he wasn't available).

The issue with Kubo's screenplay as explained by Johnny Gossamer on the previous page seems just the thing that Gaiman would have taken care of. Apparently the themes and story are good, so Gaiman would have been able to illustrate them with rich, vivid dialogues. Oh well. 

• Like 1

I watched it in 3D - well worth it, but in retrospect it seems a bit odd that while I had depth perception for everything, the protagonist didn't.

Not sure if this is supposed to be a knock on the character, but I liked Kubo. Less mopey than Norman and less bratty than Coraline

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

Not sure if this is supposed to be a knock on the character, but I liked Kubo. Less mopey than Norman and less bratty than Coraline

I think he's making a nerdy joke about Kubo having only one eye, not something about his personality or skills etc.

• Like 1